Light-O-Rama Forums

G4-MP3 Director Support

KYHI

Can anyone explain this based upon LOR Advertising?

The N2-G4-MP3 Director is a compact, powerful Light-O-Rama Show Director
The two networks can run up to 1000K which allows this director to control up to 10,000 channels

The N4-G4-MP3 Director is a compact, powerful Light-O-Rama Show Director
The four networks can run up to 1000K each which allows this director to control up to 50,000 channels

As it appears the N2 supports 5,000 channels per network port and the N4 supports 12,500 Channels per network port (at 1000K) what I am overlooking? (other then the each ?)

Edited by KYHI

3 hours ago, KYHI said:

As it appears the N2 supports 5,000 channels per network port and the N4 supports 12,500 Channels per network port (at 1000K) what I am overlooking? (other then the each ?)

Good question.  I have no idea... seems like they would support the same number of channels from each network port.  Have you submitted the question to LOR?

16 hours ago, KYHI said:

What you are missing here is the N2 is a DUAL or TWO Network Director, the N4 is a 4 or Quad Network Director, this is why the N4 is capable of handling a larger display and more channels. 

On my N4, I have Network 1 {Regular NON-Enhanced, 115K speed for older CTB16PC V2 controllers}, Network 2, 500K Enhanced {Aux A} controls 6 CCB100D RGB Controllers, Network 3, 1,000K Enhanced {Aux B} controls my 2 Pixie2D's controlling 2 LOR Singing Christmas Trees, Network 4, 500K Enhanced {Aux C} also controls 6 CCB100D RGB Controllers.   I could get away with just 3 networks, but the way my display in 2020 was set up, the 4 network set-up worked out better for me.

If I'd have been using an N2-G3 or N2-G4 Director with only 2 Networks, then I couldn't have ran my show correctly, as I needed at least that 3rd Network for things to run smoothly.

But that's the difference between them, the number of Networks built into them.  Also the N4-G4 also has the capability to be daisy chained to another N4-G4 Director to give you even more networks, this is only available in later versions of S5.   This capability DOES NOT exist in any prior version of the LOR Software Suite.  I think it started somewhere with or around the middle or so versions of the S5 software, don't recall the exact version, but some of the early S5 versions don't support this either, if I read the info correctly.   And you also need the latest firmware for this ability to work.  But you also DO NOT use an SD Card on any Director except the first one that is Controlling the show, the rest don't have SD Cards and are only used for adding additional networking.   At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Best bet here is look and read through the manuals of both Director units.  But for future growth, and if using the latest version of S5, I'd go with the N4-G4 Director unit.  As you can add and do more with it as your show expands and grows.

Edited by Orville

My question is not about 2 or 4 Networks.. It is about the difference (in the Math) per network port..

Thanks for your input.

This would appear to be a question for the LOR engineers which the majority of us are not.

For the best and correct answer I would recommend you submitting a HD ticket.  It could be as simple as a typo which happens sometimes.

JR

A Light-O-Rama help desk staff member has replied to your request, #******* with the following response:

Sorry for the confusion. Those numbers were all screwed up. The N2 numbers were based on the G3 not the G4 and the N4 were original numbers that we subsequently adjusted to make them more conservative.

The number we have standardized for the G4 directors is 9000 channels per port. Because the protocol we use involves compression there are no actual absolute maximum numbers for channels. You can run 12,000 on one network (or more). The system will allow it but with experimentation and couple of years of field testing and feedback from customers we have decided that 9000 channels is a good number. Again, sorry for the confusion.

We hope this has sufficiently answered your questions.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked