Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting Two Controllers

erinshaneb

We originally bought the "start up system" with 16 channels and FM transmitter about 5/6 years ago and now want to upgrade to another 16 channels. My husband ordered the extra controller and nothing else. I tried to figure out how to connect them together so I could start sequencing and realized I need one set C1 and one set to C2, which upon further reading I have to hook up to my computer and change one controller to C2. That being said, we don't have that R435 (or whatever) adapter. Do we have to have it? I run the show with an SD card, so I use the sequence editor, then download and pop it out and into the LOR controller. I thought I could just plug the CAT 5 cable from the LOR controller into my computer, but it says it can't see, now I dont' know if I have to have that adapter or I have a bad cable...ugh...any insight would be GREAT !!! TIA 

This isn't ethernet, it's the RS485 protocol. You need an adapter that can speak that language. I'm guessing you have the residential controllers, in the plastic enclosure. Unfortunately, the only way to set the ID for those is with the Hardware Utility and a USB485 adapter. If by some strange chance you have the Pro controller, then you can set the ID via the buttons on the controller.

6 minutes ago, Don said:

This isn't ethernet, it's the RS485 protocol. You need an adapter that can speak that language. I'm guessing you have the residential controllers, in the plastic enclosure. Unfortunately, the only way to set the ID for those is with the Hardware Utility and a USB485 adapter. If by some strange chance you have the Pro controller, then you can set the ID via the buttons on the controller.

Yes that is what we have...ugh...Thank you.. Can I buy locally or an "off brand" or does it have to come from LOR?? And how hard am I allowed to smack my husband for not getting everything we need the first time ?? lol 

Just now, erinshaneb said:

Yes that is what we have...ugh...Thank you.. Can I buy locally or an "off brand" or does it have to come from LOR?? And how hard am I allowed to smack my husband for not getting everything we need the first time ?? lol 

Real quick..one more question..Can I start "sequencing" my shows with 2 controllers while I am waiting for it to get here..I assume I would do C1 and run 1- 16 and C2 17 - 32 ..that way once it's here I can set them up and gooooo?? Thanks again 

Since I don't know the two of you, smack him as hard as ya want. (Though me telling you to do so isn't a defense.) :)

On the very, very, off chance you find a RS485 to USB converter, it would work. I would imagine your chances are somewhat slim though. LOR might be the quickest route.

You can program with zero controllers.

(I do it all the time for customers.)

1 minute ago, Don said:

Since I don't know the two of you, smack him as hard as ya want. (Though me telling you to do so isn't a defense.) :)

On the very, very, off chance you find a RS485 to USB converter, it would work. I would imagine your chances are somewhat slim though. LOR might be the quickest route.

You can program with zero controllers.

(I do it all the time for customers.)

Thank you sooo much !!!! And I won't use your name in court....lol

Just to further explain, you would be programming controller ID 01 channels 1-16 and controller ID 02 channels 1-16. Each controller ID has its own set of channels starting at one.