Light-O-Rama Forums

Different 4 song shows that run every 30 minutes then stop in the same night?

Wonko

Hi all - newbie question. I'm running S5 for a 16-channel show using LOR and WowLights sequences. I'd like to have 4 songs play at 6pm then stop, then 4 different songs play at 6:30 and stop, etc. throughout the night. I can build a 4 song show using HUB that stops and restarts every 30 minutes, but how do I do that with different shows automatically? I can build multiple shows in Show editor and place them into the Schedule editor, but I don't see an option to have them run every 30 minutes (they just run continuously). Any thoughts?

Thanks very much!

Thanks, Don! That's helpful. So basically, if my songs run 12 minutes then I need to add 18 minutes of animated sequence to run, so that my next show starts at the 30 minute mark. Is that right? In other words, there's no way to build a show in HUB that plays at 6pm then stops, then build a show in Show Editor that also plays and stops. I'd have to build the second show with 18 minutes of filler? Thanks again...

Leave the word HUB out of it for a moment.

In the Show Editor create a show that your songs and animation sequence(s). The animation sequences can be (and should be) LONGER than you need them to be. Why? The software will stop an animation sequence at the end of a show. (It will let a musical sequence play out.)

Then in the Schedule Editor, schedule that show to run, from 600-630.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for the other shows. If you want to use the same show at 700-730 and 930-1000, you would just schedule that show during that time.

(But yes, you have the concept down.)

I'm going to give my standard reply to people who want their show to play some songs and then stop and after a while, pay some more songs.  Unless you have a very specific reason to do it that way - DON'T!  Here is why.  As you said moments ago, your four songs lasts 12 minutes, and then 18 minutes of either animation or static.  That means that 60% of the time, your show is not running and people who arrive during that time will see a non-show, and they will keep on driving.  And they won't come back.

Just now, k6ccc said:

And they won't come back.

I'm going to have to start giving my reply.

"Maybe they don't want them to come back!" :)

Haha! Both good answers. I doubt my meager efforts will warrant too many return visits from strangers anyway :-)

The majority of people who are stopping by are friends and family (and they come just about every night), so I'd like them to see a few different shows to keep it fresh depending on what time they show up. I've got a sign that says the shows run every 30 minutes, and I've been having the lights turn off in between shows. Your point is taken though, about the fact that my lights will be off for a large portion of the night. I'll have to re-think what I want my lights to do in between the shows.

Many thanks, all!

I've got 6 separate shows (A early / A main, B early / B main, C early/C Main) exactly for this reason.  The early shows run from 5 to 7 and the main shows run from 7 to 10.  Each show has different music (with some overlap between early/main and A/B/C).  Music in the early shows is also geared slightly more towards children.  A shows run on Mon & Thurs, B shows run Tues, Fri & Sun, and C shows run Wed and Sat.  It's all setup in the scheduler to run constantly between 5 and 10.  I've also got announcement breaks about every 10 ~ 12 minutes in the shows as well.  That gives a nice break between sets of musical sequences.

Next year I'm thinking about adding like 2 min of static displays with an announcement that families can use the time to take pics, selfies, family pics. etc..

Edited by jfuller8400

2 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

Next year I'm thinking about adding like 2 min of static displays with an announcement that families can use the time to take pics, selfies, family pics. etc..

That is one of the specific reasons to have a static, but it does not need to last very long, and I would HIGHLY recommend that during the static section for photos that there be a voiceover that announces something like: "For the next one minute, the lights will all be on so that you may take photos of all the lights".  Then continue with something like: "The light show will resume in 40 seconds...  The light show will resume in 30 seconds...  The light show will resume in 20 seconds...  The light show will resume in 10 seconds...  And now, back to the light show".  As part of your show opening announcement, you could also include something like: "After Jingle Bells, the lights will all be turned on for one minute so that you may take photos of the lights".  That way, people know it's coming so they are ready for it.

Great tips! Thanks, all. I tried to build a show that would play once at 6, and then have 15 minutes of filler with animated lights before the next show starting at 6:30. I downloaded the animated lights from LOR, and added them to the show. Somehow, the musical sequences are just running continuously. Did I do something wrong? Thanks again!

Was this animation sequence in the musical tab? (it should be)

Was the animation sequence longer than 15 minutes? (Needs to be in order to fill the time.)

Ah! Put the animation sequence in the musical tab. Nope - had it in the animation tab. I’ll try that. And then for the shutdown show, I put my show in the musical tab with the animation sequence after it, but then also put an animation in the shutdown tab? I’m not understanding why that’s different than just ending the show at a specific time in the schedule editor...

Whatever is in the musical tab will repeat until the end of time, or until the scheduled end of the show. By putting an animation sequence (or more) that is LONGER than you really need, at the end of your musical sequence the musical sequences won't get a chance to play again. (Also, random tidbit, the musical and animation tabs play at the same time.)

The software will STOP an animation sequence at the end of a show. It will KEEP PLAYING a musical sequence THEN move to the next show (or shutdown, whatever is next.)

The Shutdown tab plays at the END of a scheduled show. If you put a 2 hour animation sequence at the end of your show, it's going to run from 630 - 830, then do what is scheduled next. Skip the Shutdown tab for this show, you don't need it for this specific use case.

Ok thanks - that’s a big help! Just to clarify, if I want a 4-song show to play at 8pm as my finale, and then for the lights to go out for the night, do I use the shutdown sequence? Or is there a static-off sequence I would use until the end of the time of the schedule? 

What's your definition of the 8pm show? 4 songs then animation? Or 4 songs then done for the night?

Remember, the Shutdown Seq will only play at the end of the scheduled time. If you want 4 songs then off, you are going to have to time your show to a length that ends it in the middle of the 4th song. LOR would finish the song, run the Shutdown Seq.

The only thing I've used the shutdown seq for (in 15 years, personal and business displays) is a short, half a second all off sequence to make 100% sure the lights are going to be out. They should go off when the show ends, but sometime technology has other plans. What are you wanting to use the shutdown seq for?

Ah - ok. I just thought shutdown was how you turn off lights right after music at a certain time. I’m in a pretty kid-friendly little neighborhood, so I want my last 4-song show to start at 8 and then all lights off.

If I’m reading you correctly, I would make the 8pm show in the scheduler run from 8-8:11 (assuming a 12 minute show), and then all the lights will turn off after the last song. Does that sound right?

thanks again!

18 hours ago, Don said:

The only thing I've used the shutdown seq for (in 15 years, personal and business displays) is a short, half a second all off sequence to make 100% sure the lights are going to be out. They should go off when the show ends, but sometime technology has other plans. What are you wanting to use the shutdown seq for?

I use the shutdown sequence to play an announcement that says: "The show is finished for tonight. Come back tomorrow at 5:30 to see it play again."

I also have a few channels (like the "Tune Radio to..." sign) that I want on for the entire show, but I want to flash on my "Christmas Dance Party" sequences. I do this by setting the show to leave channels on at the end of sequences, so the radio sign stays on while the next sequence is loaded. Because of this, like you, my shutdown sequence has to turn it off.

It also runs a Windows command that sends a home automation signal to turn the outdoor security lights back on.

• The topic was locked