Light-O-Rama Forums

Rubber Plugs {Cat5} for CCB100D/Pixie2D RGB Controllers

Orville

Not sure if this is he correct area to ask this, but does LOR Sell the Rubber plugs that the Cat5 cables enter and exit these controllers? 

I've worn out a few already {they are a pain to get in and out at times}, but looking to get some replacements and spares.  I need several of each type, the single hole, double hole and the solid plugs.

Does LOR sell these and what might the cost be?

I'm looking at replacing some and getting some for some Controllers that I bought used and just have the double Cat5 opening plugs. 

But I need at least a dozen of each type, especially the ones that do not have Cat5 openings in them for when I store the Controllers to keep critters from getting inside them.

Thank you in advance.

If they don’t you can get some rubber grommet caps that are just blanks anS poke holes in them to suit.

Lowe’s, Home Depot, Auto parts stores have grommets. The key is sizing.

They will be a lot easier to remove as well since they will be thinner and more pliable.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If they don’t you can get some rubber grommet caps that are just blanks anS poke holes in them to suit.

Lowe’s, Home Depot, Auto parts stores have grommets. The key is sizing.

They will be a lot easier to remove as well since they will be thinner and more pliable.

JR

Will have to take one with me to get a size I need.  Although I'd rather have the ones LOR uses in them as I know they will fit and already have the split on one or both sides, depending on how many Cat5 cables will be entering or exiting the controller.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Looked at those, but they aren't high enough.  I would prefer the ones LOR uses, as I know they are the correct size and fit through both holes, opening in the bottom and the second hole above.   And the LOR plugs are tapered at the top so they are "supposedly" easier to get in, but there must be a trick to that option I haven't found yet and why I need replacement parts.  I frazzled them taking them out and pushing them in to the point they are very worn at the top, so that makes them a little more difficult to get in and make a good watertight seal.

8 minutes ago, Orville said:

Will have to take one with me to get a size I need.  Although I'd rather have the ones LOR uses in them as I know they will fit and already have the split on one or both sides, depending on how many Cat5 cables will be entering or exiting the controller.

Looked at those, but they aren't high enough.  I would prefer the ones LOR uses, as I know they are the correct size and fit through both holes, opening in the bottom and the second hole above.   And the LOR plugs are tapered at the top so they are "supposedly" easier to get in, but there must be a trick to that option I haven't found yet and why I need replacement parts.  I frazzled them taking them out and pushing them in to the point they are very worn at the top, so that makes them a little more difficult to get in and make a good watertight seal.

Mr. P linked to what I was talking about. You can get deep ones, here is a link to different thickness's sizes .

The easiest way to get the LOR plugs out is slow pressure down from the inside along with pushing in ward on the outside.

Do not use tools.

JR

Amazon.com : deep black rubber grommets

22 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Mr. P linked to what I was talking about. You can get deep ones, here is a link to different thickness's sizes .

The easiest way to get the LOR plugs out is slow pressure down from the inside along with pushing in ward on the outside.

Do not use tools.

JR

Amazon.com : deep black rubber grommets

You really need to see and feel {squeeze} these  before you buy them.  I've plugged these grommets in many things using many different sizes and some of them that are longer are NOT open in the middle, they're a solid piece of rubber!  One end may have a hole and that's so you can squeeze it in, to remove one like that takes a small flat blade screw driver, and sometimes a pair of pliers, as they are usually meant to be tossed out and replaced once removed.   If you can squeeze it in the center to each side,  then you know it's hollow all the way through, even though  both ends may be capped or only one end may be capped.   These type things are best left alone unless you know they are exactly what you need.  Otherwise you may be spending money on something you can't use.

This is why the recommendation is to buy direct from the source {if possible} you got them from or the source can tell you where they purchase them from with exact measurements and features {like solid, single Cat5 or Dual Cat5 type}s.   As these may be made up special just for their type of use.  The LOR types have splits for the cables to be pressed into a single or on each side of a dual plug, modifying one of these replacements that aren't an exact match, this option that IS NEEDED could make the plug totally unusable, especially if it is very thin, otherwise doing this could cause the plug to split in half, then it's going to wear out even faster than the LOR plugs used or be rendered completely unusable cutting the Cat5 pathways.

