Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to S5

Randy Martin

Just a question

if I have a SSD drive (C) and a separate (D) drive can S4 be on the (D) drive and S5 be on the (C) drive.

Or do I have to remove S4 completely and install only S5 on this computer. 

I manage on computer skills but not very good but learning.

S4 and S5 cannot be on the same machine. You do not have to uninstall S4 before you go to S5,, just upgrade on top of S4.

17 minutes ago, Randy Martin said:

Okay thanks  I read where others use a registry wipe program. What would that be used for then.

Regwipe is a last resort cleanup of Windows registry when things go bad, or you REALLY want or need to expunge all traces of LOR from your machine. Usually used at the behest of the Help Desk.

Not normally needed for  a simple uninstall and reinstall, unless something goes wrong.

If you go backwards from S5 to S4 it is best to uninstall and reinstall, but Regwipe is still not normally required.

Ok .... so I have been running S4 only for 7 years now.  I have shut down the show for the year, made sure all of my files are in the proper folders, made several backups both on some thumb drives and the cloud and now want to start the learning curve for S5.  Do I really have to delete S4 from the machine before I download and start with S5?  What happens if I simply don't like S5 and want to go back to S4?   Is there a problem re-loading 4 back on to the machine and just continuing on like nothing ever changed?

Don

You have to completely remove S4 from the machine and then install S5. If you want to go back to S4 then you need to completely remove S5 and then reinstall S4. Keep in mind that any sequences that you upgrade to S5 cannot be converted back down to S4.

As I said above No need to uninstall S4, just upgrade on top. I have done it many times. Going back to S4, you MUST uninstall S5 first. in the very early days there were update issues but that was over two years ago

it only takes a few minutes.

Either way, it will not touch your data......but always have a backup.

Your original S4 sequences will not be changed by the conversion to S5 loredit files. If you do go back, they will still be there.

I went back and forth for several months, never had to uninstall S4. S5 just loads just like an S4 update.

I recommended a few days ago that what I do in S5 while loading S4 sequence.

I open a new sequence first, then open the S4 sequence. I click through all of the warning and mis match boxes, I do not change anything.

When the S4 sequence opens the sequence is there.

I then copy/ paste in to the new sequence.

Upon closing the old S4 sequence I never say yes to saving it. That keeps it as an LMS and ensures it I accidentally made a cut or something that it didn’t become permanent.

That is how I do it.

JR

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You have to completely remove S4 from the machine and then install S5. If you want to go back to S4 then you need to completely remove S5 and then reinstall S4. Keep in mind that any sequences that you upgrade to S5 cannot be converted back down to S4.

Only half right.  S4 to S5 does NOT need a removal first.  If you go back from S5 back to S4, that does require a removal.

And correct that S5 sequences can be converted back to S4, but your existing S4 sequences are not altered and will still be there.  Good idea to back everything up in any case.

Thanks everyone.  So this is my plan.  As stated, I have all of my S4 stuff on my PC nicely put away and backed up in several areas...thumb, cloud, MacBook Pro & CCC.  I then put a copy of all those files on the Windows side of my MacBook Pro,

So I downloaded S5 to the Windows side (using Parallels) of my MacBook Pro.  I will then use a copy of this years show files to start the learning curve.  I think that way I don't have to worry about destroying or losing anything.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:04 PM, PhilMassey said:

Regwipe is a last resort cleanup of Windows registry when things go bad, or you REALLY want or need to expunge all traces of LOR from your machine. Usually used at the behest of the Help Desk.

Not normally needed for  a simple uninstall and reinstall, unless something goes wrong.

If you go backwards from S5 to S4 it is best to uninstall and reinstall, but Regwipe is still not normally required.

I've used Regwipe in instances where I've had to do several re-installs over the same version of the LOR software because it didn't install quite right, or I've upgraded through various versions and some traces of a prior version was still left in the Windows Registry, instaed of being updated as it should have to the new version.

However, saying it expunges ALL traces of LOR files is incorrect.   I did back up all my sequence, audio and every directory in my default LOR folder by copying it and all files to an external drive before I used Regwipe, but Regwipe absolutely DID NOT touch my C: \LOR directory at all.  All it did was remove all the files and suibfolders in the Program Files area of the Light-O-Rama folder, but DID NOT remove the main folder itself, it still existed after the Registry Wipe was done.

All Regwipe does is REMOVE ALL TRACES of LOR in the Windows Registry and the programs from the hard drive in the Program Files area, but it never touched anything in my default location I chose to save sequences to, C: \LOR directory or any files in it.  Again, the only directory that was touched was in the Program Files area of Windows and removed everything in the Light-O-Rama directory, and left that as an empty directory where the software re-installed into.

But it's always wise to backup your default LOR directory before using Regwipe.

The S5 LOR Software installs into 3 Directories, Program Files on x86 OS or for x64 OS - Program Files (x86) & ProgramData & %UserProfile%

Isn't that the other way around

Program files x86 is 32 bit

Program files        for 64 bit

4 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Isn't that the other way around

Program files x86 is 32 bit

Program files        for 64 bit

You are correct Phil.  I use Windows 7, 32 bit and all 32 bit files are in the (x86) Directory.

And, just to clean it up, LOR is a 32 bit program  and therfore lives in the Program files  x86 folder.

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

And, just to clean it up, LOR is a 32 bit program  and therfore lives in the Program files  x86 folder.

I just checked that and my Light-O-Rama folder IS in the Program Files folder, NOT the Program Files(x86) Folder! 

It's never been in the Program Files(x86) Folder since that folder started appearing.   It's always installed into the Program Files folder.