Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to S5

Randy Martin

23 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Isn't that the other way around

Program files x86 is 32 bit

Program files        for 64 bit

No it's not - sort of.  What listed by Phil is correct for the folders for programs in use on 64 bit OSes.  If you are running on a 32 bit OS, there is only the Program Files directory.  When Microsoft added 64 bit Operating Systems, there became Program Files x86 for 32 bit programs and just Program Files for 64 bit programs.  Since LOR is a 32 bit program, it goes into the Program Files x86 directory on a 64 bit OS, and in the Program Files directory on 32 bit OSes.

Sounds like Orville is running a 32 bit OS.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

No it's not - sort of.  What listed by Phil is correct for the folders for programs in use on 64 bit OSes.  If you are running on a 32 bit OS, there is only the Program Files directory.  When Microsoft added 64 bit Operating Systems, there became Program Files x86 for 32 bit programs and just Program Files for 64 bit programs.  Since LOR is a 32 bit program, it goes into the Program Files x86 directory on a 64 bit OS, and in the Program Files directory on 32 bit OSes.

Sounds like Orville is running a 32 bit OS.

That's what I stated in my prior message, Windows 7, 32 bit.  I have both Program Files and a Program Files(x86) folder, which I think would be odd, since a 32 bit system CAN NOT run 64 bit software!  So why have these 2 separate Program Files folders when only one should be needed?  

Yet, I have 32 bit files/software installed in BOTH of these folders, as I do not download or install 64 bit software unless the program is made for both 32 and 64 bit in one installation file, then it supposedly picks the correct install for the version of Windows you have.   But then who knows how these installers are set up internally to do what they do?

21 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Nope. X86. The two folders started appearing with 64  bit versions of Windows.

Sorry, but if I had the space to upload a screen shot, you'd see the Light-O-Rama folder is ONLY in the Program Files on my 32 Bit version of Windows 7.  This computer I am running CAN NOT run or install 64 bit versions, tried several times and failed, computer states it can not support that version of Windows.   There is NO Light-O-Rama folder under Program Files(x86) on this system and it has never been in that (x86) folder, NOT ever.    I KNOW where my files are all over my system and it is where I say it is.

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

All of my 3 computers are 64 bit. They only have one LOR folder and that is in the (x86) folder.

JR 

I'll find out in a few weeks when the refurbished computer I bought comes in.  It will be 64 bit and Windows 10.  Not sure I'm looking forward to Windows 10 as I have very limited experience with it.   But I'll find out where it puts the LOR software when I install it on that one.  Got a Dell Optiplex 755.  Once here it'll get my graphics card installed and my 5 Port USB card installed so I'll have a total of 13 USB ports to use.  It'll be a big improvement to some degree of my current system{s}.  But my LOR folder is definitely in the Program Files, no LOR folders of any kind in my (x86) folder to be seen.

12 minutes ago, Orville said:

I'll find out in a few weeks when the refurbished computer I bought comes in.  It will be 64 bit and Windows 10.  Not sure I'm looking forward to Windows 10 as I have very limited experience with it.   But I'll find out where it puts the LOR software when I install it on that one.  Got a Dell Optiplex 755.  Once here it'll get my graphics card installed and my 5 Port USB card installed so I'll have a total of 13 USB ports to use.  It'll be a big improvement to some degree of my current system{s}.  But my LOR folder is definitely in the Program Files, no LOR folders of any kind in my (x86) folder to be seen.

This is why when we update SuperStar we place the ssedit file in the x86/LOR folder

JR

25 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

This is why when we update SuperStar we place the ssedit file in the x86/LOR folder

JR

That would not work on MY system and here's the screen capture proof in these two captures.  It is as I stated.  I don't use SS, but if I did and it had to go in the (x86) directory, just won't work on my current system.

And every previous system I've used has doine it the same exact way.  It has never been in the (x86) directory.

LOR in Program Files {Windows 7_32 bit}.JPG

LOR IS NOT in (x86) folder {Windows 7_32 bit}.JPG

1 minute ago, Orville said:

That would not work on MY system and here's the screen capture proof in these two captures.  It is as I stated.  I don't use SS, but if I did and it had to go in the (x86) directory, just won't work on my current system.

And every previous system I've used has doine it the same exact way.  It has never been in the (x86) directory.

LOR in Program Files {Windows 7_32 bit}.JPG

LOR IS NOT in (x86) folder {Windows 7_32 bit}.JPG

Where is your ssedit exe file sit? It is included with the LOR downloads so its somewhere. Just wondering where it is.

