Light-O-Rama Forums

Basics of getting started

Sam house

Just getting this figured out for my first show next year. I want to start off real basic and add every year as I get thing figured out.  I downloaded  a preset sequence from wow lights but can’t figure how to add it into a sequence.  

Also. Do I need to create a preview of my yard and house before moving forward fo a basic 16 channel display?

19 minutes ago, Sam house said:

Do I need to create a preview of my yard and house before moving forward fo a basic 16 channel display?

Yes.  It does not need to actually look like your house, there just needs to have all the channels in an arrangement that makes sense to you.  Of course you CAN make it an actual map of your yard.

Thank you Jim,

after looking more it looks like my software is s4 not s5. So I use visualizer. Is it worth it to upgrade to s5?

It looks like there is an option to put a photo if my house in there. Is that the case?

14 minutes ago, Sam house said:

Thank you Jim,

after looking more it looks like my software is s4 not s5. So I use visualizer. Is it worth it to upgrade to s5?

It looks like there is an option to put a photo if my house in there. Is that the case?

Just starting out, I would suggest S5.

I love S4 and the Vis but S5 has a lot of powerful tools so when, not if, you get in to pixels is great .

Yes can add a picture to your preview. Just like the S4 vis.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Better to learn S5 now in the off season and while your setup is relatively straightforward. Then you will be ahead of the game when, not if, you start to use pixels.

If you purchased the sequence at WOW Lights, they deliver theirs as compressed zipped files. You need you double click the zip file to unpack it and it gives the option of where to put it. Once it is unzipped, you should be able to open the S4 sequencer and then open the sequence.

As @PhilMassey above says, you should really start out with S5. Your license should cover S5 up to the same level as you are using for S4. Same stapes as above for S5. A LOT of the sequences at WOW lights have an S5 preview as separate, I'm pretty sure free, download. That should at least get you started.

I would agree - since you are just starting out, go with S5.  No point in learning S4 and then having to re-learn when you move to S5.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, tlogan said:

If you purchased the sequence at WOW Lights, they deliver theirs as compressed zipped files. You need you double click the zip file to unpack it and it gives the option of where to put it. Once it is unzipped, you should be able to open the S4 sequencer and then open the sequence.

As @PhilMassey above says, you should really start out with S5. Your license should cover S5 up to the same level as you are using for S4. Same stapes as above for S5. A LOT of the sequences at WOW lights have an S5 preview as separate, I'm pretty sure free, download. That should at least get you started.

Thanks for the help. Getting things figured out abit now. That was helpful.  Was trying to make things easy on myself and just purchase sequences from wow lights. After playing w the visualizer and a sequence I’ve been playing with from them I realize I hate how they have 10 channels to the mini trees. I was planning on having 5 mini trees then allocate those other 5 channels to other lights. After getting into this more using the visualizeer it Seems like it might be more work than I thought to reprogram those 5 other channels or is it easier than it seems??I’m planning on just using a 16 channel system for now. Keep in mind I’m not a computer guy, I own a gym and personal train people all day. I’m impressed with myself I was able to figure out this much. I Didn’t want to spend tons of time on this at this point. Trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this the first year as I wrap my brain around this. Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

I started out the same way. Currently, all my sequences are from WOW. I'm starting to re-think the 10 mini trees as well. As for reprogramming those 5 channels, it depends on what you want to do with them. I found cut and paste is my friend when it comes to sequencing. ESPECIALLY the PASTE SPECIAL command. The problem is that they do a really nice job of sequencing say, all 10 going from 1-10 like a chase sequence, right in time with the music. If you are going to cut out half of them you need to re-time the start to finish. You can't just start at 1 and stop at 5 or start in the middle. It just won't line up with the music.  I'm thinking of reducing the 10 to 8 to be more in line with the LOR philosophy of groups of 4.  It should be easier to cut out only two.

