Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the earliest that you've taken down your Christmas display?

Speedster

3 hours ago, Dcroc said:

I was going to start today.  However, there was a drenching rain yesterday.   Not sure how most feel about packing things up after a soaking rain, but I have taken things out the following year to find them still wet.   Any thoughts on this?

If we get a drenching{downpour}, I won't take anything down for at least 3 dry days in succession.  This gives everything a chance to thoroughly dry out.  But I do check daily every day to see if anything has completely dried out, anything that has, it will be the first to come down and be put away.   So I may take some things down the day after, but only if they are completely dried out!

Sometimes in Florida, we don't get 3 days in a row without rain, but mostly in the winter months we usually do have a longer number of days between rainstorms than we do in the summer.  But then, not as common, some winters have a difference of opinion on that. LOL

Edited by Orville

My tear down date is New Years Day weather permitting Thank the Lord it didn't rain and my display is down and stored away.

Normally, I would have started today January 2nd tearing down, but thanks to the ice storm that came thru yesterday, everything is still covered with ice today and now possibly 2 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow on top of the ice. So my display is still running tonight and may run for a couple of more days till everything gets melted off.

Wayne

I am late this year, and spent 7 hours today taking down props in the yard (mega tree, pixel tree, leaping arches, spiral trees, small fake trees) and packing them/putting them away.  Still have all the props on the porch and lights on the shrubs to do.  I ultimately did keep everything going the last week in static mode for #LightsOnForHeroes.  What is left out there will stay on for the same reason until I can get them down.

I am working alone for most of it, the wife had knee surgery a few weeks ago and is limited...

last week I took in 5 of 6 controllers, the one I left is on the patio. Today I spent a few hours taking things down that I needed the extension ladder for and moving stuff towards the shed and garage. Tomorrow I plan to get more done, hoping to have it all down by next weekend. 

I always run until orthodox Xmas or three king days as some called it here, just finished up with most 95%, still have controllers and cords , rebar ect, ect 

I do keep my snowmen, 20 blowmold and wireframe , in my front yard till the end of February , then up go my Easter bunnies blowmolds

Just got mine down EXCEPT for the LOR Singing Trees and RGB lights on 01/07/2021.  What I took down were all my Blow Molds, Gemmy Lightshow Stars, and Snowfall Lights.   I am considering doing a Valentines Show this year using the Singing LOR Trees and the RGB Lights and possibly adding in some more RGB lighting on the house{depending}.   Just trying to determine should the Valentines show be only the night of 2/14 or should I run it a few days {3-4 days before} and last show on 2/14?

Will be trying to use some of the love songs like:  "Can't Fight This Feeling" by R.E.O. Speedwagon, "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher, "Love is Love" by Boy George and Culture Club, "I'm Going To Love You Anyway" by Cristy Lane, "Call Me" by Blondie, "Together in Electric Dreams" {don't recall the artist, but from the Movie: Electric Dreams Soundtrack}, and "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers just to name a few.

That's sort of my plan for Valentines Day.   Easter is one Holiday I've not found very many songs for unless using a lot of Christian based songs, then there's quite a lot, but none there about Easter Bunnies or Candy.   So I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll do with Easter.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:58 PM, tlogan said:

I keep mine up until the nicest weekend to tear down after Jan 6. You know, Jan 6th...the 12th Day of Christmas? The actual Christmas season STARTS on Christmas Day, not the day after Thanksgiving. So I keep my show running until Jan 2 and then run all lights static until the 6th, then go dark. The nicest weekend after that I take down. Here in Northern Virginia, we'll get a couple of those before it gets really cold toward the end of Jan and into Feb. 

I got everything down  (and MOSTLY packed this past weekend) with help from my wife. It was sunny, lower - mid 40s and only slightly breezy. I at least wanted to get the ladder stuff down on Saturday...Mega Tree and lights over garage and front door. We ended up getting most of it done. It was even nicer on Sunday but by then,  I only had a few things left (nets and a few strings on bushes, mini trees and a few wireframe deer. Got most put back in shed, too. Forecast was originally calling for cold and possible rain/snow later this week but that seems to have been taken out of the forecast. Now totally cloudy and possible rain later this week. So if I had waited until next week, it would be colder and possibly everything would still be wet.

Don't get me started on the net lights this year! I had 4 nets on bushes and THREE of them have problems. TWO of them were brand new this year.

So, THIS was the nicest weekend after Jan. 6th. 

I had set Jan 6th as my end date , but that day I decided to run the show thru the 21ST  as a beacon of hope(we were still having folks stop by) after the sadness of that day and the fact that we are still trying to deal with the covid 19 virus and getting the vaccines.  Here in Florida we have been trying every day to get thru to make appointments ,the lines are jammed, some are lucky.  We will keep trying ,they are doing folks over 65 which is us .  

Best Regards to All

David

In Kentucky - they are doing inmates - right after people over 75 - but before people over 65 and the general public...

