Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR FM Transmitter

radtech85

Does anyone know if the LOR FM transmitter comes with an antenna. I was going to purchase one on the LOR website, but none of the pictures show that it comes with an antenna. I found the exact same one on Amazon, and the picture there shows that it comes with an antenna. Thank you!

Yes, it has a little short wire antenna.

Unless you are going to put the Whole Room Transmitter right next to where people will be listening, recommend that you do not use that one.  The range is terrible.

Do a search on Amazon for CZE-05b.  Lots of choices.  Pick one that best meets your needs.  You will be MUCH happier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Unless you are going to put the Whole Room Transmitter right next to where people will be listening, recommend that you do not use that one.  The range is terrible.

Do a search on Amazon for CZE-05b.  Lots of choices.  Pick one that best meets your needs.  You will be MUCH happier.

Thats the transmitter I purchased in 2015 and it's been great going on its 5th season. 

Keith

• 2 months later...

I bought this one in 2014 on Amazon. Still working Signstek ST-05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna

I use a Rangestar 05B and I used to have a dipole antenna that went somewhere into the sky during our hurricane I was forced toe buy a Rangestar antenna and worked really great again for Christmas.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I still use the LOR whole house transmitter I bought back in 2014.  At that time it came with, I am guessing here, a 10' wire antenna that I have always used.  It gives me about a 100 yard range.  This year I put ferrite cores/magnets on any wire entering that box and those really cleared up my signal so I am now no longer broadcasting noise/hum from the other controllers.  I have my G3-MP3 Director in the same box as the transmitter.  Nobody ever complained, but I noticed (we all tend to be our own worst critic).

On 12/5/2020 at 2:25 PM, k6ccc said:

I personally have used the cze,,,,

I would not recommend this. yes it’s a good price and works fine if it is set right. I used it for 2019, the church used it for a bit. It started to get crackly...... the Rangestar that JR is talking about is what I have now, and I would HIGHLY recommend it. I used it this past year. It costs more. But you and everyone else listening to it will be a lot happier with it.... it’s the same wattage, but there it is apparently made better.... it is CRYSTAL. no matter what radio is playing it. 0 static ever..... save the money and get the rangestar. IMO..... everyone has their preferences . But I’ve had both. 

More curious than anything but does anyone still use the EDM transmitter for shows?

I still have my LCD (without RDS) that I started with back in 2008 and it is running great.  Looks like it is around the same price as the Rangestar one (just looked quick so maybe not the one JR is using) and wanted to give my 2 cents on things.

I used it the first year with just a homemade antenna but when I bought a good diploe antenna, it made things amazing for a long ways out.  I could get clear signal out over 1/2 mile on the lowest setting.  I see that a lot of folks use the little FM board that came from AliExpress and wonder how that unit is holding up as well?

Let's be careful about some of the suggestions that have come out of this thread.  When you look at this link:

https://sourcefmtransmitter.com/shop/failsafe-rangestar-fm-transmitter/

You will see that the Rangestar 05B is not approved by the FCC.  I don't know the law but that's enough information for me to know that the reason it works really well might be because it's range is no approved.

Just be careful.

I have been running my EDM LCD RDS for 11 seasons. No issues and covers about a block. I keep it in my basement next to my LOR PC  and have a coax running to a whip antenna in the attic.

12 minutes ago, BluMan said:

You will see that the Rangestar 05B is not approved by the FCC.  I don't know the law but that's enough information for me to know that the reason it works really well might be because it's range is no approved.

I personally called the FCC. told me as long as it was under 2W I would be fine... I also asked what was a safe station in my area and they just told me to search for unused ones. 

This rangestar only reaches about a 1/3 of a mile clearly. I can still hear interference to about 3/4 of a mile. 

Anyone correct me if you like.

But I called them to make sure.

rangestar all the way.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BluMan said:

Let's be careful about some of the suggestions that have come out of this thread.  When you look at this link:

https://sourcefmtransmitter.com/shop/failsafe-rangestar-fm-transmitter/

Just be careful.

Actually, before posting in cases such as these you should do a little research.

I have an FCC license to run radar and am very familiar with how to search such topics in the FCC database.

The Rangestar Transmitter is in the FCC approval list.

Here is the link to the page including the FCC ID and series information including the full model #

The previously link does not work. If you follow the below and in the purple box put your device FCC Grantee ID you can find out if your particular transmitter is approved. The CZE-05B has been approved since 2019

Follow the link and put the FCC ID 2ASVO in the top box. Press enter and you will see it and the other Rangestar devices.

https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I personally called the FCC. told me as long as it was under 2W I would be fine... I also asked what was a safe station in my area and they just told me to search for unused ones. 

This rangestar only reaches about a 1/3 of a mile clearly. I can still hear interference to about 3/4 of a mile. 

rangestar all the way.

No need to call, their database is fairly easy to use once you understand the how the fcc code is incorporated on product labels

No matter what anyone in the phone tells you, if it’s not in the fcc database tread carefully.

Edited by dibblejr

I see my links above are erroring out however if you go to the FCC FM transmitter FCC ID Lookup and type in the first 5 characters of the FCC ID 2ASVO you will find the Rangestar CZE-05B product code in the last block in the right

You only need to fill out the top box to find it. That is the MFG authorization. That will cover that MFG authorizations.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

rangestar all the way.

A very good resource to see where the stations you might need to miss. Look at the 'Polar' for direction and the longer bars. Those you want to miss. Anything over 60db down will not probably be receivable anyway.

A more directional signal on your part (not a whip or dipole) will also help get your sig where YOU want it. TUNE your antenna for your freq.

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 

Click start here, enter your address and antenna height.

• Thanks 1

I tried a couple different tools to determine the "best" frequency to use, only to throw those suggestions out and do it the manual way...Park the car out in front of the house and go through freq-by-freq to find the least powerful one that I could then "override" with my transmitter.  I am in Northern Virginia and at my elevation every frequency has something.

• Like 1

hasslerk is right.  No matter what the on-line help sources say, you need to test any possible frequency at your show location.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

hasslerk is right.  No matter what the on-line help sources say, you need to test any possible frequency at your show location.

2016 and 2017 I was able to use a recommended frequency. However I. 2018 someone got an FCC Low Frequence license and that frequency was no longer very useable. A lot of cross feed. 

And as some of you all I had to find one in my own and that frequency has been available since. I believe since it’s lower that the 89 I will be safe for a while.

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hasslerk said:

I tried a couple different tools to determine the "best" frequency to use, only to throw those suggestions out and do it the manual way...Park the car out in front of the house and go through freq-by-freq to find the least powerful one that I could then "override" with my transmitter.  I am in Northern Virginia and at my elevation every frequency has something.

Exactly what I did. Took some time but no issues.

• Like 1