Jump to content

Well..in true 2020 fashion..I got Covid the week of Christmas


Recommended Posts

Good luck.  Hope you don't get too sick and recovery well.

I also received a positive test last Friday.  Fortunately, I'm not overly sick.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Good luck.  Hope you don't get too sick and recovery well.

I also received a positive test last Friday.  Fortunately, I'm not overly sick.

 

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your test. Hopefully the mild symptoms will be the extent of it for you too.

Edited by Sctiger
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as Al above states. I have added all of you and a few others here that I know who has or had it to my thoughts and prayers. Being high risk myself I have been lucky  but I do wear a mask any time I go off my property. With a wife who is a nurse practitioner, luckily she gets her vaccination in 2 days we cant be overly careful.

Prayers for a mild case and expedient recovery.

JR

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this isn't {Covid-19} going to balloon into an even worse pandemic after Christmas than the first time through.  But from the way folks are going and what they are doing, I'm almost certain this is going to be worse, much worse. 

But I'm just concerned that folks think because there is a vaccine currently that they are letting their guard down far too early, which is not a very smart thing to do.   After all, they say that the vaccine won't be in those that will take/want it until sometime by late Spring or Summer 2021{possibly even later}, which means we have a LONG way to go still yet before we can actually call it anywhere near back to normal or being vaccinated against it.

Wishing all those that have been exposed or gotten it, going through have it mild and get over it soon and make a full recovery.   Prayers to all that are going through this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts - The virus is not going away, it is here to stay.. Just like the Flu

So how long do we lock down to prevent a virus, that we can't prevent.

Because clearly what we have been doing- has not prevented the virus from spreading..

I also find it odd that those who said a vaccine would not happen in a year - are the first in line for it....

Edited by KYHI
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, KYHI said:

My thoughts - The virus is not going away, it is here to stay.. Just like the Flu

So how long do we lock down to prevent a virus, that we can't prevent.

Because clearly what we have been doing- has not prevented the virus from spreading..

I also find it odd that those who said a vaccine would not happen in a year - are the first in line for 

The way I perceive your statement- it’s way out there.
 

Only the God knows the outcome of all of this.

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the proverbial saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" is particularly appropriate for people's lives in the Covid era. If your circle of interactions involve people who are careless or don't take appropriate precautions, then you may be playing with fire. 

For me and my wife, we've tried to be SO cautious due to our 1st grandchild and aging parents. We haven't been in a restaurant since March. Had to sit in a car in the SC summer as our grandchild was born. Utilizing the "pick up" options at grocery stores and restaurants. Really only going out to go to work because we're both considered "essential." 

BUT...even with an abundance of caution, it happened. Thank the Lord my symptoms pretty much only lasted 24 hrs so far (knock on wood) but I'm still within that 10 day contagious period. Thanks for the prayers, they're working. I hope everyone else is experiencing the same. If you're at risk, remember the proverbial chain and tighten up those circles of interaction! I'll be praying for the rest of you as well. Merry Christmas!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't understand all the folk who do not wear a mask (PROPERLY) when close to others in  public (mainly stores). I see uncovered noses, no masks and all that PROTEST.

This is not the typical overkill, that sometimes carve another 0.01% off the stats. SOCAL Hospitals are at 100%. 😧

Personally I hate my mask. If fogs my glasses, gets tangled in the 'Temples', BUT I WEAR IT  when I pick up my mail, buy groceries (I impulse buy my menus 🙃 ) and go to the hardware store

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I just don't understand all the folk who do not wear a mask (PROPERLY) when close to others in  public (mainly stores). I see uncovered noses, no masks and all that PROTEST.

This is not the typical overkill, that sometimes carve another 0.01% off the stats. SOCAL Hospitals are at 100%. 😧

Personally I hate my mask. If fogs my glasses, gets tangled in the 'Temples', BUT I WEAR IT  when I pick up my mail, buy groceries (I impulse buy my menus 🙃 ) and go to the hardware store

 

Exactly- I had a big long reply and deleted all for my last one.

Some people just don’t care about others.

My wife is a NP and I can tell you she sees the beds full now to the point that as the senior physician said “ the sad part is the only way to get another soul in a bed is when one dies”.

All the “mask wearing is a violation of my rights” people be glad I’m not in charge.

It would be a law and anyone knowingly exposing others after being  told they have  Covid and or to stay home- you would get no treatment. 
 

My wife hates that I say that but it is my opinion. 
 

I have probably went off my property 20 times since March 15 and some of them were to take my boys to the drive up at their school to get the required learning packets.

I have about 10 masks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray in my vehicles.

While driving I do not mask but before I open the door to get out, I don and clear one.

nothing comes in to my home unless it has either been sprayed down or sit in my trailer for days. Nothing , ever frozen foods.

With her being at the hospital and me being high risk so far we have been lucky. However I feel I was sick from it on January 31. I was very sick but thought it was either a bad flu or a milder bout of pneumonia. I had pneumonia 4 years in a row previously.

However in January was the first tome I couldn’t breath while trying to sleep laying down so had to sit up. I also had a cough that lasted almost exactly 3 months to the day.

At the times they were not testing for Covid and I didn’t go to the Dr again for a shot in the arse and a dose pack. I just sweated it out.

Had everyone did what it sounds like you and I have done and will continue to do , as stated only God knows where we would be right now.

The wife will get her vaccination today or tomorrow and the VA will let me know when they start giving yo high risk people. At least the messages me that which is a good start but even after we will continue to take all precautions to keep our boys safe.

