Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad Lip Reading - Seagulls (Stop It Now) Short Version

crobs808

Hi everyone, newbie here, just finished my first 16-channel sequence from scratch. It was a pain, and it is not pretty (just ON/OFF commands since I only have old-school Christmas lights for now), but I wanted to share it for anyone wanting to use it this holiday season. I am still waiting for my hardware to arrive, so I have only tested this with the software preview.

• TITLE: Bad Lip Reading - Seagulls (Stop It Now) Short Version
  • AUTHOR: Connor Roberts
  • DOWNLOAD: Google Drive LINK
    • (File format is .loredit, not LMS, so you may need software version S5, or higher, to use it)

YouTube Preview Demo:

Even with old style Christmas lights {presuming incandescent bulbs}, you can still use Fade, Twinkle, Shimmer and change intensity effects with the light strand.   So you shouldn't be limited to just on/off commands.

• Like 1

One day I saw this big log, and under it was a stick and I thought "This log had a child!"..haha  Not exactly how he says it but if anyone hasn't seen that video, you got to watch it!  So good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orville said:

Even with old style Christmas lights {presuming incandescent bulbs}, you can still use Fade, Twinkle, Shimmer and change intensity effects with the light strand.   So you shouldn't be limited to just on/off commands.

Cool, I didn't know they could handle that from a power/capability perspective. Wouldn't that make the show look muddy though? A lot of the talking pieces are very quick and close together, so isn't hard ON/OFF the best or what would you recommend (FYI - Yoda's speech is represented by the flashing the green bushes in case it wasn't obvious) 

You will find that as you progress into sequencing, that just on/off commands will look "blinky". Fades give a much smoother look. Fades are only hard on equipment like motors, and lights with transformers or wall warts. You will occasionally find AC lights which don't fade at all.

i rarely find an on command that shouldn't be a fade.

I converted everything to fade, and it looks no different. Only one or two of my 16 channels have lights that can actually fade unfortunately. Bummer, I thought most new LEDs would fade so I bought a bunch. Can you all recommend a specific known brand of LED lights that is best for this kind of stuff?

On 12/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, crobs808 said:

I converted everything to fade, and it looks no different. Only one or two of my 16 channels have lights that can actually fade unfortunately. Bummer, I thought most new LEDs would fade so I bought a bunch. Can you all recommend a specific known brand of LED lights that is best for this kind of stuff?

I've used LED lights from Lowes, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, Big Lots, Target, {Sears and K-Mart when they were still around in my area}, At-Home/Garden Ridge all with great success.      However, always avoid Martha Stewart brand LED strands, they have a very bad reputation for catching fire when using effects like a fade on them.

Also, on those LED strands that don;t fade, try rotating the plug in that channel 180 degrees, essentially just pulling it out and flipping it over.  I've had a few LED strands that wouldn't fade, shimmer or do any effects until I flipped the plug 180 degrees.   So you might try that and test it out, if it works, you're good to go.  If not, then those strands should only be used with OFF/ON commands only, as there is something about them that they aren't capable of dimming or using any of the effects the controller can send.

Just Avoid any strand that does any 'effect'  without LOR's input. Those usually have electronics in a large bulge or the plug module,

A simple (stacking) plug with 2 fuses (most common) is usually what you want. Note the plugs are NOT Polarized (no wide prong)

• The topic was locked