Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat6 cable cover idea

Al Saunders

I thought I'd share an idea that worked for me this past season. I have a few of the LOR cat5 waterproof connectors and they work great for cat5 cables. But I also have some cat6 cables that have the large plug ends on them. The one I had that went from my red connector at my laptop in the house was too short to make it to my new CCR tree. I have several of these green extension cord covers that I got from Walmart. I only used the actual female to female connector of the whole LOR setup and put them together as shown in the picture. You will notice a tiny bit of water in it. I checked after seeing it and the connector itself was dry. We had some DOWNPOUR rains last month! So it looks like that tiny bit did get in. Plus I didn't do a very good job of making sure it stayed flat nd one end was pointed up a bit. Next year I will make sure to keep it level and may even put a small bag over it. 

But I wanted to let everyone else know this works for cat6 cables if you have those instead of cat5 cables. I'm going to try and comment and upload the other picture of it closed. 

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! 🙂

Al

Cat6 cover2.JPG

I used the same, just with CAT6 rated RJ45 couplers. Note: I originally bought these for AC, but Vampire plugs are a poor fit

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, Al Saunders said:

I thought I'd share an idea that worked for me this past season. I have a few of the LOR cat5 waterproof connectors and they work great for cat5 cables. But I also have some cat6 cables that have the large plug ends on them. The one I had that went from my red connector at my laptop in the house was too short to make it to my new CCR tree. I have several of these green extension cord covers that I got from Walmart. I only used the actual female to female connector of the whole LOR setup and put them together as shown in the picture. You will notice a tiny bit of water in it. I checked after seeing it and the connector itself was dry. We had some DOWNPOUR rains last month! So it looks like that tiny bit did get in. Plus I didn't do a very good job of making sure it stayed flat nd one end was pointed up a bit. Next year I will make sure to keep it level and may even put a small bag over it. 

But I wanted to let everyone else know this works for cat6 cables if you have those instead of cat5 cables. I'm going to try and comment and upload the other picture of it closed. 

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! 🙂

Al

Cat6 cover2.JPG

https://www.wiredwatts.com/ennetpassi-network-pass-through-gland Have you considered getting glands?

32 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

They are a little to expensive and the way it looks you still have to plug and unplug from the controller while putting away. Unless you wrap your cables up.

Cant really tell.

I have been using the HC extensions for all builds since they started selling them.

It plugs in to your data ports (s) and secures just like a cable gland.

It then has a data port on the outside.

This will save from a damaged controller data port in case the cables are tripped on or inadvertently pulled.

And you never have to open the enclosure to unplug a data cable.

About $5

So reasonable that I do not charge anyone that I build a controller for it.

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

They are a little to expensive and the way it looks you still have to plug and unplug from the controller while putting away. Unless you wrap your cables up.

Cant really tell.

I have been using the HC extensions for all builds since they started selling them.

This will save from a damaged controller data port in case the cables are tripped on or inadvertently pulled.

About $5

JR

There are other parts to this, including one with a network cable that goes on the inside of your controller. I was mainly referencing the gland for the use case here, which is "in the field" splicing. I do see where you come from and I understand cost is a major driver for these kinds of projects.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I learned this lesson this winter when an ice storm collapsed my pixel tree.  The cables were frozen to the ground so when the tower collapsed forward it pulled one of my RJ45 jacks nearly right off the board.  I need to look into getting some of those HC extensions, and maybe also putting service/drip loops at each controller.

6 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

I learned this lesson this winter when an ice storm collapsed my pixel tree.  The cables were frozen to the ground so when the tower collapsed forward it pulled one of my RJ45 jacks nearly right off the board.  I need to look into getting some of those HC extensions, and maybe also putting service/drip loops at each controller.

If you contact LOR they will send you the replacement jacks.

That is why I use them, I have been lucky but for a few dollars it’s worth it. I have had kids and adults who can’t seem to read go through my display and I cringed looking at them through my cameras. Luck has been in my side.

JR

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, lightingnewb said:

Hi Lightingnewb, Those look a lot like the LOR ones here: http://store.lightorama.com/rjwada.html . They work great for Cat 5 cables but the outdoor Cat5 or Cat6 cables that have the larger plugs and shields don't fit inside them as LOR states. I had two Cat6 cables I happened to be using and thought the cable cover would work and it really did. So I only used the actual connector that was inside the LOR plug. Thanks for the info and link though. 

Have a great day and stay safe.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, dibblejr said:

Cant really tell.

About $5

JR

Jr

Thanks for mentioning that HC has these, I have been using another brands that sticks up in the control box quite a bit and makes it tight in there. I also tried the lor ones and sent them back for the same reason. I ordered 4 of the HC to look at and I will order some more as I do my controller builds as I like the overall space that the connector it self takes up in the control box. I also have this type of connector on all of my controllers.

Wayne

• Like 1