Light-O-Rama Forums

Convert Holiday Coro faces - Incans to LED strings

Donl1150

I have singing faces from Holiday Coro, all currently using incans.  I would like to convert them to LED (Not RGB) string lights.  What size/style bulb would fit in the holes and stay tight, since the factory hole has slightly enlarged when the incans were put it?  Thanks

30 minutes ago, Donl1150 said:

I have singing faces from Holiday Coro, all currently using incans.  I would like to convert them to LED (Not RGB) string lights.  What size/style bulb would fit in the holes and stay tight, since the factory hole has slightly enlarged when the incans were put it?  Thanks

I would think M6 would do best, I would buy a low cost trial string and do a fit check, then if the fit is good then place your order when the sales start, I use M6 light strings from Holiday-Light -Express, they have 35,50,70, and 100 bulb strings to fit all the channels for the holiday coro singing trees. And as you already know there are a lot of lights in each tree.

I think each tree was near 800 bulbs if I remember, so do your self a favor and take advantage of their sale and really outstanding service and warranty. I am always amazed at their customer service and no questions asked warranty service, they saved my show twice this year. I think their sale starts soon after Christmas.

Good Luck, Keith

I done that exact same thing a few years ago. I used M6 leds also if I remember correctly. I think this count sheet is what I went by when I done the upgrade. You will need some black out caps since we cannot buy exact counts for what we need. You might count your holes to make sure they line up with my count, just in case the led count changed over the last few years. hope this helps.

Wayne

image.png.75cb2f1c4b249106a146f5f069302114.png

Edited by Wayne K

Thanks for the input.  I will look into that style and order a set or two to see how they work out.  Then keep an eye out for after Christmas sales......those things are still pricey for some reason.  Thought after this many years of tech improvements the price would come down a bit.

If you purchase good LED light strings you will be money ahead I believe, I have not had a failure on any of my singing tree faces now 5 years, my buddy across the street had one string on his in all this time and Holiday Light Express made good on that one. I don't even want to think of how many lights I have purchased, but I am very happy with HLE and their service.

A fellow lighter from Ocala told me if we adjust our light intensity on the LED's down to 87% they will last a lot longer, I haven't found the easy way to do that but it is on my to do list if I ever do find out. He said the human eye will not see the difference but the lights like the less power and his lasted a lot longer near that power. If I see any notification of HLE sales I will let you know, it is really worth the wait.

Keith

• 4 months later...

Has anyone converted from incans to pixel by drilling out holes?  I"m debating on getting new coro for pixels, OR trying to update my current props to accept pixels.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Dave76 said:

Has anyone converted from incans to pixel by drilling out holes?  I"m debating on getting new coro for pixels, OR trying to update my current props to accept pixels.  Thanks!

I doubt you could get away with that.  By the time the holes were enlarged enough to hold standard pixels, there would be very little coro left along the lines.  That would leave poor mechanical strength.  There is a reason that coro drilled for pixels has far greater spacing than coro drilled for mini-lights.  Think about it.  The Holiday Coro singing faces have 200 mini-lights just for the tree shape.  By comparison the LOR pixel based singing trees have about 200 pixels for the entire product.  That's one of the things I don't like about most pixel based singing trees - the lines look better (fuller) with the additional lights.

2 hours ago, Dave76 said:

I did this with 4 of my Boscoyo singing bulbs; not HC.  I originally bought them as incans (actually for LED from HLE) but after costing out the lights strings for the mouth movements, I found it was cheaper to make the leap to Pixels, and I could do so much more with them.  So I drilled them out, twice.  Once for the bulb side and once for the pixel base side (bullet types).  Being the perfectionist that I am, I was not happy with all the drill holes, but I convinced myself that from 100 feet away, at night, no one would notice.  As you can see in my videos (signature block) those in particular worked out just fine.  I bought another 4 pre-drilled for pixels and added 2 of them to my show for a total of 6.

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I doubt you could get away with that.  By the time the holes were enlarged enough to hold standard pixels, there would be very little coro left along the lines.  That would leave poor mechanical strength.  There is a reason that coro drilled for pixels has far greater spacing than coro drilled for mini-lights.  Think about it.  The Holiday Coro singing faces have 200 mini-lights just for the tree shape.  By comparison the LOR pixel based singing trees have about 200 pixels for the entire product.  That's one of the things I don't like about most pixel based singing trees - the lines look better (fuller) with the additional lights.

Very true. I was thinking similar, was just curious if anyone has done it with success. 

3 hours ago, hasslerk said:

I did this with 4 of my Boscoyo singing bulbs; not HC.  I originally bought them as incans (actually for LED from HLE) but after costing out the lights strings for the mouth movements, I found it was cheaper to make the leap to Pixels, and I could do so much more with them.  So I drilled them out, twice.  Once for the bulb side and once for the pixel base side (bullet types).  Being the perfectionist that I am, I was not happy with all the drill holes, but I convinced myself that from 100 feet away, at night, no one would notice.  As you can see in my videos (signature block) those in particular worked out just fine.  I bought another 4 pre-drilled for pixels and added 2 of them to my show for a total of 6.

I’ll have a look. Thanks for providing some insight to this.  I’m super ocd so maybe it will bug me too much, I’m also wondering about is it worth the time…

On 12/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, Kapkirk said:

A fellow lighter from Ocala told me if we adjust our light intensity on the LED's down to 87% they will last a lot longer, I haven't found the easy way to do that but it is on my to do list if I ever do find out. He said the human eye will not see the difference but the lights like the less power and his lasted a lot longer near that power. If I see any notification of HLE sales I will let you know, it is really worth the wait.

Keith,

For an A/C controller, in hardware utility, select the controller you want to set to 87 percent, then at the bottom hit the config tab, then change the intensity range max setting from 100 to 87 percent, then hit update unit.  Hope that helps!

Make sure you mark it somehow that you have changed it to 87 percent so you won't forget and wonder in the future why your controller  doesn't have full output!🙂

Hope this helps!

Where in northeast Florida are you?  We are in Jacksonville!

Bob

Edited by bdwillie
Grammar clarification

1 hour ago, bdwillie said:

For an A/C controller, in hardware utility, select the controller you want to set to 87 percent, then at the bottom hit the config tab, then change the intensity range max setting from 100 to 87 percent, then hit update unit. 

Note:  that only works on Gen 3 controllers.  The older controllers don't have that capability.

No time to read all but if yoi haven’t done so already.

If you pull out the Incan to change to LED you may/ will have fitment issues.

Ask me how I know. I converted about 16 faces and had the problem.

I used electrical tape and most half up for years. I have retired all but 8 of the faces for RGB

JR

On 5/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, Dave76 said:

Very true. I was thinking similar, was just curious if anyone has done it with success. 

Every 3rd hole for outline and every other hole for mouths will get him through.

Led/ Incan to RGB

JR

13 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

No time to read all but if yoi haven’t done so already.

If you pull out the Incan to change to LED you may/ will have fitment issues.

Ask me how I know. I converted about 16 faces and had the problem.

I used electrical tape and most half up for years. I have retired all but 8 of the faces for RGB

JR

Hey JR, it sounds like a lot of effort for the result. I think I’m just going to get some made for pixels 

• Like 1