Light-O-Rama Forums

What to add to the top of the house? And how?

jtomason

Hello LOR hive-mind...  

The wife is requesting - nay, demanding - that "something" be added to the top of the house because "it looks unfinished".    I have no idea what to add/do. 

Consider the attached picture (and pardon the poor quality).    I cannot get on the top roof - my ladder will not reach due to the covered porch.   I can stand on the porch, but can only reach up to about the top of the windows. 

Additionally, I am not much into singing faces, blow molds, etc.   I'm more into pure lighting elements, but am always up for a good idea no matter what it is.  

The only thing I have been able to fathom is using a pole attachment for clips on the gutter, but what to hang?    What would look good next to the dumb RGB window outlines and star?

Help me, LOR Kenobis.... You're my only hope!    :D

Thanks, Joe

house (Copy).jpg

Edited by jtomason

I take it that you can't get to the roof from the sides or back side either - can't tell from your photo.  Assuming that is the case, you could rent a man lift to install permanent lighting on the roof with the intention that is stays there year round.  It would be a one time expense, but only once - unless something breaks or you decide to change it.  Obviously safety first!

BTW, are those candy canes the ones from Holiday Coro?

Hi Jim!

Yep, there's no (easy) way to get on the roof without a man lift - which I am not opposed to - but real question is WHAT to install?

And yes, the candy canes are from Holiday Coro and I love them almost as much as my arches.   :)

Would the significant other be satisfied with the front gutter lines. Pixels on PVC or strips ( prefer pixels myself) could be hung by getting on the lower roof through the window. 

11 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Would the significant other be satisfied with the front gutter lines. Pixels on PVC or strips ( prefer pixels myself) could be hung by getting on the lower roof through the window. 

That's about the only thing I was able to even think of - but how would one hang those hands-off from the gutter?   Are there PVC-holding gutter clips?

1 hour ago, jtomason said:

And yes, the candy canes are from Holiday Coro and I love them almost as much as my arches.   :)

Thanks, they looked like the HC ones.  I have six of them in the garage - still in the box, and I have mostly sequenced them.  I was going to try to get them assembled and installed this past weekend, but was sick (not COVID as far as I currently know).  Didn't do anything on my ToDo list except extra sleep...

Just now, KYHI said:

I would just use a step ladder on the porch roof - but yet then I was in the building trades

With the hospitals as full as they are, that's not the smartest thing I could do right now.   :D

Come on now.  They would LOVE to see a good trauma instead of all the COVD cases.  It would be a welcome change :)

• Haha 1

Since the SO suggested this. Why not rent a Cherry Picker?

(They are FUN! I got to use one when I was in the Navy. Base Commanders TV antenna was wonky.  Took a quick safety coarse at Public Works and was good to go an check one out.)

we have rented a tow behind lift from Home depot - like 300 for the day.. backed it up right to the house and up we go..

Put Santa falling off the roof.. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Just  a thought, c9's across the gutter to match the ones on the ground then the 10 watt flood system ,some on front of upstairs where the red start is and then some flooding the roof from the gutter. I use the front of my house as the canvas , and the props in the yard to draw the eye. This next year I will be adding the 10 watt flood system to flood the front of the house to better the effect.  Hey Just a thought .

David

2 hours ago, DLH lites said:

Just  a thought, c9's across the gutter to match the ones on the ground then the 10 watt flood system ,some on front of upstairs where the red start is and then some flooding the roof from the gutter. I use the front of my house as the canvas , and the props in the yard to draw the eye. This next year I will be adding the 10 watt flood system to flood the front of the house to better the effect.  Hey Just a thought .

David

Hi David, and thanks for the ideas!

I actually have some 10w floods that I had aimed at the house.   The problem is that the house is a dark brown - hard to see in this pic - and the floods really don't show up much/at all and have a weird color cast due to the house color, so I pulled them.  They are sitting in a bin while I figure out what I want to do with them.    I had them at the edge of the lawn in front of the arches and candy canes aimed at the driveway, but it wasn't very impressive..     

On 12/15/2020 at 10:32 PM, KYHI said:

we have rented a tow behind lift from Home depot - like 300 for the day.. backed it up right to the house and up we go..

Put Santa falling off the roof.. LOL

I'm actually thinking about putting an RV-style ladder on top of the first roof that leads to the second roof.   That might make putting anything on that roof easier and avoids having to rent lift equipment to get the job done.   

2 hours ago, jtomason said:

I actually have some 10w floods that I had aimed at the house.   The problem is that the house is a dark brown - hard to see in this pic - and the floods really don't show up much/at all and have a weird color cast due to the house color, so I pulled them.  They are sitting in a bin while I figure out what I want to do with them.    I had them at the edge of the lawn in front of the arches and candy canes aimed at the driveway, but it wasn't very impressive..     

Put the floods either just above or just below the gutter - pointed at the audience as blinders.  Several people here are using the 10W floods for that and it looks pretty good.  Obviously you leave them on, but they have quite an impact.

Edited by k6ccc

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Put the floods either just above or just below the gutter - pointed at the audience as blinders.  Several people here are using the 10W floods for that and it looks pretty good.  Obviously you leave them on, but they have quite an impact.

Anyone have a video of this that I can look at?   I'm not sure how I would use them effectively in a show.   Blinding would seem to be counterintuitive on its face, so obviously I am missing something.

I have 14 of them but facing the roof. I have the discussion with myself every year about whether to turn them around, Not sure the neighbors across could stand it. I have a light grey roof and they show up pretty well. There are videos here. They look better in person.

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Obviously you leave them on, but they have quite an impact.

That was supposed to read:  Obviously you DON'T leave them on...