Light-O-Rama Forums

I think I stepped off in it.(Upgraded to Pro)

rmturner54

Well I did it!! This is gonna be a big learning curve. I just upgraded from 3.2.4. Advanced to 5.5.16 Pro,  so I could start getting my feet wet with pixels. The up grade went well. So I opened the SE and man does it look different. Oh Boy!! I am gonna have to do some reading to get the basic grasp of Pro.  SO I guess the first thing to ask is

1. Is there a specific process I need to do to each one of my existing sequences to use them in Pro?

That alone will be good enough to start. I will also search for some tutorials. Heck....I got 6 to 7 months to get it right.  The older software was just as overwhelming when I started , so why should this be any different.

Thanks, Richard

After doing just about 20 mins of reading and watching the first portion of the You tube video "Light-O-Rama moving from S4 to S5. It's not as hard as you think."  I am starting to understand a little.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears to me that I need to create a preview first thing.

Yes. If you get the preview, prop definitions and your channel configs correct, the rest is LOT easier. You assign that preview to every sequence you create and you are set to start sequencing. Everything should be there ready to go.

Good luck! It took me  while to get everything right. But once I did, I was able to make changes to all my sequences very easily. Although, I will say, most of my sequencing at this point is copy and paste. But still, starting off with everything in place is lot easier.

Everything  revolves around your preview. It does the job of the config file and Visualizer in S3 and S4. You will add all your props and devices there. You will use it for all your sequences. There is a post earlier today, just above which has a link to some good practices with the preview.

Feel free to ask if you need more

27 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

You got this, Once you get past the learning curve S5 is awesome!

100% agree with this comment.  I find working in S5 so much easier than S4, but it was a learning curve with some PEBKAC errors along the way.

2 hours ago, hasslerk said:

100% agree with this comment.  I find working in S5 so much easier than S4, but it was a learning curve with some PEBKAC errors along the way.

LOL!  Had to google PEBKAC errors,  happens a lot here!

• Haha 1

So...after doing some reading and watching some videos, I decided to get started. Since my show is not real big, 32 AC channels, 16 DC dumb RGB, 12 DMX channels.

I decided to start from scratch with building the preview instead of importing the old visualizer. This helped me with starting to learn S5. At this point I think I have the preview completed. 

My first question is this. When adding a prop to an existing one to operate off the same channel, I check the box "uses the same channel as".

Why does the Unit ID, channel start and end ckt #'s not change to match the master channel.

OK. What am I missing, I know it is got to be something really stupid simple. 

I made the preview successfully.  I exported it to the import export folder. Opened a S4 sequence in the SE. Saved it and reopened it. 

How do I get the preview to display during play back of the sequence?

6 minutes ago, rmturner54 said:

OK. What am I missing, I know it is got to be something really stupid simple. 

I made the preview successfully.  I exported it to the import export folder. Opened a S4 sequence in the SE. Saved it and reopened it. 

How do I get the preview to display during play back of the sequence?

Do you see the preview window?

JR

I figured it out. What happened was I converted my first S4 sequence before I built my preview. Then tried playing the sequence and it did not play the preview. 

So, I deleted the converted S5 sequence and its backup. Started all over....WA LA!!

19 minutes ago, rmturner54 said:

yes i do

i clicked on my preview that I named xmas 2021

Click on "Playback Window" not on the preview itself.

Did you see my last reply. I did the sequence conversion before I had a preview built. Its all good now.