Light-O-Rama Forums

Lost the controller

Calhoun lights

Three times this season the scheduled program started and not all hardware was found.  I’m running just one 16 channel LOR and one DMX controller from a laptop. The DMX controller starts every time it’s told to, but these three times the program was running but the LOR controller wasn’t working. All I do the shut down the scheduled program, run the hardware utility. It finds the LOR controller, I close the hardware utility and enable the schedule and everything is fine. Any idea why the controller gets lost. Nothing has changed since we started this season. Thanks 

A few things come to mind.

Intermittent connection to the LOR controller. Cable or jack is loose or has bent pins. Try, one thing at a time, the other jack and maybe swap a new cable in. Make sure your Cat 5 cables have strain relief, so they don't put any stress on the jacks,

Do you power off every night. My stuff stays on 24/7.

Is anything changing on the laptop from day to day. Windows updates, sleep or hibernating, tasks running in the background etc.

Thanks Phil, it stays powered up 24/7, I will check the cat 5 cable out. But you probably solved the problem, I forgot the disable any updates and the computer is connected to the internet. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Bob

There's a device manager setting too that you should check. Its for the usb ports that disable automatically to conserve power. I'd be checking that and do not allow it to disable itself.

Make sure your computer is not going to sleep. Had my show not come on a few times this season. I would shut down the scheduler and restart and everything would work as it should. I had some work done on my computer and unbeknown to me, the sleep was set on. I turned it to never and it is doing fine. Just wanted to throw that out there.