Light-O-Rama Forums

Software question

KBK

Hello,  I am running Basic plus  S4 with (64) channel system and would like to start slowly adding pixels...Or pixel tree. What Software do I need to upgrade to?   Thank you for the help. 

Start here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

As you know, your Basic Plus level license will handle what you have, but not much more.  If you are going to get into pixels very much, you are going to need a Pro level license very quickly.  My recommendation is to go just straight to the Pro.

Also, your forum profile shows version 5.2.4, but you said S4.  Again, if you are going to do much with pixels, I would upgrade to the latest S5 - which as I type this is 5.5.18.  There is a learning curve when moving from S4 to S5, but this is the time of year to make that move - you have most of the year to figure it out.

Thank you Jim.  Yeah for some reason my profile is wrong.   I have thought about switching to S5 but I have heard horror stories and it has me kinda iffy about it lol.   I have a ton of thinking to do and I appreciate this so much.  

You can easily update your forum profile.

Most of the "horror" stories are from people who have not figured it out.  Once you figure out the differences, S5 has far more potential than S4 does.  Besides, at some point, S4 will stop being updated.

S5 has also come a long way since it was beta'd  three and a half years or so ago. It is much more stable than even a year ago and a lot of the "horror stories" are from early in its development.

I have been using it for two years and two seasons now and can recommend it.

So I went to software and did not see anything for S5 upgrade.  Am I missing it somewhere?  I see Showtime,  Designer, and Superstar.    Sorry for all the questions. 

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

S5 has also come a long way since it was beta'd  three and a half years or so ago. It is much more stable than even a year ago and a lot of the "horror stories" are from early in its development.

I have been using it for two years and two seasons now and can recommend it.

FWIW, 100% agree with Phil's and Jim's comments.  I am glad I made the switch and would recommend it also.

15 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Been running S5 for 2 years no issues.

Any you sequence very well.

Any you get credit for being one of the members that pushed me enough to go to S5.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Once I can get my new "refurbished" computer set up {dreading Windows 1}0, had to get my wifes new {refurbished} laptop set up with it when she got it and I've never been so frustrated with a Windows Package except for Windows 98 when it first came out.  But Windows 10 had me ready to go find a sledgehammer and smash that %&$#%^*&(*%^$#%$^& laptop till ther was nothing left of it.   This is the worst POS OS Microsoft has ever came out with.  Windows 98 flustered me a bit, but not as bad as this new POS OS!

Anyway, that's my rant on that, but once I get the new computer up, it's getting S4.4.16 installed on it, S5 will get installed on the older unit I'm using now to learn {hopefully} how to make things work in it and get things working like lighting up lights. 

I would like and prefer to move to S5, but it seems I just CAN NOT get a grasp on how to add props to the darn thing!  I think if I could actually master a simple add controller and lights in a HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL SINGLE STRAND fashion {I keep getting a Circle EVERY time I try this and I'm NOT choosing a Circle!} then I think I could hopefully have the rest fall in place.  I use a lot of RGB strands with a 90 degree turn, like a roof line or on my 66 foot handicap ramp.  But every dadburn time I try this, I keep getting an darn circle.  Have no idea why, again because I am NOT choosing a Circle.  And that's one of the few reasons I haven't migrated to S5 yet.

Yes, I've watched videos and tutorials, but somewhere, somehow I'm missing something on adding controllers and lights/props in S5.  Anyone have any suggestions or ideas what I'm doing incorrectly?

I do have S5 on another even older system than the one I'm currently using, so not sure if that may have any effect on adding props, I wouldn't think so....but who knows what Windows may opt to do with software at times.

So for now, I'm still sticking with what I know well and can utilize, if I can learn S5 early enough in the season, then I may migrate to it.  Also planning on purchasing a Superstar 40 CCR License when some additional funding becomes available.

Edited by Orville
Stated incorrectly S4.4.18 when it was actually S4.4.16.

Orville

Start with something easy. The LOR Singing Quartet. The props are built in and can be downloaded.

Here is my CCR tree build , in its own preview because the video was made for another member.

Only under the “green +” in the preview design select download a prop from the Light O Rama website.

Just follow that and that will get you started. That will help you learn. And you can add all of your props to that and rename the preview later.

It is a start to finish. The LOR singers are even easier.

JR