Light-O-Rama Forums

New 64 Channel LOR Controller

cenote

Yes, you heard it;), the latest controller due out soon. I was able to Google Earth over Dan's secrete headquarters in NJ. Little do they know, they left there sky light open today. Was ale to zoom all the way in to get these shots of what must be a new controller there are working on. Can't say much about the color, must be a Halloween package for next year.:P

OK, maybe not:(, but it is my latest creation for my century tree this year.:)

Attached files 161299=9344-DSCF0123.JPG

Jeff Millard wrote:

How many conductors in the channel output cables? I see three on a side, two deep so I'm guessing between six and nine. ...and you have one more set of 3 to go right?
And are you keeping the majority of your neutrals off the boards?

Using 18/11 sprinkler wire scraps from work. Using 5 channels per neutral. One for each leg of the tree. Max load on each leg is under 2 amps, and wire run is about 7 feet from box to tree legs.

Picture was taken before I had totally completed it.

Unfortunately, the wire is solid. That is why I am keeping it under 2 amps. I think 18g stranded is good for about 3-4amps @ 120v @ under 50'. I've never seen sprinkler wire not be solid. But is nice because readily available up to 13 conductor at my supplier.

Hi, Chuck:

I got 2100 LED icicles up just before the rain yesterday too. I have to hire someone to get the remaining 1300 up.

Very nice work!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your version of the Century tree in action...

-Roy

nice tree- how tall is it?

i like the idea of multi wire connectors - but -be advised sprinler wire's insulation is not rated for line voltage and there is the possiblilty of problems ranging from a leak voltage from one conductor to another to the bonding of two or more wire in the bundle. the last resulting in a possible meltdown

Dr. Jones wrote:

nice tree- how tall is it?

i like the idea of multi wire connectors - but -be advised sprinler wire's insulation is not rated for line voltage and there is the possiblilty of problems ranging from a leak voltage from one conductor to another to the bonding of two or more wire in the bundle. the last resulting in a possible meltdown

Whoops, did not know that...have been running my mini trees with it, and seem to stay cool so far. But hey, maybe it will keep the snow away from the tree ;) Will keep forum up to date with conditions.

Jeff Millard wrote:

cenote wrote:
I've never seen sprinkler wire not be solid. But is nice because readily available up to 13 conductor at my supplier.

I found some stranded wire searching Google last night. Anywhere from 2 to 30 conductors... But...

Dr. Jones wrote:
- but -be advised sprinler wire's insulation is not rated for line voltage and there is the possiblilty of problems ranging from a leak voltage from one conductor to another to the bonding of two or more wire in the bundle. the last resulting in a possible meltdown

I found this to be true in both solid and stranded. 30 volts was the rating. However, I think the insulation on christmas lights isn't much better. So what gives? IMO it's the direct burial rating/qualification that limits the wire to 30 volts. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to say it's D/B if it had a 300 volt rating. I didn't look to see what the UV quality was because I gave up on it when I saw 30 volts. I'd really lik to come across another deal like the 300' of #14 with 9 conductors. I still have 100' of it left & I can't decide where to use it. When it's gone I'll be heart broken.

Jeff

I have found that www.Delcity.net has pretty good deals on stranded multi conductor auto wire (16-20g). I have bought alot from them in the last year, and have had no problems. Always ships the next day. Would agree that the sprinkler wire has the same thinckness insulation as mini lights.

Jeff Millard wrote:

cenote wrote:
I've never seen sprinkler wire not be solid. But is nice because readily available up to 13 conductor at my supplier.

I found some stranded wire searching Google last night. Anywhere from 2 to 30 conductors... But...

Dr. Jones wrote:
- but -be advised sprinler wire's insulation is not rated for line voltage and there is the possiblilty of problems ranging from a leak voltage from one conductor to another to the bonding of two or more wire in the bundle. the last resulting in a possible meltdown

I found this to be true in both solid and stranded. 30 volts was the rating. However, I think the insulation on christmas lights isn't much better. So what gives? IMO it's the direct burial rating/qualification that limits the wire to 30 volts. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to say it's D/B if it had a 300 volt rating. I didn't look to see what the UV quality was because I gave up on it when I saw 30 volts. I'd really lik to come across another deal like the 300' of #14 with 9 conductors. I still have 100' of it left & I can't decide where to use it. When it's gone I'll be heart broken.

Jeff

The direct burrial designation doesn't matter. It is all dependant on the dielectric properties of the plastics used to insulate the wire. I have seen direct burrial wire rated at 300v - looks like romex but can be burried.

Dr. Jones wrote:

The direct burrial designation doesn't matter. It is all dependant on the dielectric properties of the plastics used to insulate the wire. I have seen direct burrial wire rated at 300v - looks like romex but can be burried.

Do you know if the casing is usually marked? and what kind of markings? Hate to have all this work, and have my wires melt together after a week:X

As I dont have an sprikkler wire on hand to look at - I cannot give you the rating on the wire - it should be printed on the jacketing- look for something like 60v

as for direct burrial - I cant speak for that either, but would assume it actually has direct burial printed on the jacket - also it is gray

OK so maybe I'll be replacing the wire next summer with something a little thicker. Wire does say 30v, but hey, 30v, 60v,120v...who's counting:D:D:D UL rating got to be good for at least 4x that;)

Seriously, i will keep a eye on the temps, and let you know. Most of the sequences on that wire are for very short burst. Thanks for the info, that's why i love these boards. And I do GFI all the outlets.