Light-O-Rama Forums

Column matrix and Falcon F48 v3with Diff boards

Traed128

I am planning for next year.  I am not sure if or how LOR can talk with a Falcon F48 with diff boards.  This year I added several pixie 8’s, 2 pixie 16’s, and 2 pixie 4’s.  They have pixel count limitations compared to the falcon.   I like the amount of pixels that the falcon allows per port.  Just wondering if the falcon with the diff. Boards could run 4 column width matrix’s.

The Falcons are E1.31 controllers.

They connect to the ethernet port of your pc, not on the LOR network.

I have 2 F16v3, and they run fine on LOR software 

19 minutes ago, Traed128 said:

I like the amount of pixels that the falcon allows per port.

As Phil said, the Falcons run just fine from LOR via E1.31.  I am also running a couple F16v3 controllers and one F4v3 controller.  I really like the configurability of them.

One thing to keep in mind about long pixel strings.  WHEN (not if) a pixel fails, and if it fails in the mode where everything downstream of it goes dark (or worse - full white), a much greater portion of your display will be affected.  Personally I am not running anything longer than 100 pixels in any string.

I get the 1.31.  I was speaking to wired watts about a matrix.  He seemed to think I may run into issues trying to push to much data thru e1.31.  Very similar to last year looking to spend a significant amount next my display just want to make sure I do my homework before getting buyers regret.

how many pixels can you push Per port with the falcon 16?   How far can you go from controller to first pixel?  At what point do you have to power inject?

thank you for responding I have many questions.

37 minutes ago, Traed128 said:

I get the 1.31.  I was speaking to wired watts about a matrix.  He seemed to think I may run into issues trying to push to much data thru e1.31.  Very similar to last year looking to spend a significant amount next my display just want to make sure I do my homework before getting buyers regret.

how many pixels can you push Per port with the falcon 16?   How far can you go from controller to first pixel?  At what point do you have to power inject?

thank you for responding I have many questions.

1- How many pixels would you plan with the pixies 9per port)?

2- I am hoping shortly the pixielink will be available this will open up a new e1.31 world for those of us who have a lot of pixie controllers.

JR

Right now I have been keeping my pixies to 100 or less per port.  I would in theory like to use the stronger controller to maybe run 250 per port ie my column matrix would be roughly 4 x 60 Matrix on each column, a total of 4 columns.  According to what I have a read each port on the falcon f48 will run up to 1064.  This would be good as well for my pixel tree expanding from 20 by 90 at 2” to 32 x 180 at 1”.  
I also read that the diff boards share the 1064 so using 266 per port for 4 diff boards would open a lot of options.  
question on the universe side how would i track each universe through each diff board?

1 hour ago, Traed128 said:

Right now I have been keeping my pixies to 100 or less per port.  I would in theory like to use the stronger controller to maybe run 250 per port ie my column matrix would be roughly 4 x 60 Matrix on each column, a total of 4 columns.  According to what I have a read each port on the falcon f48 will run up to 1064.  This would be good as well for my pixel tree expanding from 20 by 90 at 2” to 32 x 180 at 1”.  
I also read that the diff boards share the 1064 so using 266 per port for 4 diff boards would open a lot of options.  
question on the universe side how would i track each universe through each diff board?

You can push 170 per port on a pixie controller. My longest run is 156 with no PI and 120' cable between my controller and the first node.

That max number will change when the pixielink hits the shelf. 

JR

What will the pixie link do?  When do you think it will be available?  I know you run circles, I have 50 pixel wreaths.  Is it possible to run an extension between the wreaths to have 150 (3 wreathes)on a port instead of running each 50 to its own port on a pixie?  I would be well under 75 ft total distance.  I tried this with my arches and ended up with flicker and glitchy pixels on the last 10.  I used a 10ft extension and the arches were only 50 pixels.