JR

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Where is your ssedit exe file sit? It is included with the LOR downloads so its somewhere. Just wondering where it is.

JR

It's in the Program Files in the Light-O-Rama folder.  And I can run the SS Demo just fine too.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

But my LOR folder is definitely in the Program Files, no LOR folders of any kind in my (x86) folder to be seen.

You are running a 32 bit OS - there is no Program Files (x86) folder.  That did not come about until 64 bit OSes were invented.

Once you get your 64 bit computer with a 64 bit OS, the LOR application will be in Program Files (x86) because it is a 32 bit application.

Edited by k6ccc

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You are running a 32 bit OS - there is no Program Files (x86) folder.  That did not come about until 64 bit OSes were invented.

Once you get your 64 bit computer with a 64 bit OS, the LOR application will be in Program Files (x86) because it is a 32 bit application.

Oh yes there is definitely a Program Files(x86) folder.  Apparently you did not look very closely at my two screen captures above. 

C:\Program Files is the top one, bottom one is C:\Program Files(x86) and this on a 32 bit install of Windows 7.   So please explain that 2nd screen capture and why I have one then, since you say there is no such folder on a 32 bit OS, but my system shows otherwise.   The screen captures don't lie, both do exist on my 32 bit system.  

12 hours ago, Orville said:

Oh yes there is definitely a Program Files(x86) folder.  Apparently you did not look very closely at my two screen captures above. 

C:\Program Files is the top one, bottom one is C:\Program Files(x86) and this on a 32 bit install of Windows 7.   So please explain that 2nd screen capture and why I have one then, since you say there is no such folder on a 32 bit OS, but my system shows otherwise.   The screen captures don't lie, both do exist on my 32 bit system.  

I wonder “if” the time you tried S5 it put that folder there and when you went back to S4 it remained.

This type of stuff is over my head though, I just sequence, most of my files sit where LOR wants them.

JR

By Default C:\Program Files(x86) does not exist on a Windows x86 (32Bit) OS

That folder is created by Default on a Windows x64 (64Bit) OS

Although it really does not matter to the OS where a Program.exe Resides

You can not run x64 programs on a x86 OS - But you can run both x86 and x64 programs on a x64 OS - due to the additional x86 System support files in the Windows/SysWOW64 folder (which actually contains the 32Bit version of the required system files usually found in Windows/System32)

Edited by KYHI

Never installed a 64 bit OS, it would never install, computer stated it could not install it because it was incompatible.  There has never been an install of a 64 bit OS on this HDD ever.  Only Windows 7 32-bit, and this HDD was reformatted before this last installation of Windows 7 was put on it in 2009, 1 year BEFORE I ever got into LOR, which was in late December 2009 {after Christmas 2009}, or early January 2010{which is what I call my official start date into this hobby}.  

And both of these folders were created on the same date, but not at the exact same time, Program Files created: 07/13/2009 10:37PM, Program Files(x86) was created on 07/13/2009 11:20PM, less than an hour after the Program Files was created.   5 months PRIOR to my installing the DEMO version of LOR on this HDD {I think 2.9.4 was my first installation, if I am remembering correctly.}  And I didn't license it until late January or early February 2010, and that was originally Basic+, but moved to Advanced about 1-2 weeks later.  The highest license level at the time.

So even though some say it shouldn't exist on a 32 bit OS, I can say for 100,000% certain it does and has since the initial brand new install of this 32 bit version of Windows 7, and the date 07/13/2009 is when I reformatted the HDD and, again, installed a BRAND NEW installation of Windows 7, 32-bit Home Edition on this HDD, and both these files were created "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)" on the same date and less than an hour apart during this brand new, clean install.   Windows 7, 32-bit Home Edition did create them and they've been there ever since it was installed brand new on this HDD.

And all the 32 bit program files are in the Program Files folder, but BOTH folders contain different Windows files, no Windows files are duplicated in either folder.

I don't know why this is, nor can I explain it, all I know is this is how it is on my system!

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I wonder “if” the time you tried S5 it put that folder there and when you went back to S4 it remained.

This type of stuff is over my head though, I just sequence, most of my files sit where LOR wants them.

JR

Nope, both Program Files and the (x86) one have both been there since the original, brand new clean install of Windows 7, 32-bit Home Edition back on 07/13/2009!   S5 had nothing to do with it or the original creation dates would not be identical!   And they were created less than 1 hour apart, (x86) being created just under an hour after Program Files.