Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 - Must every channel have the same number of pixels?

johnhalbert3

I am a newbie to pixels.    I have a pixie16 and want to convert some of the house outline that I have done with regular xmas lights to rgb pixels, but not every outline is the same length (garage outline (~150 pixel lights) vs window outline (~80 pixel lights). Assuming that I set the Pixel16 to unit id 1, port 1 is unit id 1, port 2 is unit id 2, etc (correct?).  Assume that the garage is connected to port 1 and the window is port 2 -

In the S4 pixel editor, I create 2 props, one for each port (each with different unit id's for each port) each with different pixels lengths? Or is there some other better way?

John

9 minutes ago, johnhalbert3 said:

I am a newbie to pixels.    I have a pixie16 and want to convert some of the house outline that I have done with regular xmas lights to rgb pixels, but not every outline is the same length (garage outline (~150 pixel lights) vs window outline (~80 pixel lights). Assuming that I set the Pixel16 to unit id 1, port 1 is unit id 1, port 2 is unit id 2, etc (correct?).  Assume that the garage is connected to port 1 and the window is port 2 -

In the S4 pixel editor, I create 2 props, one for each port (each with different unit id's for each port) each with different pixels lengths? Or is there some other better way?

John

No, that was easy.

I have found no difference in the speed of a string having 24 pixels or a string with 156 pixels. (my max roof outline longest peak run) with the pixie series controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You said:

Pixie16 - Must every channel have the same number of pixels?

Terminology correction.  There are 16 ports or outputs on a Pixie 16 - NOT 16 "channels".  Each port or output will have many channels (three per pixel normally).  Referring to the outputs from a pixel controller as channels will only cause confusion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KYHI said:

So how many Pixels can be addressed by any 1 Output

The Pixie controllers can handle 170 pixels per port as I understand it.  Other controllers have various other limits.

42 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The Pixie controllers can handle 170 pixels per port as I understand it.  Other controllers have various other limits.

Correct 170 max and they will jot understand null pixels.

when the pixielink hits the streets it’s a new ball game 

JR

will that is 70 more Pixels per port then listed for the Pixie16 - so is that not 3 ribbon strips (150 LED = 50 Pixel each strip)

at 60A rating * 12 volts = 720 watts / 16 ports = 45 watts or 3.75A per port

19 minutes ago, KYHI said:

will that is 70 more Pixels per port then listed for the Pixie16 - so is that not 3 ribbon strips (150 LED = 50 Pixel each strip)

You need to download manual version 1.06 Mar 9, 2020 (and that says 200 per string)

19 minutes ago, KYHI said:

will that is 70 more Pixels per port then listed for the Pixie16

Yes, the Pixie 16 page on the LOR Store does say 100 pixels.  And as I recall, that was the original number  However from the current manual with the current hardware and firmware:

The Light-O-Rama (LOR) Cosmic Color Pixies are low cost, high density RGB pixel controllers. They are available in 2, 4, 8 and 16 string versions. The maximum number of pixels on a string is 200.

The store webpage needs to be updated...

23 minutes ago, KYHI said:

You just made your math more complicated than it needed to be.  60A / 16 ports = 3.75 A per port - voltage does not play a part of that limit.  Except that is not right either.  64 amps total or 32 amps per bank with 4 amp fuses for each pixel port.

If you are trying to drive 200 pixels, you will need power injection to keep the current per port below the 4 amp limit.

29 minutes ago, KYHI said:

so is that not 3 ribbon strips (150 LED = 50 Pixel each strip)

That can be a little confusing with ribbons that have 3 RGB LEDs per control chip.  It's the number of control chips that matter, not the number of RGB LEDs.  That configuration is very common on 12 volt ribbons.  If you want the explanation why, I can give it.

I think we both posted the same thing... Except using slightly different (Listed) specs

Seems we both agree 150 pixels is doable per port with a Pixie16

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

Yes, but you will likely need power injection - especially if you use 5 volt pixels.

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

I think we both posted the same thing... Except using slightly different (Listed) specs

170 max pixels with a pixie16 - 12v

less than 150 with 5v

JR

For those following.

I went to the documentation page and if it is not a typo the new manual is saying 200 pixels per string now. 

I was going too point out that the docs have always said 170 pixels per port (after beta) but I discovered below

Updated just a couple months ago.

This is much higher than beta testing.

I could do 170 all day while beta testing with the pixie set up as a pixcon19.

My thoughts is maybe- just maybe- they are counting that 200 where in S5 you can use the fold. That is just a guess since I haven’t read a manual in a few years.

If it is not a typo all I can say is wow and I may have to test it when I pull lights down.

My bench models are old v1 and v2 so not sure if a firmware only update will get me there.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixie_Man_Web.pdf

Edited by dibblejr

As a New User - I would consider "Doable" as consisting of a base packaged setup..

So that would include the power supply and power ratings and matching pixel count

You can "OverClock" a PC if your an expert and know what you are doing - but I would not recommend doing so to a first time user - so stock is trick & doable to me

Note to Advertiser: Only a Sample Spec Suggestion

This Pixie16 Package Contains - (2) 12v 350 Watt Power Supplies - (1) 12v Pixie16 Controller - Exterior Enclosure - This Package supports up to 150 CCR  Pixels Per Port

Thus providing Doable technical specs with a margin of safety for a New User without overclocking the device

Edited by KYHI

'Doable' in this case IS spec, not a hack like overclock, which is not Spec.

The issue is the user MUST also follow the other steps: Power Inject (Every 50 for 5V, 100 for 12V).

We all know how well many read the whole manual / install notes 🙄

40 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

'Doable' in this case IS spec, not a hack like overclock, which is not Spec.

The issue is the user MUST also follow the other steps: Power Inject (Every 50 for 5V, 100 for 12V).

We all know how well many read the whole manual / install notes 🙄

Power Injection is not a "requirement". It is based on conditions on the ground. Each person may have a different experience however with the hundreds I have helped with the pixie controllers - not one required PI.

JR

31 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Sorry I do not see a link to the "Manual" on this page > http://store.lightorama.com/ascowipico12.html

I linked the "manual" above. http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixie_Man_Web.pdf

Edited by dibblejr