Light-O-Rama Forums

Just had my FISRT problem with a show not starting on schedule

tlogan

Again, I call myself lucky, This is my third year and the FIRST time that a show did not start on time. And we have had the rainiest year on record, with a lot of it over the last couple of days and the show started on time every night. Except tonight.  Fortunately I run a static animation starting at 5:00 and then the music sequences starting at 6:00. I also have some static lights and wireframes that come on using different timers around a little before 5:00. While walking the dog, this afternoon, we got back to the front of the house and I could see some of the lights on timers coming on.  The dog decided to take a rest in front of the driveway (OK, he's 12 and half, so he sits a lot) so I was fine waiting for the schedule to start the animation right at 5:00. I noticed only the arches on the Aux Net came on. And even then, I have two Pixies IIs on Aux A and only the one driving the arches came on. I check the GFCI outlets and they all have the little green light, so it's not that. I have to call my wife from the driveway to come get the dog so I can go into the garage to check the computer. I check the log and it says it it timed out on COMM 5. I disable the show and open HU and hit Refresh and it finds all 4 AC controllers on COMM 5. ALL the lights test fine. So, just in case, I reboot the computer. AND...on restart it looks like there was Windows update of some kind.  With the last Windows 10 update I noticed that I can't STOP updates, I can only delay them for a number of days (30 some) and must have hit that limit. Next time, I have to remember to turn off the WIFI once the season schedule starts. 

Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening! 

I hate win10. IMO if its not broke dont fix it. We own our computers. Windows 10 starts disabling features if you keep over riding the updates. SE/ S5 is always one of the first to stop acting right.

And then when it restarts so does Windows Defender and it also interferes with my show.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I hate win10. IMO if its not broke dont fix it. We own our computers. Windows 10 starts disabling features if you keep over riding the updates. SE/ S5 is always one of the first to stop acting right.

And then when it restarts so does Windows Defender and it also interferes with my show.

JR

This is why when I get a new computer I usually will pull the HDD if I don't like the version of Windows.  And it sounds like I'll be swapping my current computers C:\Drive with Windows 7 for the one in the new system I'm getting that has Windows 10 on it.  

It should be ILLEGAL for ANY software company to take hold of a persons computer like this that THEY PAID FOR and NOT be able to permanently disable things they don't want going on. This is why I hate Windows 10 because of all the comments I read about it, and how it's always screwing up folks systems with garbage like this.  It's completely ridiculous!

Too bad folks don't impose a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for forcing stuff like this on us!   I'd sure put my name on one of those lawsuits.  MS has gotten too big and powerful for their own britches!  They need to be brought down and back into the real world, not their fantasy world of world domination by taking folks computers to an almost hostage situation via Windows upgrades/updates and the like!

I do NOT allow my show computer on the internet ,It's a windows 10 dell laptop, windows 10 updates have sent my laptop I use for house hold business into fits, I hate the fact that if I leave it on windows updates and just screws up every thing.  There should be a button for people my age , 70 ,we can push to send windows a stop and desist message with all this update crap. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT,GEZZZZ !

Nuff Said  David

On the other hand. My show machine is on the internet, it has to be as I use MIIP. Updates are allowed. In fact I got the 20H2 last week. Windows defender is fully enabled

It is on my wired network.

I reboot maybe once a week, and use it for surfing, sequence touch ups whether it's show time or not. Just make sure You Tube is muted....

Not missed a beat all season, pun intended.

Not recommending, just another point of view. Nobody ever writes about how good Windows is. 

It's always a better story if it's bad news.

• Like 1

Like Phil, my show computer is connected to the internet.  It has to be because I also run MIIP.  I also normally access it via TeamViewer which requires internet.  Since Microsoft normally pushes updates on Tuesday night, I have the computer reboot on Wednesday afternoon every week.  in my case, the show computer is Windows 7.

• Like 1

My show computer is also on the network / internet. But there is nothing on it other than LOR and Zara radio. It also has not missed a beat either. The only reason mine is on the net is that during setup I stream Christmas music out my speakers in the yard. And I also create transfer LOR files from my main computer to the show computer.

Wayne

Kind of glad I moved back to a Director unit.  At least nothing Windows does can affect my N4-G4 since it isn't connected to a computer when running shows.  Haven't had one misstep with using the N4-G4 Director to run my 2020-2021 Christmas Show at all.    And it'll run the 2021-2022 Christmas Show this year.

I do like the computer because it has more options to do a lot more with in a show.. 

But I'll take the few limitations the N4-G4 Director has over other things{like Windows} messing stuff up during a show when run from a computer!

Edited by Orville

I too use a Win10 laptop as the show computer, and it is connected to the Internet.   Haven't had a problem with updates, although I check it every few days and do the reboot if it's required to install them. 

