Light-O-Rama Forums

16x100 Bullet vs 16 Ribbon CCR Tree

SkyShepherd

I finally jumped into LOR this year with 2 x 16 AC controllers, a 16x25 pixel tree and 2 x 100 bullet pixels.  Now looking to next year.  My wife really wants the big CCR tree.  There is a significant price difference between the CCR tree and the 16x100 bullet package.  Am I gaining anything with choosing the CCR over the bullets? 

Two big advantage of pixels over ribbon.  First is that you can space the pixels whatever you want to get the total height desired.  My 26 x 100 pixel tree is just over 11 feet of light length - total height of 17 feet to the top of the star.  Can't do that with ribbons.  Second is that pixels are FAR easier to repair WHEN (not if) a pixel fails.  Pixels are far less fragile than ribbons too.

I made a pixel tree back in 2016 (actual it wasn't a tree, it was a vertical Matrix) 16 x 50. It was clear. Pictures, etc looked great. If I ever made another vertical matrix it would be at least 24 x 50 or 24 x 100. The more pixel strings the more easier (in my opinion) it is to sequence. When I sequenced for my 2019 24 x 50 Matrix that was only 6ft long & 3ft deep it was like watching a TV but lower resolution. Anyhow I found it easier to sequence the 24 x 50 Matrix than I did the 12 CCR Matrix. I was to have a 32 X 50 Matrix & I made a few sequences but I ran out of time to make my special Matrix I was designing for this past Christmas season.   The same with the tree 16 CCR was a bit easier than the 12 CCR tree to sequence. You can do better animation when you have more pixels to work with.

Anyhow I think a 16 Pixel Tree would look ok, however just don't make the base to wide. Can you talk your wife into letting your buy a 16 port Pixie or Pixcon controller & a 8 port Pixie or Pixcon controller. 24 pixel strings. If you don't want to sequence them you can buy 24 ccr tree sequences. Just not sure if they are good for 100 pixels, they might only be good for 50 pixel high.

43 minutes ago, lightzilla said:

I made a pixel tree back in 2016 (actual it wasn't a tree, it was a vertical Matrix) 16 x 50. It was clear. Pictures, etc looked great. If I ever made another vertical matrix it would be at least 24 x 50 or 24 x 100. The more pixel strings the more easier (in my opinion) it is to sequence. When I sequenced for my 2019 24 x 50 Matrix that was only 6ft long & 3ft deep it was like watching a TV but lower resolution. Anyhow I found it easier to sequence the 24 x 50 Matrix than I did the 12 CCR Matrix. I was to have a 32 X 50 Matrix & I made a few sequences but I ran out of time to make my special Matrix I was designing for this past Christmas season.   The same with the tree 16 CCR was a bit easier than the 12 CCR tree to sequence. You can do better animation when you have more pixels to work with.

Anyhow I think a 16 Pixel Tree would look ok, however just don't make the base to wide. Can you talk your wife into letting your buy a 16 port Pixie or Pixcon controller & a 8 port Pixie or Pixcon controller. 24 pixel strings. If you don't want to sequence them you can buy 24 ccr tree sequences. Just not sure if they are good for 100 pixels, they might only be good for 50 pixel high.

Actually since he is in S5 he can use the fold option and only need a pixie 8 for a 16 ccr tree , a pixie16 will net him enough for the 24X50 matrix using the same fold pattern and be able to run other props off the pigtails not used.

I have 2 - 24x50 matrix, one is 4x8 for farther viewing distance and the other is 3x5. I wish I had 2 3x5's. I have a couple more on order though so next year I can retire the larger one.

The farther the viewing distance the more space can be tolerated between strips or strings. The base of my ccr tree is 8" apart, it is a trampoline frame minus the legs and the spring holes make perfect spacers. 

My tree is about 220' from the street. My small matrix roughly 100 and the larger matrix about 120 give or take. I changed my setup around at Halloween so the tree and matrixs are not where they have always been.

Out of those 3 props my mini matrix is my favorite because I can carry it around. I use T- Posts and eye bolts to hang it along with some backup zipties. The controller sits right behind it. My large matrix is on an AL frame that I made with wheels. It has a big foot print and takes up a good bit of space in my garage. But it is still easily moved.

JR