Light-O-Rama Forums

recorded MP3 message won't run

cherran

I recorded a seasonal info message to run at the top of each show. 

Used audacity, constant bitrate 128, to create an mp3 file.

Used the saved file to create a sequence. When I include that sequence in a show it will not run in the director.  If I create the exact same show but without the message sequence the show runs as expected.

Ran the verifier and no issues with the sequence.

Any ideas out there??

If you used "save as" you will need to re-open the sequence and play it to re link the audio then "SAVE".

Some will say that is not correct but that was my experience and I have always told everyone not to use the "save as" for shows. Save, always works, where in my experience save as never worked unless re open the sequence and play and save.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 hours ago, cherran said:

I recorded a seasonal info message to run at the top of each show. 

Used audacity, constant bitrate 128, to create an mp3 file.

Used the saved file to create a sequence. When I include that sequence in a show it will not run in the director.  If I create the exact same show but without the message sequence the show runs as expected.

Ran the verifier and no issues with the sequence.

Any ideas out there??

I use a Director {N4-G4} and if you'd like I can take a look at both your sequence and MP3 file you created to see if there may be an issue with the sequence or the MP3 and test it out and see if it will run in mine.  

If you'd like me to help send me a PM here from the LOR forums and I'll give you my e-mail address to send the sequence and MP3 file too.   Sometimes another person looking at your sequence or checking your MP3 file may find something you're overlooking.

BTW: If your seasonal message sequence is the ONLY sequence in a show, does it still not run?  Or does it run if it's the only sequence in the show?

As for "Save As", I used that a lot in 2020 when I changed sequences and had to make some drastic changes, unlike JR, every one of my "Save As" sequences ran just fine in my Director controlled shows.   Some of us don't have issues with it and others do.   Doesn't make sense I know, but I do know it happens.

The Save As may be a Director thing - I don't know.  EVERY sequence I have EVERY written was saved via Save As because every time I save a sequence I save it with a new file name.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The Save As may be a Director thing - I don't know.  EVERY sequence I have EVERY written was saved via Save As because every time I save a sequence I save it with a new file name.

Jim, In S3/ S4 the first times I used 'Save As" whenever I added that sequence to my show, it was skipped. However when I reopened the sequence I always received the "media file not found error". As soon as I would repoint the sequence to the media file and play for a few seconds the sequence would play in the director.

I had discussed that during those times and some acknowledged it while others never had the problem.

Since that very first show forward I never use a "save as" for anything going right to a show. My sequences are saved in the LOR directory and Audio in the audio directory and I have had no further issues.

Everyone that has posted the similar problem that I have see and replied to with what I call re-syncing the audio have all stated that fixed the issue.

JR

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I do the same thing.  Even before I started using a Director again, I have always used "Save As" and never had issues running a show from my computer, used the same system "Save As" with my new N4-G4 Director, ran my "Saved As" sequences just fine.

That's what throws me with those having issues with "Save As", because all that does is allow you to Save the sequence with a new filename, it doesn't change a thing in or with the sequence in any way except for the manual changes the person working on it made. 

But yet, there it is, quite a few folks have stated they've had issues using it.  

No logical reason I could see or find for it to do anything but save the sequence with a different filename and any new updates/changes that were made to it by the person sequencing it.

Dibblejr....Right in one!  Thanks for the hint.

I just opened the sequence, flipped a light on, saved, flipped the light off, saved, wrote a new show (on a SanDisk micro SD in an adapter) and everything ran as expected.  

I've not run into this issue before.  And I did NOT get the media file not found error when I did the save as nor when I created the sequence initially.

Edited by cherran

Orville,  Thanks so much for the offer.  The save as issue seems to have been the culprit.  I really appreciate your willingness to help figure out the problem.

Love this forum...  Thank you Everyone!!!

20 minutes ago, cherran said:

Orville,  Thanks so much for the offer.  The save as issue seems to have been the culprit.  I really appreciate your willingness to help figure out the problem.

For some of us it was a problem. Took me forever to figure it out when I first started out and I saved my sequence using “save as”.

Glad it worked out for you.

JR

7 hours ago, cherran said:

You're welcome.  Glad it was something simple and not something a bit more, er, confusing shall we say? LOL

But always glad to help if, or when I can.

15 hours ago, cherran said:

Dibblejr....Right in one!  Thanks for the hint.

I just opened the sequence, flipped a light on, saved, flipped the light off, saved, wrote a new show (on a SanDisk micro SD in an adapter) and everything ran as expected.  

I've not run into this issue before.  And I did NOT get the media file not found error when I did the save as nor when I created the sequence initially.

I can’t see what version you are in from my phone but if you are in S5 may be the reason you don’t see the “media file not found” error message. Not sure if that is the case or not.

JR

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I can’t see what version you are in from my phone but if you are in S5 may be the reason you don’t see the “media file not found” error message. Not sure if that is the case or not.

JR

His profile shows S4.4.2 Pro.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an FYI ....

I used the same sequence(during a downtime static display) and just referenced a new music file and did a save as.  The bugaboo there is you need to go into the new file and tell it the sequence length is the length of the NEW music otherwise it just locks up. 

Learning, all the time learning.

3 hours ago, cherran said:

Just an FYI ....

I used the same sequence(during a downtime static display) and just referenced a new music file and did a save as.  The bugaboo there is you need to go into the new file and tell it the sequence length is the length of the NEW music otherwise it just locks up. 

Learning, all the time learning.

Thanks for the reminder!   You are correct, if you use a different audio file and it doesn't match the sequence exactly, and you don't change the sequence length MANUALLY, this wll "always" happen!

To all the newbies using any previous version LOR Sequencer PRIOR to S5:  When modifying the length of an audio file in an existing sequence by using the "media file" option to change/import it to a different version, or editing it, causing a time length change, the NEW AUDIO file DOES NOT, REPEAT DOES NOT automatically retime your sequence to the new Audio length!   It has to be done MANUALLY in the SE using the Change Total Time, both Change Total TIme and Media File{import} are under the Edit tab ar the top of the sequencer.

It would have been nice if the changed/edited/new audio file would have reset the total length of the sequence, but it does not.  Something to definitely be aware of when making audio edits or changes.