End rant/ opinion

JR

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

JR, I really agree with you and I'd be the same way to those buffoons that continue to protest wearing a mask when out and about around others.  They get it because of their own arrogance and stupidity, then like you, I say no treatment.  If you'd have followed the rules you'd get treated.

I hate wearing the mask, I have severe COPD, Asthma and other issues with wearing one.  I actually carry an Oximeter with me when I have to wear one because after a while, I start getting light-headed and dizzy from wearing it and I'm not all that stable on my feet as it is with my knee issues and either walk with a cane or wife pushes me places in a wheelchair if I go out anywhere and we don't have a ride to/from.

Folks say that masks don't take away your ability to breathe, well, my oximeter begs to differ {oximeter is a device that measures your oxygen level}, my oxygen level drops to as low as 89% when I wear a mask for any extended period{over 20-25 minutes}, normal levels are usually 98-100%, then I have to remove it and get outside as quickly as I can to breathe or puff on my inhaler to get back to breathing normally.   Plus the darn thing{mask} also sets me off in a Panic Attack if I'm wearing it for more than 20-25 minutes, then I become light headed, dizzy, need to remove it so I can breathe normally.    And is why in most cases I stay home and let my wife go to the store to pick up things.   If I can't get in/out of a place within 20 minutes or less I stay home.  And having COPD and Asthma, I have a chronic cough that I've had since practically the day I was born, born with Asthma, developed COPD about 5 years ago and the chronic cough got worse.  It gets so bad at times folks think I have Covid-19, but it's just the dad-blasted, annoying cough from my asthma, COPD and other medical issues I have.  And what does my Doc prescribe to do, take Dayquill or Nightquill for the cough, so now folks probably think I'm a meth junkie or some such because of the number of cough medicine bottle I buy a week to keep the cough under control. Another reason I just stay home.   I even carry a thermal touchless thermometer to show folks I do not have a fever, that my temp is normal. when or if I do go out.

And me being in the high risk zone as well with my medical issues, it's just better for me to stay home than go out to places unless it is absolutely necessary!

 

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, please, please ... be careful with this topic.

This isn't a medical discussion forum, so please limit your discussions accordingly. I am not saying anyone has done anything wrong - I'm saying be careful how you word things, please.

(Did I use 'Please' enough?) :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in the medical world as well (Labcorp) so I've seen and heard a lot about this virus and vaccine.  Please take care of yourself and whomever is in your personal bubble.  We have a ways to go before we are anywhere back to normal.

That's why this year, I felt the need for the Christmas light show more than ever.  If I can supply just a little bit of joy during a year most people would love to forget, it's worth it for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BluMan said:

I work in the medical world as well (Labcorp) so I've seen and heard a lot about this virus and vaccine.  Please take care of yourself and whomever is in your personal bubble.  We have a ways to go before we are anywhere back to normal.

That's why this year, I felt the need for the Christmas light show more than ever.  If I can supply just a little bit of joy during a year most people would love to forget, it's worth it for me.

Indeed.   My one respite from quarantine is to go outside and interact (masked) with visitors from a safe distance.   So many people have told us that the light show was extra appreciated this year.    Of course, I can’t pass out candy canes or get to my sequencing computer to fix up stuff I’m noticing, but I’m getting a lot of time to research my next project for January!

Hopefully my test results come back today and they are negative so I can pass out candy canes tonight and spend Christmas with my family.  All I want is hugs from them.  

Ironically, I added Ahmed’s “Ode To 2020” to the show this year, where he sings about going up on the housetop to get away from sick people.   Sorry, Ahmed - I am on the rooftop a lot since the window to get there comes from my bedroom.  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jtomason said:

Indeed.   My one respite from quarantine is to go outside and interact (masked) with visitors from a safe distance.   So many people have told us that the light show was extra appreciated this year.    Of course, I can’t pass out candy canes or get to my sequencing computer to fix up stuff I’m noticing, but I’m getting a lot of time to research my next project for January!

Hopefully my test results come back today and they are negative so I can pass out candy canes tonight and spend Christmas with my family.  All I want is hugs from them.  

Ironically, I added Ahmed’s “Ode To 2020” to the show this year, where he sings about going up on the housetop to get away from sick people.   Sorry, Ahmed - I am on the rooftop a lot since the window to get there comes from my bedroom.  :D

I think a bunch of us miss going out and being able to speak with others as well as everyone will miss my Santa Clause picture ops and handing out gifts. Even masked up I wont be out mingling. As much as I love what I do, it is not worth risking my household over strangers or our families that live very close by. They can all wait until 2022.

Stay safe whatever you decide, prayers that your test comes back negative.

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I think a bunch of us miss going out and being able to speak with others as well as everyone will miss my Santa Clause picture ops and handing out gifts. Even masked up I wont be out mingling. As much as I love what I do, it is not worth risking my household over strangers or our families that live very close by. They can all wait until 2022.

Stay safe whatever you decide, prayers that your test comes back negative.

JR

Just got the news - negative!   Best Christmas gift ever. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jtomason said:

Just got the news - negative!   Best Christmas gift ever. 

Sometimes they actually work.

I have been truly blessed by some of the friends here. Many I have met but more that I haven’t. 
 

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jtomason said:

Just got the news - negative!   Best Christmas gift ever. 

Finally some good news! So happy for you! Be sure to give your loved ones an extra hug for those of us who can't be with our own! Be sure to eat more than usual too for those of us who can't even taste the food 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

Finally some good news! So happy for you! Be sure to give your loved ones an extra hug for those of us who can't be with our own! Be sure to eat more than usual too for those of us who can't even taste the food 🤣

Already had wild, vicious hugs and am right now having some Christmas cookies - which is indeed a treat after a week of carefully watching my blood sugar.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...