Priorities... Because we do not want a bunch of inmates running around infecting the general public..

Edited by KYHI

25 minutes ago, KYHI said:

In Kentucky - they are doing inmates - right after people over 75 - but before people over 65 and the general public...

Priorities... Because we do not want a bunch of inmates running around infecting the general public..

It's not about infecting the public.  Prisons have a high density population so "social distancing" is largely not possible and they are full of people who generally don't follow the rules - like masking and hand washing.  At least here in California, the prison system has had extremely high infection rates and death rates.  Been pretty bad on the staff too.  And yes, senior living facilities are getting the vaccines too.

Because of my COVID last month, I still tire easily, so been very slow getting my show down.  Saturday got the lights on the eves down and put away and that wore me out enough that I did not do anything physical Sunday.  Got the two singing faces down yesterday.  That only leaves the pixel tree.

well, needless to say me and my wife will be one of the last ones to get a shot as we are both in our 60's and will have to contend as the general public

we were able to get on a list here this morning, but its two weeks away or so , I am 71 and John is 69  , they said they would call if they had a opening for us we are only 3 min from site, I havent been out of the house, yard or off the roof since march after the 21st its back on the roof ! 

David 

I'm 61 so a ways off for the general public, but I'm hoping to get it through work earlier - I work in local government.

Yes, even though I had COVID, I will get the vaccine because it is looking like there will be things that you want to do that will require showing that you have had the vaccine - like getting on an airplane.

Funny, our local news put out last week that my VAMC received doses and would distribute them to the 100% disabled and high risk along with the people living in the nursing home.

When I contacted my PCM I was told they didn’t not know how they were going to disburse them and I would need to keep in touch with them.

I feel a lot of is perm disabled vets will be forgotten. My wife just got her second dose yesterday she is a NP and sees patients every day.

The boys have not been away from our property since last March 15 except for the school drive by when the teachers placed stuff in the bed of the truck.

I have only been out just enough when I needed to go to the store and they are very brief stops.

I am fortunate enough that my sister n law is young and she does shopping and always gets anything we need. However she like everyone else is not allowed to come inside.

Im high risk, wife high risk, the boys just caught in the middle.

Some say children will be ok, that they don’t die “often”. My thoughts on that, often means nothing until / unless it’s your child.

JR

John and I were finally able to get on a list here in Fort Lauderdale , they said about a month or if they have a new shipment they will call us.  We are both high risk.  WE went to a park here with a site for shots with no appointment , it ran out after about ten cars, the next morning the car line was 4 miles long , and they were all turned away, so we wait !  We don't go anywhere or see any one,  I did wave at the folks that were watching the display.

Last nite was the last for our display ,I had kept it going as a beacon of good hope during theses dark days.   Lucky I did that ,the nite before Brian from LOBO drones was able to come and shoot about two hours of video of the display.  I watched as he and his partner set up shots and flew the drone over the house up and down the street and other angles.  They shot in 4k HD ,the monitor looked great.  Once he has done all the editing I will post the link.  Sad I missed the dead line for the LOR contest, they should extend it I think.   HMMMMMM seems that only one winner was chosen from last year weren't there several levels ??? plus there haven't  been any videos from 2020 released, some sort of a bump in the road.

So today starts take down, I turned all the controllers off last nite at shut down, and brought in the computer from my work bench in the garage.  One more cup of coffee and I will be out there  pullin wires.

All the best to everyone stay safe, get the shots. 

David  and John

6 hours ago, DLH lites said:

John and I were finally able to get on a list here in Fort Lauderdale , they said about a month or if they have a new shipment they will call us.  We are both high risk.  WE went to a park here with a site for shots with no appointment , it ran out after about ten cars, the next morning the car line was 4 miles long , and they were all turned away, so we wait !  We don't go anywhere or see any one,  I did wave at the folks that were watching the display.

Last nite was the last for our display ,I had kept it going as a beacon of good hope during theses dark days.   Lucky I did that ,the nite before Brian from LOBO drones was able to come and shoot about two hours of video of the display.  I watched as he and his partner set up shots and flew the drone over the house up and down the street and other angles.  They shot in 4k HD ,the monitor looked great.  Once he has done all the editing I will post the link.  Sad I missed the dead line for the LOR contest, they should extend it I think.   HMMMMMM seems that only one winner was chosen from last year weren't there several levels ??? plus there haven't  been any videos from 2020 released, some sort of a bump in the road.

So today starts take down, I turned all the controllers off last nite at shut down, and brought in the computer from my work bench in the garage.  One more cup of coffee and I will be out there  pullin wires.

All the best to everyone stay safe, get the shots. 

David  and John

They usually don't release any videos until after the deadline date. 

The rain and drizzle has been relentless so I still have some props up. I don't take wet props down. The only controllers, cables and lights still out are the ones that are year round.

Gonna be a while for the last props since its gonna continue to rain for another week.

JR