I do my sequencing on my main PC and the changes get synced to the cloud and then to the show computer, so internet connectivity is a must.    I also access the PC remotely (in case of problems while I am not home).  

One way to get around the Windows 10 issues - is to dual boot your PC > by creating a second Bootable OS on the same PC

By doing this you can easily transfer the Files from one OS Partition to the other OS partition - I have 5 Bootable OS's on the same SSD

You can easily setup each OS on a 64GB partition

And keep all your 'DATA" on a separate HDD - and each drive will be accessible from within each other drive

And if you do not want to create separate OS partitions on your Drive - you can create a VHD of the Windows 10 OS - with one note: the VHD will be a Fully Functioning OS - that will not receive windows updates as MS does not allow for updates to a VHD - to update a VHD you must reapply the OS to the VHD

Edited by KYHI

Question about Win 10 updates, do you at least have the option to tell it a specific time to do the updates, like in Win 7, I do have updates set to be done one night a week, on Wednesday mornings around 2-3am, the only show running at that time is my overnight lights {when I was using a computer, using my Director this doesn't matter}.

So if I can set a specific time slot for updates, then this would be a no issue for me.  But if you can't set a specific time for the updates to occur, then this could and would in all probability become an issue if Win 10 just updates any time it dang well feels like it.

Getting Win 10 is going to be another all new learning experience for me, just like any other software I've installed, but most of them at least came with a booklet{documentation} and in the olden days so did Windows.  And I detest Windows "Help" because half the dang time I can't locate anything that relates to the issue{s} I may have with something.  Very frustrating!

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Question about Win 10 updates, do you at least have the option to tell it a specific time to do the updates, like in Win 7, I do have updates set to be done one night a week, on Wednesday mornings around 2-3am, the only show running at that time is my overnight lights {when I was using a computer, using my Director this doesn't matter}.

So if I can set a specific time slot for updates, then this would be a no issue for me.  But if you can't set a specific time for the updates to occur, then this could and would in all probability become an issue if Win 10 just updates any time it dang well feels like it.

Getting Win 10 is going to be another all new learning experience for me, just like any other software I've installed, but most of them at least came with a booklet{documentation} and in the olden days so did Windows.  And I detest Windows "Help" because half the dang time I can't locate anything that relates to the issue{s} I may have with something.  Very frustrating!

No (at least for Pro). Only set your Active hours or Pause for up to 7 days

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

No (at least for Pro). Only set your Active hours or Pause for up to 7 days

That figures and that sucks.  Gad, I'm hating Windows 10 more than any version I've ever used, and I haven't even started using Windows 10 yet.  

Wish I'd have had an option on what Windows I wanted on the new{refurb} computer I'm getting, I'd have stuck with Windows 7, but 64-bit, instead of the 32-bit I have on my current system I'm using.

Thanks for the info, just not what I wanted to hear!

I still use Windows 8.1 as my daily driver - if you get a refurb PC see if you can get one that was upgraded to windows 10 - As windows 8.1 OEM PC's came embedded with the activation key in the MOBO firmware.. Windows 8 also has the same system requirements as windows 10, x64 support, Ram, etc...

I am also an avid Dell User - Home version is fine - no real personal use benefit to using Pro - 64Bit requires 4GB of Memory and More the better - also a SSD Drive is preferred - also wise to have a secondary Drive for "Data" Storage

Edited by KYHI

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

I still use Windows 8.1 as my daily driver - if you get a refurb PC see if you can get one that was upgraded to windows 10 - As windows 8.1 OEM PC's came embedded with the activation key in the MOBO firmware.. Windows 8 also has the same system requirements as windows 10, x64 support, Ram, etc...

I am also an avid Dell User - Home version is fine - no real personal use benefit to using Pro - 64Bit requires 4GB of Memory and More the better - also a SSD Drive is preferred - also wise to have a secondary Drive for "Data" Storage

I've got 2 SATA Drives and an external 1TB Drive I use for Data Storage.  So no issue there.  Will upgrade to 16GB maximum in the refurb'ed unit when I can.  But it comes with 4GB and I think that'll do me for the moment, although I'd have preferred it was already topped out with the ram, or at least 8GB.  But for the price I got it for, can't really complain.

Edited by Orville
Kept finding typo's to fix....:(

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

I still use Windows 8.1 as my daily driver

I pity you!  8.0 was absolutely awful, and 8.1 made it a little better (only played with both briefly on other people's computers that I was asked to configure).  However I sort of do use 8.1 now and then.  My server is Windows Server 2012r2 which is essentially the server version of 8.1.  Of course as a server, I don't have to touch it often.  I had to restart Apache the other day to add a Virtual Host to the web server, and I will get into it today to move my light show control to the sever instead of from the dedicated show computer (which will get shut down until October).

Windows 10 has not been an issue for me.  I am running the Pro version because I log into a domain.

This computer is an i7-8700 that I have had since mid 2018.

• The topic was locked