I think you've figured out the most efficient way to do this to start out. It will take some time to get familiar and comfortable with the software. AND learning about setting up and taking everything down. Something to consider right off the bat that will save you a good amount of bucks up front is to make your own extension cords. Put the controllers close to the props and then run shorter extension cords. A long CAT five from the computer  or whatever you're using to run the show to the controller is cheap. 

You're in the right place, here. You'll find plenty of help from guys that have been doing this for years. And now that Christmas is over, they have more time to respond. So don't be afraid to ask. I've only been at this a couple of years but one thing I HAVE learned...get started NOW because Christmas will be here quicker than you think! 

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Sam house said:

Thanks for the help. Getting things figured out abit now. That was helpful.  Was trying to make things easy on myself and just purchase sequences from wow lights. After playing w the visualizer and a sequence I’ve been playing with from them I realize I hate how they have 10 channels to the mini trees. I was planning on having 5 mini trees then allocate those other 5 channels to other lights. After getting into this more using the visualizeer it Seems like it might be more work than I thought to reprogram those 5 other channels or is it easier than it seems??I’m planning on just using a 16 channel system for now. Keep in mind I’m not a computer guy, I own a gym and personal train people all day. I’m impressed with myself I was able to figure out this much. I Didn’t want to spend tons of time on this at this point. Trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this the first year as I wrap my brain around this. Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

Keep in mind the more channels per LED prop the more you can do with them. I don't know how many times I have been asked to sequence a song that someone has seen a video on youtube and expect the same results with limited controllers.

As you (not if you) expand keep that in mind. My mini trees had 6 - 100 strand colors until I switched to RGB. Using different color combinations can net you extra colors. 

JR

54 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Keep in mind the more channels per LED prop the more you can do with them. I don't know how many times I have been asked to sequence a song that someone has seen a video on youtube and expect the same results with limited controllers.

As you (not if you) expand keep that in mind. My mini trees had 6 - 100 strand colors until I switched to RGB. Using different color combinations can net you extra colors. 

JR

Totally I’ve been mowing that over. I’m already planning on wrapping them in with 2 colors but would eventually like to be able to control each color. My plan is to figure this out abit this year w one controller then next year add another to be able to utilize what your talking about. 

13 minutes ago, Sam house said:

I’m already planning on wrapping them in with 2 colors but would eventually like to be able to control each color.

I have to tell you, I discovered a local show here this year that looked to me like it was entirely AC channels. He had, what looked to me to be, a 16 channel mega tree that was at least three colors so you're talking 3 AC controllers for that one tree. 4 Arches, same thing. Seemed like most of his props were that way but. MAN, what a show! And it turns out he's only about 2 miles from my house.

I gotta admit, it really got me thinking about MY show and some things I can do to spruce it up! 

2 hours ago, tlogan said:

I started out the same way. Currently, all my sequences are from WOW. I'm starting to re-think the 10 mini trees as well. As for reprogramming those 5 channels, it depends on what you want to do with them. I found cut and paste is my friend when it comes to sequencing. ESPECIALLY the PASTE SPECIAL command. The problem is that they do a really nice job of sequencing say, all 10 going from 1-10 like a chase sequence, right in time with the music. If you are going to cut out half of them you need to re-time the start to finish. You can't just start at 1 and stop at 5 or start in the middle. It just won't line up with the music.  I'm thinking of reducing the 10 to 8 to be more in line with the LOR philosophy of groups of 4.  It should be easier to cut out only two.

I think you've figured out the most efficient way to do this to start out. It will take some time to get familiar and comfortable with the software. AND learning about setting up and taking everything down. Something to consider right off the bat that will save you a good amount of bucks up front is to make your own extension cords. Put the controllers close to the props and then run shorter extension cords. A long CAT five from the computer  or whatever you're using to run the show to the controller is cheap. 

You're in the right place, here. You'll find plenty of help from guys that have been doing this for years. And now that Christmas is over, they have more time to respond. So don't be afraid to ask. I've only been at this a couple of years but one thing I HAVE learned...get started NOW because Christmas will be here quicker than you think! 

Good luck!

