Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproof Plug Ends?

RickMosher

you should water can get in any where, it will protect it in case if it falls in a puddle or snow builds up on it. it could short or maby it wont short but it is better to be safe than sorry i just use regular electrial tape when i weather proof it

good evening i am by far no expert, but if you think about it when you have any other lights plug in out side which are marked indoor/outdoor use there is no protection (weather proofing) on them. i wouldn't suggest messing with them when wet though, but i have used outside lights with no problem plugged into extension cords and also several plugged piggy back like you suggested with no issues. even after or during rain, usually if you plug them into your outside outlet on the house to power them it is generally a GFI circut which would help protect things.

just my thoughts.

water will still find its way in...waterproofing them yourself will only make it harder for the water to find its way out...i didnt waterproof anything last year and had no problems (with over 1500' homemade cords too, no problems) just leave them be

This topic has been discussed over and over in regards to connections to extension cords. All have had valid points. I personally do not wrap any of my connections. I make sure everything is plugged in tight. If you seal your connections and some moisture does get in, more than likely it will be trapped. Except in some areas, it does not get warm enough to evaporate the moisture.

I just make sure that connections are not laying in water and/or portected from pouring water like off the roof.

Chuck

Depends. Hows that for an answer?

If your power is supplied via GFCI's, you could have issues. Any lights or connections laying on the ground could cause a breaker trip. Wire frames and mini trees are famous for leaking electricity to ground.

I rarely have a problem with rain/snow and have lights and plugs on the ground. Others seem to trip breakers on the weatherman's prediction of precipitation.

Hey, Rick...

I never do anything extra as far as water-proofing... I've only had a couple of issues when the snow begins to melt... I just look for the offending plug, give it a couple of good raps during the day and its usually good to go at night... biggest thing is to try to position plugs and boxes so that they are a little bit above the ground... of course, when you get those 8-10" snowfalls, not much you can do... the snow doesn't hurt anything... its when it starts to melt that thing might happen... just trips the GFCI...

Dan

I cover all my open plugs with those child safety covers for outlets like the one in the pic. Other then that I really don't weatherproof anything like others. I just plan ahead and lay things out so they won't be in the elements as much. Other then my weatherproof boxes for my controllers pretty much everything is as is. When I build my ext cords I take extra care to make sure their is not going to have any problems. Everything I have up to this point is on GFCI so I have that extra protection. It is is or has been raining whether I have a static or animated display it usually goes dark until the rain has gone away and the conditions have been dry for a few hours. I have the protection of the GFCI but would rather not battle having one trip all night, and two, having butthead vandals get popped by something that didn't trip. In the end you are the one that is responsible even though they were trying to vandalize things. So I don't even mess with it and just turn it off during rain, ice, snow. Also for the safety of guests because I live on a pretty busy resdiental street as well.

936005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...