Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar data stored location?

k6ccc

Anyone who has read this forum much is aware that I am very serious about backing up my data files.  So I thought of something and could not come up with an answer...

In S5, SuperStar exports back to Sequencer an .avi file that is a video of the SuperStar effects.  If you double click on a SuperStar Effect in Sequencer, you are brought back to SuperStar, and all the effects are there in the proper places so you can edit the effects in SuperStar.  Since we all know that you cant go backwards from the rendered effects back to the SuperStar commands that created them, I have to assume that somewhere, there is a .sup for (or equivalent) saved that contains the data that would otherwise be in a .sup file.  I thought I had found those files in LORInternal\SSTemp, but that seems not to be the case.  So where are these data files that I need to back up (in addition to the gigabytes of .avi files and the .loredit files)?

You are correct that superstar passes back the contents of a .sup file to the sequencer. It does so in the LORInternal and LORInternal\SSTemp directories. But it would not help you to save those files. They are temporary and the Sequencer only looks for them at the time that it gets control back from superstar. The sequencer then puts the .sup information into the LOREdit file. 

Note that the .avi files can be reproduced by double clicking on the superstar data in the S5 Sequencer and after superstar comes up, shut down superstar and the .avi file will be recreated. Think of the .avi file as being similar to the intensity data that got exported to the Sequence Editor in S4.

31 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

You are correct that superstar passes back the contents of a .sup file to the sequencer. It does so in the LORInternal and LORInternal\SSTemp directories. But it would not help you to save those files. They are temporary and the Sequencer only looks for them at the time that it gets control back from superstar. The sequencer then puts the .sup information into the LOREdit file. 

Ah, that makes sense, and when I looked at a .loredit file with NotePad, sure enough, the SuperStar data was there to be found.

32 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

Note that the .avi files can be reproduced by double clicking on the superstar data in the S5 Sequencer and after superstar comes up, shut down superstar and the .avi file will be recreated. Think of the .avi file as being similar to the intensity data that got exported to the Sequence Editor in S4.

Thanks.  Very useful information!