Light-O-Rama Forums

Upgrading mini director - how to connect FM transmitter to the bigger director?

Indigo

I'm upgrading the mini director so I can run multiple networks, and need to transfer the FM transmitter from the old director to the new one.  How do I wire it?  I can't find a guide anywhere. Thanks.

Isn't it as simple as unplugging (similar to what ear buds have) the audio cable from the old and plugging it into the new?

Ok. I found an independent usb power connector that came with it, so it is now working.  Does anyone know how these things were mounted in the box?  I'd like to remove the old director physically from the waterproof box but it's like it's welded in there!

I notice the length of the antenna your using on that Whole House FM Transmitter.  Realize that for the US, using that length of antenna might be pushing your signal strength beyond what is legal by the FCC.  That particular transmitter comes with an "International Kit" which is that longer antenna and the instructions say to not use it in the United States. 

Now that I've said that, I want to know how far that signal reaches. haha!  I'm not against it, I just don't want anyone to get in trouble for something I think is small.

So that is the same configuration I used to have.  When I upgraded to my G3-MP3 director, I simply used velcro tape and mounted it right on top of the old mini director.  I will check when I get home the actual wiring I ended up with and post my findings here.  I do power my FM transmitter using it's own power supply (see my note in another forum page about adding clip-on ferrite magnets).

Your antenna is the same one I use, unwrapped and mostly outside the box.  My range is maybe 300+ feet.

I looked at my setup, and sure enough I replaced the power cable from the old mini-director to the transmitter with a small 5V power supply with a USB connector, which after re-reading the thread above you already figured out.  :)

• The topic was locked