Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting out... need help and guidance

NorthernLights

I tried the T & L "slip under" type terminal connectors a long while ago - the entire order was thrown out

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

Well the C9 Pixels I was looking at lists the specs as

• LED: Twin SMD 5050 RGB LEDs
  • Max Power Per Pixel: 0.5W

the 300 count SMD 5050 RGB ribbon stripe is listed at 72w - the 150 count SMD 5050 RGB ribbon stripe is listed at 36w

And my .3 watt assumption is based upon Smart SMD 5050 Pixels and using Pixie Controllers

Yes, that is correct, however, calling them a dual led or a single LED is incorrect, as this is not what they are, they may be called a single LED RGB Chip, but that still denotes 3 LED's per SMT chip/component.  Both SMD 5050 LED components are 3 LED'S in each SMD component, thereby that total for a dual SMD LED = 6 LEDS, 2 each of red, green and blue., whereas a single SMD LED would be a total of 3 LEDS, 1 each of red, green, blue per LED SMT component.

I've worked with SMT components for years and programmed the SMT machines that place them on a circuit board and solder them into place. 

Just for the record: SMT = Surface Mount Technology, SMD = Surface Mount Device.  Both are somewhat interchangeable.

One thing about this thread. A lot of assumptions and a lot of inexperience with pixels and pixel controllers will waste a lot of the OP's $.

ALWAYS SOLDER

But my suggestion to the OP - do not cut brand new nodes, you void the warranty. You simply do not sequence any extra nodes.

More advice, take one person like Phil and get their sole advice from experience, avoid confusion and all of the unnecessary extra verbiage.

JR

6 minutes ago, Orville said:

Yes, that is correct, however, calling them a dual led or a single LED is incorrect, as this is not what they are, they may be called a single LED RGB Chip, but that still denotes 3 LED's per SMT chip/component.  Both SMD 5050 LED components are 3 LED'S in each SMD component, thereby that total for a dual SMD LED = 6 LEDS, 2 each of red, green and blue., whereas a single SMD LED would be a total of 3 LEDS, 1 each of red, green, blue per LED SMT component.

Orville, you are arguing semantics.  You are technically correct, but NO ONE except you refers to the three LEDs on a RGB LED package as three separate LEDs.  As an FYI, I don't know if you have noticed, but I ALWAYS type "RGB LED" when talking about RGB LEDs to help avoid any confusion.  ONE RGB LED is a single package that has Red, Green, and Blue LEDs normally with some common wiring. 

BTW mainly for KYHI, just to add to some confusion, with 12 volt ribbons that have three RGB LEDs per pixel chip, those three RGB LEDs are in series, so the current is the same as if it was just one RGB LED.  Just a data point for you.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Orville, you are arguing semantics.  You are technically correct, but NO ONE except you refers to the three LEDs on a RGB LED package as three separate LEDs.  As an FYI, I don't know if you have noticed, but I ALWAYS type "RGB LED" when talking about RGB LEDs to help avoid any confusion.  ONE RGB LED is a single package that has Red, Green, and Blue LEDs normally with some common wiring. 

BTW mainly for KYHI, just to add to some confusion, with 12 volt ribbons that have three RGB LEDs per pixel chip, those three RGB LEDs are in series, so the current is the same as if it was just one RGB LED.  Just a data point for you.

So what?  I have had people on this same forum JUMP DOWN MY THROAT because I didn't correctly identify or use the "correct terminology" when I started in this hobby 10 years ago and for my first couple years around here, for me, this forum was not a place I preferred and I usually stayed over at Planet Christmas until LOR finally stepped in and stopped a lot of the nonsense that went on here.

Final comment:  I've been in electronics since I was 7 years old and building prototype stuff at that age.  Even worked in prototype electronic engineering labs sketching and building prototypes for military based electro-mechanical weaponry and commercial products, so I do know what I'm talking about. 

So despite all that, I'm done and out of this conversation as of now.

