Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying S5 but need a bit of advice

Tony Shepherd

Hi After using S4 for many years i have decided to try S5.  I have 19 16 channel controllers and one set of RGB floods No Pixels but might try some at some stage on certain props to save channels where i use multiple colours.

I imported my Visuliser and an existing sequece which i managed to get to work  However it seemed very messy trying to programme.  I have therefore decide to start again with a new preview.

Questions

1  Is it best to start a new Preview?

2   If i have a prop with White, Red and Green lights is it best to create one prop with 3 channels / colours or create 3 props?  It seems easy to create one prop but not sure if it is easier or harder to programme.

3  If i draw a smowflake or other prop how can i adjust the size easily? I can adjust each part of the string set but not the entire prop.

I'm sure i will come up with many more questions but this will help me at this stage.

Many thanks

Tony

Edited by Tony Shepherd
Hit the tab button and it posted!

1 hour ago, Tony Shepherd said:

1  Is it best to start a new Preview?

In my opinion, yes.

2   If i have a prop with White, Red and Green lights is it best to create one prop with 3 channels / colours or create 3 props?  It seems easy to create one prop but not sure if it is easier or harder to programme.

One prop.

3  If i draw a snowflake or other prop how can i adjust the size easily? I can adjust each part of the string set but not the entire prop.

Assuming that you drew the snowflake as several separate lines.  In that case, create a group with those line and you can resize the group.

I'm sure i will come up with many more questions but this will help me at this stage.

You will.  S5 is very powerful, but it has a lot of differences, so there is a bit of a learning curve.  You are however picking the right time of year to make the change.  You will have most of the year to figure it out!

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

In my opinion, yes.

One prop.

Assuming that you drew the snowflake as several separate lines.  In that case, create a group with those line and you can resize the group.

You will.  S5 is very powerful, but it has a lot of differences, so there is a bit of a learning curve.  You are however picking the right time of year to make the change.  You will have most of the year to figure it out!

Jim

thank you for your advice it is very helpful

Re creating one prop for several channels I have a set of ten trees.  For warm white I have 10 individual channels. For red, green, blue and cool white I only have one channel for each colour.  I can’t see a way of doing this in one prop so have done one set for warm white and one which covers the other four colours  where I can link trees 2 to 10 to the tree 1.  Have I missed something?

Hope this makes sense.  

Tony 

I want to make sure I understand your trees.  You have 10 trees that each have their own warm white channel, but you have four additional colors with one channel each that go to all 10 trees.  So in other words, you can light up any individual tree with warm white, but Red, Green, Blue, and Cool White will light up all 10 trees.  Do I have that right?

If that is the case, you have two choices.  For the colors that will have multiple trees, if you try to duplicate the channel assignments, the Preview Editor will complain about duplicated channels.  The solution is at the very top of the Channels section of the Prop Definition, is a selection for "Use the same channels as".  That allows you to tell the Preview Editor that you will be using the same channel assignment as some other channels and that it is OK.  You do still have to set the channel assignment below that.  So for example, if Tree 1 Red is Regular network, Unit ID 07, channel 11; when you get to Tree 2 Red, you use that Use the same channels as and select Tree 1 Red, and then set Reg - 07 - 11 for that channel.  Tree 3 Red through Tree 10 Red would do the same thing.

Thanks Jim

i had used the “same as channel” for the four colours but for warm white I don’t want this feature so figured I would have to duplicate the props. 

Would it work with warm white included and “the same as” option taken if I set the channels individually? 

Also haven’t yet found how to group a prop so I can resize it.  

Its almost midnight in the UK so I will try again in the morning. 

Thanks again 

Tony