Light-O-Rama Forums

Gremlins Are Back

Little_b

We started the show on 11/28 and for the first time that I can remember, there haven't been any issues.  Timing was on, all the lights were working, wind has broken anything. I kept knocking on wood everyday knowing how lucky I was.  Last night the Gremlins came swooping in.  My USB splitter went dead. So none of my LOR networks were working.  Luckily the show was only on it's 3 loop when I discovered the problem.  I have 3 LOR networks and luckily, (knock on wood), my new laptop has 3 USB ports.  Hooked them in directly, and show was up and running.  Later that night I discovered part of my Top Roof outline of Pixels weren't working.  Went up to see the problem today, and ended up having to replace a pixel.  Now they are working fine.  Wife came home after the show ended last night, I had gone to bed, and this morning she asked why some of the lights were still on.  I forgot to put the Blank sequence back into the show to make sure they all turn off at the end of the night.  Tested this afternoon and everything was working fine.  Crossing my fingers things go good tonight, and every night.  If someone else could take these Gremlins off my hands, that would be great.  Thanks.

We all have our exciting times.

I did have one prop a couple weeks ago, and I am serious, the thought crossed my mind many times to drag it out and execute it with my shotgun. No joke there.

It is great when everything comes together and runs the way we plan it but it only takes a little something to trigger a mess.

JR

41 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I did have one prop a couple weeks ago, and I am serious, the thought crossed my mind many times to drag it out and execute it with my shotgun.

Not Christmas related, but many years ago I was troubleshooting an intermittent phone problem at work.  Finally found a line card that was the cause.  Took that card out next time I went shooting and put a whole bunch of birdshot through it.  Really satisfying!

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Not Christmas related, but many years ago I was troubleshooting an intermittent phone problem at work.  Finally found a line card that was the cause.  Took that card out next time I went shooting and put a whole bunch of birdshot through it.  Really satisfying!

I've done that a few times with an assortment of electronic device{just not with bird-shot}; computers, TV's, add-in cards that started refusing to work, old AM/FM radio equipment {car and home units}, CB radios, record players, old scratched up records, 8 tracks and cassettes {remember those?}.  Even tok out an old Ford that quit running and blasted that sucker full of holes.   Didn't use bird-shot on this stuff, used .22 handgun and rifle and my uncle used a sawed off shotgun and really blasted a lot of this stuff to oblivion.   Sure was a lot of fun back then.   Nowhere to really do that kind of thing now, at least not in my area, all our old hunting/stomping grounds have been converted to tourist trap areas, shopping centers, subdivisions, etc., etc.

Sure miss being able to do that though.  Very gratifying when you could just blow this stuff away for fun way out in the boonies.

Yeah my Gremlins hit me Tuesday night the Thieving kind stole a penquin i've had for about 10 years the reason i liked him was because it had this angry looking face. I'm gonna miss him😂

Edited by Godney
misplaced word

Many eons ago, in the USAF, working on a flightline, there was this single computer that belonged in a jet fighter. No matter how many times we checked it and fixed it, it never worked. We replaced everything inside and even the case itself leaving only the metal ID tag that had not been replaced. Even I went through it with a fine-toothed comb and extreme detailed diagnostics and found nothing. One of my co-workers went to reinstall it into the designated aircraft when it had a accident and fell off the side of the aircraft. I was told it hit hard and the small cards inside, went flying. That computer was sent "away" and never to be seen again....problem solved. Now I didn't condone that action or its slip and it had nothing to do with me. I never did find out if its slip was less of an accident or a real accident but guess I'm thankful I didn't find out. I'm the type that would have to report it, after all, it belonged to the people of the U.S. and it wasn't cheap. At least it didn't suffer a shotgun blast!

2 minutes ago, dgrant said:

At least it didn't suffer a shotgun blast!

A10  chaingun would have been appropriate.

I think that anyone who works with electronics for a long time, has one of these stories.

We (the design group) collected all the prototypes of a cancelled 2 year project and had a Bonfire (started by a Flame Thrower borrowed from the local college) in the parking lot.

(We were SAFE. there were 4 of us with large fire extinguishers standing by). Boy was that satisfying😀

Edited by TheDucks

• The topic was locked