Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple head scratcher questions

bdwillie

Using 5.5.16 Pro .  Have a few quirks I can't seem to get fixed, so here goes.  High speed enhanced network.  9 Gen 3 AC controllers all at firmware 1.11, 1 Pixie 4 not sure of the firmware.  The only new hardware this year is the Pixie 4, and only using 1 port of the 4, set to unit ID 9.  The AC controllers are 1 through 8 with the 9th one also set at 7 (so I have two set at 7)  1 DMX universe on a separate network, with 5 different DMX controllers.

1:  Having issues on long fades, channel has 300 mini leds, 2 C7 leds, and 6 regular sized 60 watt equivalent led bulbs.  On a long fade, the lights will rapidly flash on and off instead of fade.  quick fades are fine.  Changed to a spare channel on a different controller, same result.  Put some incans on it behind the tree, no change.  Same stuff originally plugged into the same controller with the same sequences as last year and this did not occur last year.  Have double checked to make sure the controller channel is not set to on off only

2:  Have a static sequence, with loop levels, so it can run for 30 minutes.  Everything minus the dumb RGB was set to ramp up and down slowly from 30 percent to 80 percent.  Dumb RGB just slow cross cycled between red and green.  Was having weird periods where entire A/C props would blink off, then back on, like there was a unfilled block in sequencer (if that makes sense), or maybe at a loop mark things might get confused.  Soooo, Made a new animated sequence, with a total length of 30 minutes no loops.  clicked on the first block and filled with 40 percent on,  scrolled to the end of the 30 minutes, clicked the last block at 40 percent on, then used the matching fill option to fill in the entire sequence.  did this for all channels and replace the static sequence in the show.  so tonight when it ran, still does the same thing.  random blink off then on of various props, across all controllers at about a rate of 1 blink per 15 seconds or so.  Just to be clear, not everything at once, but randomly around the yard.  Also to add to the confusion, if a prop uses 6 channels, all 6 of that prop will blink, then approx 15 secs later something randomly somewhere else blinks. This only happens to the 9 AC controllers.  The one pixie 4 I have on the same network cables is rock steady.   As stated, have recreated this sequence from scratch ( actually several times) with the same result, using loops and without.  Have tested all cat 5 cables (twice now), the DMX universe doesn't seem to be affected.

The main show itself doesn't seem to be affected by problem 2, but is with problem 1.  Could this be a data line terminator issue?  I don't have a terminator at the end of the line, and have never needed one in all the years we have been doing this.  Longest Cat 5 run is 100 foot. Boxes hooked in order of AC7 - AC6 - AC5 - AC8 - AC4 - AC3 - AC7 (the second one) - Pixie 4 - AC2 - AC1.

Could the 1: Fade problem be a firmware issue with the newer 1.11 firmware?  The A/C boxes were all at 1.09 last year except 1 that was already 1.11.  Bumped them all to 1.11 so they would match.  Sorry for such a long post

UPDATE: I think both problems are solved!

After rechecking all cables again today, made a terminator for the data line and installed it on the last controller in line, no change.  Only difference in last year and this year was the Pixie 4 and updating the firmware on the AC controllers.  Held my breath and rolled back the firmware on all the AC controllers to V1.09 from V1.11.  That seems to have actually done the trick!  Slow fades are back to fading and not flashing, and watched the static sequence tonight from the security cameras and not one random blink during the 1/2 hour of all on @ 40%.  Maybe the download of the V1.11 I has is slightly corrupt or something.  This surprised me that it fixed it.🤔  I'm glad though.  Thought I would come back and let everyone know in case someone else ran into this issue.  Also couldn't find a way to edit my original post.

16 hours ago, bdwillie said:

UPDATE: I think both problems are solved!

After rechecking all cables again today, made a terminator for the data line and installed it on the last controller in line, no change.  Only difference in last year and this year was the Pixie 4 and updating the firmware on the AC controllers.  Held my breath and rolled back the firmware on all the AC controllers to V1.09 from V1.11.  That seems to have actually done the trick!  Slow fades are back to fading and not flashing, and watched the static sequence tonight from the security cameras and not one random blink during the 1/2 hour of all on @ 40%.  Maybe the download of the V1.11 I has is slightly corrupt or something.  This surprised me that it fixed it.🤔  I'm glad though.  Thought I would come back and let everyone know in case someone else ran into this issue.  Also couldn't find a way to edit my original post.

There is a time limit on editing your post on the forums.  I believe it is set to 60 minutes{1 hour}, after that expires, post stays as written.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orville said:

There is a time limit on editing your post on the forums.  I believe it is set to 60 minutes{1 hour}, after that expires, post stays as written.

Thank you sir! good to know!