If purchased direct, then one wouldn't need to compare them.  But buying a different type that is NOT an exact match could be problematic, as mentioned above in creating a dual split for 2 Cat5 cables.    If at all possible, I'm hoping someone at LOR will chime in on this post Using a solid thin plug for off-season storage may work fine, but I have some doubt on using them for Cat5 entrance/exit cables, just afraid their waterproofing ability my be hampered.  And as for measurements, forget that.  I am horribly and terribly limited on trying to measure things with my current vision.  I was lucky to even get frames made for my Singing LOR Trees, and if you saw them, you'd know exactly how bad my measuring skills are now.  I could do it when I was younger, but now being legally blind and vision haven gotten even worse over the last year, I just can't see to read a ruler or measuring tape.

It's why I try to buy things that are pre-made and set-up, all you need to do is just put it together{if necessary}.  And even that is a challenge for me now.  My soldering, measuring, and "very limited carpentry skills" days are pretty much gone now.

And is also why I try to get replacement parts directly from the source I purchased my item{s} from whenever possible.

Edited by Orville
Fix sentenes, typo's and miscellaneous criteria.

Doh   I highly suggest you ask people for spares.     I dont use those plugs and have no use for them.   I can send you some.  

I have 20 something of the CCB100 and dont use the plugs on any of them.   WAY too hard to get in.  I just hang the controllers and moisture drains out.   The first year I plugged them and moisture sucked in anyway just like the xenon strobes.   I also want to say the controllers have not been damaged by the moisture I found inside when plugged.  I dont find moisture when they are not plugged. 

13 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Doh   I highly suggest you ask people for spares.     I dont use those plugs and have no use for them.   I can send you some.  

I have 20 something of the CCB100 and dont use the plugs on any of them.   WAY too hard to get in.  I just hang the controllers and moisture drains out.   The first year I plugged them and moisture sucked in anyway just like the xenon strobes.   I also want to say the controllers have not been damaged by the moisture I found inside when plugged.  I dont find moisture when they are not plugged. 

Thanks Bob.  Do I need to send you my info on where to send them?  Still in the same place if you happen to have it.  I'm making changes to my Controllers by adding in Cat5 cables just long enough to get outside the box and using a method so I won't have to take them out once they are put in this time.  Will make setup a little quicker and Cat5 wiring a lot easier.

Thanks again.

I’ve never had a problem modifying a rubber bushing to make it the way I need it.

The way I build my controllers, just like Bob said, I leave the holeS open.

I had my matrix controllers flooded during our hurricane when the matrix was flippers upside down and water got in the vent covers.

My first though way they would Be toast but I left the door open for a couple days and they worked fine for both Halloween - New Years.

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I’ve never had a problem modifying a rubber bushing to make it the way I need it.

The way I build my controllers, just like Bob said, I leave the holeS open.

I had my matrix controllers flooded during our hurricane when the matrix was flippers upside down and water got in the vent covers.

My first though way they would Be toast but I left the door open for a couple days and they worked fine for both Halloween - New Years.

JR

Apparently you and Bob don't have the issue with the "creepy crawly bugs" that I have.  I left a controller Cat5 open and I had lizards, wasps and other bugs that got zapped and killed a few triacs in that controller, that was an CTB16PC V2 unit.   That's when I started stuffing the foam insulation they use for water lines in those areas to close up any gaps around the Cat5 cables.  Never had any issues with critters in my controllers after that.   I'd never leave mine open like that, not where I live.  Just too many buggy boos that can get in and possibly do damage.   And I just don't want to take that chance with mine.   That and I prefer to try and keep and use original equipment components to keep everything factory original when I can.

