Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitters

Dinosang

I like my Ramsey, have had it for years and would compare the audio quality to a broadcast station. The comparison done at the texas mini was not an accurate representation of an FM30 (a properly assembled Ramsey transmitter don't sound like that). Being pre-assembled means nothing, Ramsey only sells kits, who ever assembled that one did a poor job.

As long as one follows proper ESD precautions (don't touch the antenna with out grounding your self first), and it will last for years.

I however have a TM100 antenna with the whip removed and a grounding block in line and would only have it that way.

Using a set of rabbit ears for the transmitter antenna is only asking for a blown output......

Bill

Bill, the only problem is that they don't all sound like yours. Harrison and many other TCL members bought professionally built units and some were skillfully assembled by members ... and many (NOT ALL) sounded just like Harrison FM30B. His test was demonstrating how some percentage of units sound, not all. But if you want to infer that he had the worst Ramsey in Texas and then tested it to make EDM look good ... thats not the case and why would he want to do that? Harrison only wants whats best for others ... I know that from talking to him. Like you, he helps other members with his own time and money ... for the good of others.

Nobody is saying (or even claiming) Ramsey transmitters can't be good or are not serving most members well. They largely ARE. Like anything sold in large volumes, you also get more stories of complaints and troubles.

That said, once upon a time ... there were other big players (i.e. panaxis) and then along came new player Ramsey ... the market finally figured out the Ramseys were good and certainly better than the late model panaxis units which were crippled for Part15 operation and they didn't offer kits the way Ramsey eventually did.

The EDM transmitters have been around for 7 years. In that time, it's mostly been the original EDM LED that was sold. In the last 1 to 1.5 years, the EDM LCD replaced the LED as the flagship transmitter ... with a number of incremental improvement made to the LED going into the LCD design.

The EDM LED is still sold and is quite a bargain in terms of price vs. performance.

I can tell you that the TOTAL number of failed EDM units in those years is far less than the number I've simply read about from fellow members on the this and other Christmas forums. But in fairness, there are many more sold.

So when I went looking for my FIRST transmitter, I discovered many pirate radio boards ... and after reading PC and LOR forums ... I expected Ramsey to be all the rage. But to my surprise, they were talking about EDM's ... EDM who? So I could tell that EDM was known in certain circles (broadcasting) and not in others (light shows).
I took a risk on the EDM, bought it and was blown away by its good performance. I then tried to get group buys so our users could discover this product that could be useful to our endeavor. I think as Dennis said ... it's a good thing for the hobby.

I can tell you that Ramsey doesn't post specifications on their units. EDM does. Ramsey has a one year warranty and EDM has a two year warranty. Draw your own conclusions (if any) from that. That doesn't mean Ramsey is bad. We all know you can fix its shortcomings, if they appear at all ... and have a great transmitter.

Even the founder of Ramsey (John Ramsey) is now off selling his own transmitters ... but I don't know anything about them. http://ramseytransmitters.com/

Now keep in mind that EDM is a S. African company and their currency (the SA Rand) is in the toilet and has been for a long time (never recovered after international sanctions were lifted after apartheid ended). THeir exchange rate against the dollar when from 6:1 to 8:1 in just the last 12 months alone.

So my take is that these units are priced so competitively because of this currency conversion that makes their units very affordable right now.

Yes, it is a tiny company and no comparison on sales between Ramsey and EDM.
You similarly can't compare sales and infer superiority or inferiority based on that.

When I discovered this amazing product earlier this year, there was virtually nobody here using the EDM. Maybe a few at most. Ramsey is and was the defacto standard for FM transmitters in this hobby. I don't think thats a bad thing. I just think a few folks tried something new this year and got lucky because the EDM was a dark horse that could really run. EIther way, Ramsey and EDM as so much better than the other alternatives (and there ARE some dud brands out there).

I can tell you on paper, you might say the Ramsey and the EDM use the same chip ... so same performance, right? Well, not exactly. Ramsey (apparently) took the chip manufacturer specs and implemented per them. EDM actually tried to see if they could enhance the performance beyond those specs and was successful in doing so.

On the subject of the GAL, EDM recognized and publicly has said they know of these problems ... so they purposely used the older generation chip, which was proven to be realiable and free of the problem related to the GAL. Being a software developer myself, I value INNOVATION and thinking outside the box -- to make something better. I saw EDM doing this and they might be rewarded for it someday.

The power supply on the EDM, IMHO is better ... but that said, most folks reading this could find a better one and yes ... a better power supply does help any transmitter sound cleaner. But the power supply is only a fraction of the reason why the SNR on the EDM is so good.

The way EDM takes care of customers ... only reminds me of a few companies. One of them is LOR. With a customer is always right focus ... EDM and LOR are winners in my book. From most stories I've heard, Ramsey is also a first class company as well with excellent support.

Scott

I agree, like I said and you touched on. Ramsey is widely owned and a lot of people have them, so the problems will be more from Ramsey owners since they are the majority used. So you will hear more people having problems with them because they are so widely owned. EDM is still making it's niche in the market as far as Christmas Displays go. So the problems if any, you won't hear about at all and few it any. EDM shouldn't be discounted as a good transmitter just because they haven't been around and you shouldn't discount Ramsey ether because of all the problems you hear. That is because Ramsey is widely owned as mentioned. I am sure as EDM becomes more popular and is more widely used there flaws will come out as well. Only time will tell. I have a very solid transmitter nether Ramsey or EDM, but I would like to try out the EDM and if it is no better then the one I have. Then I have an extra, but I do like how it can be mounted in my sound rack which is a bonus.

Do these EDMs have an option for a external antenna?

The EDM has an RCA connector for the antenna ... so you can convert to just about anything you have on the antenna side. Typically that might be a RCA to F-con adaptor. But no, there are not any antennas are pre-sold with them or for them specifically.

EDM announcement today:

Good news! As of the beginning 2009 we will be extending the warranty
on any EDM transmitter to 3 years!

Our products have been very reliable and in the past year we have seen
very, very few comebacks or failures. Some of these were probably due
to misuse by the end user or problems with a 3rd party power pack. This
will apply to new and previous sales. We believe that not many other
competitors can make this claim or are willing to risk such a bold
move.

We have confidence in our product designs and want to pass that on to
you, our customers.

We have customers with some of the very first EDM LED transmitters
still running after 7 years of constant use.

EDM Team

Scott

I am not saying the EDM is not a fine unit (don't know, never used one) but you keep referencing the Texas mini test when ever you are trying to talk someone into buying an EDM, when the fact of the matter is the FM30 used in that test had a problem. period.

You say it was professionally assembled, buying it from Hobbytron or some outfit like it don't count as professionally assembled, every unit from Hobbytron I have worked on the soldering looked like crap and I ended up re-soldering the entire board, then they sound really good and work like they are suppose to.

I just wonder if the Texas mini FM30 has the circuit board to case electrical contact issue which Ramsey came up with a fix for a couple years ago. I like my fix for that problem better.

Bill