Light-O-Rama Forums

First timer here, please be gentle

mcnairb

I have just decorated our house with LED lights from stores in the past, but would love to add a show. I think, as of now, I want to stay with “regular” LED lights and blink to music, no talking trees or anything like that. My idea is to get started with an assembled LOR 16 output and a whole house FM transmitter 3.0. I have countless questions, starting with, would this be a good starting place for (with the mentioned hardware)?

Is there something I’m missing that I will need?

Any and all information, insight, recommendations, questions, critiques are welcome. I am really looking forward to diving in here. Thanks in advance 

WELCOME

An AC (CTB series) starter package is for you. (You might find some members selling their AC stuff at a good price. Be aware that only Gen3's can do the faster network speeds used with Pixies. Gen'2 work fine, but have a few less capabilities). It is hard to overload a CTB series using only LEDS (I converted all mine to 1 power cord configuration (12A max) )

A Basic license (sold at a discount with Starter packages), will cover 2 AC (32 ports) controllers. 💡 You will find you always need MORE ports 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me this too is all new - I did a lot of research and shopping list comparisons for the items I wanted

But the best package deal is http://store.lightorama.com/tsoshcestpa.html

Because of what it Includes as compared to pricing other packages to have same options...

Shame is - Some Packages have Options - that do not carry over into any another package...

And as said before - you are going to "Want" more ports... So figure out what you "Really" want now, as you have plenty of time til xmas

Edited by KYHI

I believe you can get the discount for Showtime (inc higher levels) at the time of purchase of any controller.

Be sure to buy a RED adapter (the package comes with Black, keep that as a spare for slow items or just testing) 

On 12/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, TheDucks said:

WELCOME

An AC (CTB series) starter package is for you. (You might find some members selling their AC stuff at a good price. Be aware that only Gen3's can do the faster network speeds used with Pixies. Gen'2 work fine, but have a few less capabilities). It is hard to overload a CTB series using only LEDS (I converted all mine to 1 power cord configuration (12A max) )

A Basic license (sold at a discount with Starter packages), will cover 2 AC (32 ports) controllers. 💡 You will find you always need MORE ports 😛

Thanks for the info. Do you know, if I get a basic starter package, 16 ports, from LOR, and find another CTB 16 port can I run both of those if my starter pack? I hope that makes sense. Thx 

19 minutes ago, mcnairb said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know, if I get a basic starter package, 16 ports, from LOR, and find another CTB 16 port can I run both of those if my starter pack? I hope that makes sense. Thx 

A 'Starter pack' is just a promotional bundle. running 2@ CTB16 is no problem with that license level. Just daisy chain the LOR inputs.

Note: You can use ANY good quality CAT5 (Avoid CAT6 up, as it is too stiff and can damage the jacks. Many of us just build our own custom length cables from bulk datacom materials

If you go for 2 controllers, you might bump the License up to Basic+ (AFAIK, also includes a discount) as you will be adding more next season (unless your SO shoots you for blowing the budget)

• Thanks 1