I guess that's one thing you could say I'm anal on.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

The HC ones will not work for the CCR 2 boxes. 1 - not enough space in the controller box to pack the extra cable- 2 - need 2 and again not enough space to pack the cable.

Not to mention there is a small pcb on the connector that also would not fit in the enclosure.

The LOR will Work however they are “out of stock” and have been for a while.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

9 hours ago, Orville said:

Apparently you and Bob don't have the issue with the "creepy crawly bugs" that I have.  I left a controller Cat5 open and I had lizards, wasps and other bugs that got zapped and killed a few triacs in that controller, that was an CTB16PC V2 unit.   That's when I started stuffing the foam insulation they use for water lines in those areas to close up any gaps around the Cat5 cables.  Never had any issues with critters in my controllers after that.   I'd never leave mine open like that, not where I live.  Just too many buggy boos that can get in and possibly do damage.   And I just don't want to take that chance with mine.   That and I prefer to try and keep and use original equipment components to keep everything factory original when I can.

I guess that's one thing you could say I'm anal on.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If LOR doesn’t have them or provide you with a source for them and you must have them, then yoi will have to improvise, adapt and overcome.

The link I provided you can see by scrolling down there’s are many styles. Some of which are staged for different sizes that yoi can cut off or leave them long for extra protection.

I use the HC data extension for all of my builds since David started selling them. They will not work in the LOR enclosures that we have. But they are valuable for all other enclosures since they protect the data port on the controller from accidental breakage due to some tripping or something on a the cat5 cable.

If you have the extra plugs that came with the controllers in that bag yoi can surely modify as needed.

Its pretty straight forward. If you have the spare with 1 hole of no holes just poke a hole on each bottom side. Then carefully use an exacting knife or scissors to alive along the vain .

If you feel yoi need a solid one for storage just cut a small piece of any cable and place in the hole. Those holes are synergy tight and snug around anything that runs through them.

In all of my controllers I have probably found one dead spider. Never any moisture other than the one I mentioned that was flooded but that was not from the plug holes, that was from the large air vents I have in the enclosure and due to it being flipped by the hurricane.

JR

Live in Illinois. I just cover all controllers with heavy duty black plastic bag, seal up tight with zip ties and no issues for 8 years. Of course, I am not worried about any elevated temperature issues that time of the year.

16 hours ago, KYHI said:

Neither of those work for me, like Jr says, the HC ones won't fit.  The LOR one is a single Cat5 unit from the description and looks of it.  Got to have 2 for the majority of my controllers, and the fact they can't use bootedCat5 cables either, which, the majority of my Cat5 cables are also booted.  I've tried to slide the boot off as someone suggested so they'd fit, but all I ended up doing was breaking the Cat5 connector and ruining the cable.   I can't repair one of those, tried and failed miserably at it.  So only pre-made Cat5 for me.

When I get some extra fund$ back in, I'll just take the ones I have to the Auto parts Store around the corner from me and see what they might suggest.   If they have something strong enough that isn't going to rip easily when slit with an Xact-o knife on each side.  I may try that if that's all I can find.  Been trying to locate the plugs LOR uses but my searches have yet to turn up anything that even looks like theirs.

I will be possibly using a short Cat5 Cable with a Female End on one end, if I can find them around 6"-8" long or perhaps using a Cat5 pass thru jack  on the end of each short 6"-8" long Cat5 cable coming out of the Controller, this way I will never need to open the box up to connect the Cat5 cable{s} to the controller.  So once the new plugs are in, I won't be needing to ever take them out, unless a Cat5 jack, or the Cat5 cable coming from inside the unit fails.

Just wish LOR would show items like these Plugs and the Screws that mount the lid to the box in the "Accessories" area so when one needed them, they could just order what they needed.  I've got plenty of screws, since I always seem to lose 2 or 3+ every year when I put up and take down the display.  Hopefully 2021, I'll have all the controllers set so I don't have to do this to get things up and running.  Sure will save me a lot of time.

• The topic was locked