Light-O-Rama Forums

What next?

Biff

Thanks everyone for your help with my first year Christmas display. As much of a pain it was; it seems that I’m hooked and want to continue to grow next year. I have only one controller at this time which is dedicated to what I have so far. I would like to add for next year: another controller, a mega tree and dabble into the pixel stuff in other areas. My questions are.... Tree: do I build one or buy the LOR tree (which is only about 6’ tall it looks like). Pixel set up: it looks like the LOR is is a computer board only. Does that connect into the controller box or do I need to install it into another box? And lastly what pixels lights are the best to use? Any help would be greatly appreciate....

1 hour ago, Biff said:

Thanks everyone for your help with my first year Christmas display. As much of a pain it was; it seems that I’m hooked and want to continue to grow next year. I have only one controller at this time which is dedicated to what I have so far. I would like to add for next year: another controller, a mega tree and dabble into the pixel stuff in other areas. My questions are.... Tree: do I build one or buy the LOR tree (which is only about 6’ tall it looks like). Pixel set up: it looks like the LOR is is a computer board only. Does that connect into the controller box or do I need to install it into another box? And lastly what pixels lights are the best to use? Any help would be greatly appreciate....

I recommend the kit since this will be your first RGB prop. LOR tree kit , the kit controller is already mounted in the enclosure.

They do have the 16' kit as well, if the 360 deg up and over kit is not tall enough for you. Also the 360 tree adds a little more sequencing complexity if you ever want to add images or texts to the tree.

If ordering any pixie based controller do not forget to order the "RED" RS485HS adapter.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Pixie controllers Require Pro License.

@dibblejr - ALL Pixies? I run 2 Pixie IIs with S5.5.16 Advanced. Granted, I'm not doing anything really advanced with motion effects yet, but I'm thinking of upgrading to PRO for Superstar Instant sequencing.

37 minutes ago, tlogan said:

@dibblejr - ALL Pixies? I run 2 Pixie IIs with S5.5.16 Advanced. Granted, I'm not doing anything really advanced with motion effects yet, but I'm thinking of upgrading to PRO for Superstar Instant sequencing.

Not the 2D or 8 - they can be used with LOR regular network.  LOR has changed the wording in the manual since the v1 to state "recommended, not required". I will say that my 4/8 and 16's do not work without enhanced. Has been like that since beta. 

All of my controllers have always been on enhanced so Im not sure about the 2's and non enhanced networks.

Your profile says you have Pro though

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Your profile says you have Pro though

OOPS! Fixed.

OK, thanks, I was pretty sure I wasn't going crazy. But my wife might argue that point! 

14 minutes ago, tlogan said:

OOPS! Fixed.

OK, thanks, I was pretty sure I wasn't going crazy. But my wife might argue that point! 

The manuals used to say "required, just like the red adapters". During testing someone must have figured out that they could run off non enhanced just like I figured out for "setup and configuration" the black adapters will work. However for shows the red adapter is normally a requirement.

I have always had pro and have set "enhanced in NP" since beta. I never tested without enhanced but will say others that I have assisted through the forums, text, phone call, PM's that failed to select enhanced did not have a show until I told them how to set it at enhanced.

JR

Ok guys... Not sure what the heck you are talking about “enhanced” and everything else. What is the best way to learn about pixel lighting? Is there books or should I continue to watch YouTube and LOR website stuff? 

Edited by Biff

6 minutes ago, Biff said:

Ok guys... Not sure what the heck you are talking about “enhanced” and everything else. What is the best way to learn about pixel lighting? Is there books or should I continue to watch YouTube and LOR website stuff? 

Disregard all of that, forgot you are the OP.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

10 minutes ago, Biff said:

Right here, at the "user level" is the best place. There are 1000's of threads but you can also ask away.

The absolute best way is to jump in and get hands on.

Network Speeds - Light-O-Rama

JR

Edited by dibblejr