Light-O-Rama Forums

Xenon strobes failure rate

ebrown1972

I took my dislay down yesterday like I always do on the 26th. After getting everything packed back in my basement, I tested the 100 Xenon strobes I had in my display to see how many failures I had. I had 12 that no longer worked. Each of the 12 appeared to have water in them. I purchased them from 2 different vendors and allegedly the Xenon were supposed to be made better than in the past specifically with water intrusion. Well, at a 12% failure rate I am not so sure I will continue to use them. All of my 5mm strobe strings still work great with 0 failures. More than likely, I will stick with the 5mm strobes from now on. For you that use Xenon strobes, what was your failure rate like?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have about 10 brand new in box I will gladly send after the holidays. Let me know (free)

JR

JR that would be awesome. Thank you very much. Eric

27 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

JR that would be awesome. Thank you very much. Eric

Shoot me a PM with Xenon strobes in subject and I will see it. When I put my lights back in storage it will remind me to grab them.

Include your mailing info.

JR

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have about 10 brand new in box I will gladly send after the holidays. Let me know (free)

JR

HI !    I am still using them also

The Xenon light output is far superior.   I have tried all the strobes and prefer the Xenon and yes I know they have a bad failure rate.    The new 'better' waterproofing is completely bogus from my point of view.    I am old school and simply expect the changes in temperature to pull in the moisture from the air.   My solution is to drill a weep hole in each one.    This defeats the waterproofing but allows  water to drain.  I think I posted a video about this 5-7 years ago.

Rummaged around and found this pic from 2010 which shows ice inside the strobes.  I'm still using this kind as my primary.

StrobeIce1.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

The Xenon light output is far superior.   I have tried all the strobes and prefer the Xenon and yes I know they have a bad failure rate.    The new 'better' waterproofing is completely bogus from my point of view.    I am old school and simply expect the changes in temperature to pull in the moisture from the air.   My solution is to drill a weep hole in each one.    This defeats the waterproofing but allows  water to drain.  I think I posted a video about this 5-7 years ago.

Rummaged around and found this pic from 2010 which shows ice inside the strobes.  I'm still using this kind as my primary.

StrobeIce1.jpg

Thanks for the input. I do have a place I can put them out of the weather that will still allow the audience a good look at them. I will move them next year and hopefully that will help some too. I may drill a hole too