Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Calculation Correct?

James Hill

Hello everyone.

I purchased an LOR Pixie 8 and want to verify my calculations.

I plan on having 120 ws2811 per port with a dim curve of 30%

If the pixels draw at MAX Power 0.8W.......

120 x 0.8W = 96W per string (@ MAX)

96W x 30%(dim curve) = 28.8W (approx.) per string

Since.... Watts / Volts = Amps

28.8 Watts / 12 Volts = 2.4 Amps

Since the Amps are 2.4 and the Pixie per port is 4A fused....I am good right? or did I calculate wrong?

Thanks for the help.

You are good.

As I mentioned before and often. Turn them down to 30-50% they are plenty bright

Inwould also recommend having 2 psu’s but that is your decision to make. Depending on what they are used for and the creativity of the sequences you may be alright with a single psu.

I don’t know how many watts the LOR pixie8 is assembled with.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

28 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I don’t know how many watts the LOR pixie8 is assembled with.

JR

Not sure what you mean here. On one bank I'd only be maxed out with almost 116 watts if all were full on white.

Thanks for verifying my calcs. I feel better :)

Also, thanks for the shopping list for the box enclosure. Is there a rack for multi psu's or do they bolt to the plate from the side of the psu's?

Also, I'd want 2 x Cat5 Extensions, no? to daisy chain later?

You mentioned you have a build message string? How do I get there? Just wanting to educate myself.

Thanks again.

The psu’s would mount on their sides to the mounting plate. The generic mounting plate has 4 holes for those.

There is a tab on the generic mounting plate that snaps off and on the front side that tab is used as a support bridge.

I guess my build message thread had been maxed out. I built a new thread today and will add you to it.

Yes, if you will be daisy chaining from your pixie you will want to cat5 extensions

On a pixie8 I would not recommend or build with less than 500w.

For my builds and builds I do for others I always recommend 2 psu’s. But some people don’t like to pay the extra cost of a larger enclosure and additional psu

JR

I'll probably pick up 2 250w psu's. That way if I change things I already have the power. You are right though....for the price of a 250 psu...you might as well.