Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PCG3 and Vixen

KingJsse2

Hey Everyone!

I'm new here and was hoping you all can help me.  I bought a huge amount of stuff from someone who was getting out of decorating with lights.  I received several different types of controllers, including a LOR CTB16PCG3 and a USB485B adapter.

I have been using Vixen for several years to control various pixels and controllers, and would like to continue using the software.  How can I physically set up the LOR controller and get it set up on my computer?  I tried connecting Computer -> USB cable -> USB adapter -> Cat5 cable (Normal, not crossover) -> CTB16PC.  But when I tried to use the Light-O-Rama 5.5.16 Demo Hardware application to set it up, the controller wasn't even recognized.  (I installed all the drivers, went into device manager to see the COM number, and put that in to the application).  Still I don't see anything.

I have seen some people say I need to use a crossover cable, and I tried that, and still nothing worked.  So I have two main questions:

a) How do I get the computer to even recognize the controller?

b) How do I get Vixen to connect to the controller? (I've heard I could use DMX, but don't really know how to do that: would I need a DMX adapter?)

Thanks everyone!

Presumably the rest of your non-pixel controllers (if you have any) are DMX.  The CTB16 will respond to DMX commands just as easily as it will to LOR commands.  If you are using pixel controllers, MOST E1.31 controllers can output DMX.  Depending on your E1.31 controller will dictate if you need a crossover cable or not.

A little detail on what hardware you currently are running.  That may mane it far easier to give you specific answers.

28 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Presumably the rest of your non-pixel controllers (if you have any) are DMX.  The CTB16 will respond to DMX commands just as easily as it will to LOR commands.  If you are using pixel controllers, MOST E1.31 controllers can output DMX.  Depending on your E1.31 controller will dictate if you need a crossover cable or not.

A little detail on what hardware you currently are running.  That may mane it far easier to give you specific answers.

I am running mostly pixels using sACN (E1.31) in Vixen.  The non-pixels I used to run using a Renard controller, so I have absolutely no experience with DMX.

The controllers I am using right now are 4 AlphaPix controllers and 1 Falcon F16V3.

Edited by KingJsse2

I have no experience with Vixen or Renard, but I am pretty sure that the AlphaPix controller will output DMX, and I absolutely know that the Falcon F16v3 will (I have four Falcon controllers).  Short version is that you set up a Universe in the Falcon to output as a DMX serial connection on one of the black RJ-45 connectors.  Connect that output to the LOR controller with a straight through Cat-5 cable.  Assign the channels in Vixen.  Read the section of the Falcon manual for Serial outputs for more details on setup.