Oh man that’s brilliant. I am deffinetly doing that. I’ve been watching how alot of different songs utilize them and that would make it a lot easier.  Having two extra channels would be enough for what I’m envisioning at this point anyhow. Thanks for that tip.  How many lights did you wrap your mini trees with?

I actually purchased the wireless transmitter to simply things for me.  I’ve got the controller in a prime spot in the middle which is even hidden nicely behind a big  bush. 

I appreciate your feedback as you seem your understanding my level of utilization at this point.  Are you using s4 or 5?  I’m currently running s4 and everyone here has been recommending using s5.  I called wowlights and they kind of talked me out of it noting that most there sequences run easier with s4?  Thoughts?

I am using S5. Once I made the transition, it's been fine. They run easier in S4 because you don't need the preview. Once I created my preview and channel config for my house and props, I was able to add 5 more new WOW sequences in a matter of minutes, each. I wasn't too far along the S4 path anyway, so the transition for me was not that hard. To anyone starting out, I HIGHLY recommend starting with S5.

My mini trees are 100 multi colored lights. Actually 2 strands of 50 so that if one craps out you only have to replace half the string. My mega tree is 2 strands of 50 white tied together the way WOW recommends. I am really considering adding the two more controllers (or a single dumb controller, whichever works out cheaper) to the mini trees and going to  Red, Green and a third color (blue? white? Something else? I don't know yet).

And, as our friend @dibblejr says WHEN you expand and get into RGB, S5 will be your friend, indeed.

13 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I have to tell you, I discovered a local show here this year that looked to me like it was entirely AC channels. He had, what looked to me to be, a 16 channel mega tree that was at least three colors so you're talking 3 AC controllers for that one tree. 4 Arches, same thing. Seemed like most of his props were that way but. MAN, what a show! And it turns out he's only about 2 miles from my house.

I gotta admit, it really got me thinking about MY show and some things I can do to spruce it up! 

I had 12 Controllers controlling my 12,500 light mega tree that I retired a couple years ago. Mini G/B/W/R/Multi C9's, Green, C9's, Red, C9s and Multi C9's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I had 12 Controllers controlling my 12,500 light mega tree that I retired a couple years ago. Mini G/B/W/R/Multi C9's, Green, C9's, Red, C9s and Multi C9's

That is INSANE! Thank Heavens for RGB! 

44 minutes ago, tlogan said:

That is INSANE! Thank Heavens for RGB! 

The wife and I do miss the tree though. 

I gave all the lights away except for my 5mm strobes. They came in handy this year for one of my fav props. My Santa Sleigh and Reindeer the feet looked like they were moving and it was suspended high in the air

JR

19 hours ago, tlogan said:

I am using S5. Once I made the transition, it's been fine. They run easier in S4 because you don't need the preview. Once I created my preview and channel config for my house and props, I was able to add 5 more new WOW sequences in a matter of minutes, each. I wasn't too far along the S4 path anyway, so the transition for me was not that hard. To anyone starting out, I HIGHLY recommend starting with S5.

My mini trees are 100 multi colored lights. Actually 2 strands of 50 so that if one craps out you only have to replace half the string. My mega tree is 2 strands of 50 white tied together the way WOW recommends. I am really considering adding the two more controllers (or a single dumb controller, whichever works out cheaper) to the mini trees and going to  Red, Green and a third color (blue? white? Something else? I don't know yet).

And, as our friend @dibblejr says WHEN you expand and get into RGB, S5 will be your friend, indeed.

So I made the switch to s5 and I’m unsure about me doing so at this point. Spent a couple hours last night trying to figure it out and def feels more time consuming and not as intuitive.   Mabey it is up front but you make up for that down the road.  Trying to set up preview. Is it best to add a pic with all my lights and props or add a basic pic then draw in all the props and lights?   From what I’m gathering once I creat the first purview it will be alit easier to swap songs in and out using the same preview?  Every time I add a new prop or lights I need to assign which channel is powering this correct?  Is there a good how to vid out there on this part. I wasn’t finding much?.