54 minutes ago, Orville said:

So what?  I have had people on this same forum JUMP DOWN MY THROAT because I didn't correctly identify or use the "correct terminology" when I started in this hobby 10 years ago and for my first couple years around here, for me, this forum was not a place I preferred and I usually stayed over at Planet Christmas until LOR finally stepped in and stopped a lot of the nonsense that went on here.

Final comment:  I've been in electronics since I was 7 years old and building prototype stuff at that age.  Even worked in prototype electronic engineering labs sketching and building prototypes for military based electro-mechanical weaponry and commercial products, so I do know what I'm talking about. 

So despite all that, I'm done and out of this conversation as of now.

I remember those days as a lurker and those people were dealt with in 2014 or so. That's when I noticed the environment change. One or two remained for a while after I joined. They were basically internet bullies that thought you should know everything or read through a thousand posts to find an answer. 

That is why when I got all of the help from you, Mr. P, K6ccc, Phil, Bob and some others I said I would pay it forward and I have always done that with topics I have personal experience and first hand knowledge.

JR

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

I tried the T & L "slip under" type terminal connectors a long while ago - the entire order was thrown out

Ditto!

Doing the math of 150 RGB LED string with 36 watts per string or .24 watts per RGB LED

Doing the math on 100 Bullet & Square Pixels at .6 watt per Pixel = 60 watt

Doing the math on 100 C9 Bulbs at .5 watt per Pixel = 50 watts

So it all has to come down to the Intensity at which some of them are configured or the actual number of Pixels used per Port

Also consider the Power supply degrades at about 85%

Edited by KYHI

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

Doing the math of 150 RGB LED string with 36 watts per string or .24 watts per RGB LED

Doing the math on 100 Bullet & Square Pixels at .6 watt per Pixel = 60 watt

Doing the math on 100 C9 Bulbs at .5 watt per Pixel = 50 watts

So it all has to come down to the Intensity at which some of them are configured or the actual number of Pixels used per Port

Also consider the Power supply degrades at about 85%

You DERATE power supplies. You RETURN FOR REFUND a degraded PSU 😛

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

I'll accept that derate correction, but spell check does not like it.....

Yep! It seems to ignore technical terms that have been in use for a half century.

• Haha 1

Hey seriously I just got off work. Thank you everyone. I appreciate everyones help. Sorry for any arguments or misunderstandings I may have caused. I appreciate everyone and the spirit of this forum. 

@Orville my apologizes for my poor car analogy. I had a feeling someone would own a pinto or whatever car I chose 😉 

Edited by NorthernLights

5 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Hey seriously I just got off work. Thank you everyone. I appreciate everyones help. Sorry for any arguments or misunderstandings I may have caused. I appreciate everyone and the spirit of this forum. 

@Orville my apologizes for my poor car analogy. I had a feeling someone would own a pinto or whatever car I chose 😉 

LOL.  Not a problem.  I know what kind of reputation those cars got.  But every one I owned I never had any issues with.  Had them for many years until I demolished them.  Ran those horses into the ground! ROFL

Okay I have a dumb question coming... 

when the term networking is used. It can be a self contained network correct? (Meaning the cat 5 cables are run from the director(s) to the controller(s) to the devices. And does not need to be connected to the home network.) am I correct? 

1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

when the term networking is used. It can be a self contained network correct? (Meaning the cat 5 cables are run from the director(s) to the controller(s) to the devices. And does not need to be connected to the home network.) am I correct? 

Correct.  In fact you DO NOT want to plug the LOR network into your home network - magic blue smoke can result.  LOR network is RS-485 serial.  Your home network is Ethernet.  They use the same connector and cable type, but they do not mix.  Suggestion, use a different color cable.  Makes it harder to leak the magic smoke.

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Okay I have a dumb question coming... 

Yes , a director will control the controllers and the controllers control the props. Computer not required for the director to run the show. 

JR

this is the type of motion I want I create on the roof line and my show. Love the movement/motion of lights. Is all of this pixels? Is that a net on the garage door?

Looks like almost entirely smart pixels, strips on the roofline and nodes for the rest, including the garage door. It may be a matrix net, Boscoyo Studios and others make a net like material for mounting nodes. There are a multitude of ways to construct a matrix. Motion effects like that are fairly easy in S5.