Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware v3.12.2 Basic Plus

Coach

I have a mDM-MP3 Player that I'm trying to update the Firmware. However when I press to download the status goes to loading and the Activity goes to "Locate Unit" (this never changes). It seems as if it can't find where the MP3 player is hooked up to the computer. As far as I can tell the drivers have been updated. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Older Mini-Director?  Looks to be a pre-Gen3 unit, are you sure you're downloading the correct firmware?

Also when updating firmware. if there is say a version 3.0.2 being the latest, but the earliest version is 2.1.6, and your unit has 2.1.8, you need to update the NEXT firmware revision in sequence, up to and until you finally get to the last version, in my example 3.0.2.  If you tried top update from 2.1.8 straight into the latest firmware, it may hang or lock up your mini director, which will require a reset of the unit, if that is possible.

Anytime I update firmware in ANY of my LOR items, I always go with the next highest revision than what is in my unit, then add each one in turn until I have the newest firmware update in the unit.

Firmware many times just can't jump from an earlier version into the newest one without loading in all the prior firmware updates first.

At least that's been my experience with the LOR firmware updates every time I've installed them.

I did it it both ways. My issue is I can't get my computer to recognize the MP3 or the program isn't finding it. I have tried about 8 different versions also. Nothing will go thru. I would send a pic but it wont let me.

I had this same problem you have to hookup director with a separate power supply the computer does not supply power to the unit that's why you can't find it. It's not coming on

30 minutes ago, Coach said:

I did it it both ways. My issue is I can't get my computer to recognize the MP3 or the program isn't finding it. I have tried about 8 different versions also. Nothing will go thru. I would send a pic but it wont let me.

Are you in the MP3 tab after your Director is connected?      Or are you trying to Search for it by doing a Refresh from the main HU screen? 

If you're trying to do a Refresh from the main HU screen and NOT in the MP3 tab, HU WILL NOT FIND IT!    The Director only shows up in the HU under the MP3 tab, and it will show connected, and the firmware version down near the bottom right hand side of the HU screen.  And it must be powered for this to work.

Trying to find it by any other means or elsewhere except the MP3 tab in the HU is completely pointless.

Edited by Orville

16 hours ago, Orville said:

Are you in the MP3 tab after your Director is connected?      Or are you trying to Search for it by doing a Refresh from the main HU screen? 

If you're trying to do a Refresh from the main HU screen and NOT in the MP3 tab, HU WILL NOT FIND IT!    The Director only shows up in the HU under the MP3 tab, and it will show connected, and the firmware version down near the bottom right hand side of the HU screen.  And it must be powered for this to work.

Trying to find it by any other means or elsewhere except the MP3 tab in the HU is completely pointless.

let me see if I can explain what I have done. I have the MP3 player plugged in with a power cord that is connected to the back (this is how I received it). Then I plug my MP3 into the USB485 then to the computer. I open the LOR Hardware tab and open firmware. once I'm in there I click MP3 Player select a firmware file. My last step is to press download. On the right side of the Firmware there are two boxes one that is label "Status" the other is "Activity". Status will have "Loading" and Activity will have "Locate Unit" and that is where it stays nothing ever happens until I cancel it. So I'm stuck!!!

20 minutes ago, Coach said:

let me see if I can explain what I have done. I have the MP3 player plugged in with a power cord that is connected to the back (this is how I received it). Then I plug my MP3 into the USB485 then to the computer. I open the LOR Hardware tab and open firmware. once I'm in there I click MP3 Player select a firmware file. My last step is to press download. On the right side of the Firmware there are two boxes one that is label "Status" the other is "Activity". Status will have "Loading" and Activity will have "Locate Unit" and that is where it stays nothing ever happens until I cancel it. So I'm stuck!!!

From what I can tell you are in the MP3 tab.  If so, before doing anything with trying to add firmware to the unit, do you see the MP3 Director listed, along with the firmware revision that it currently has installed in it?

How you know if the unit is actually connected, the empty box where it says set time will be populated so you could set the time in the Director.   However, this WILL NOT populate if using a Mini Director, but above the Set Time box is where you'd see "MP3 Connected.  Firmware 1.3.9"  This is what you should be seeing, the fw numbers are just an example for clarity. 

So, if you're updating firmware and your revision was 1.3.9, the next revision could be 1.4.0, or it could even be 1.4.6, and let's say the highest revision is 1.6.3.   Before you can update to 1.6.3, you would need to install each revision before 1.6.3 and start with the revision that is the next highest from what is in your Director unit, and update with each revision until you have the latest revision installed.  

Firmware IS NOT like the LOR Software, this makes an internal hardware change to make things work, so every revision must be added in sequence{numerical order, lowest to highest}, otherwise you can possibly screw up the boot-loader in the unit and have to reset it, then start with the very first revision until the last.  

Going out of sequence or trying to load the last/latest revision, because this may make changes to a PREVIOUS revision before it, can cause some issues.  And sometimes doing these firmware updates out of sequence could create an issue where you'd need to send the Director back to LOR for repair.

At least this has been my experience with updating firmware in my Director and Controllers.  I ALWAYS do this in numerical sequence from the next revision up from what is in my units and one at a time until I finally have the latest and newest revision installed.    Any other way may invite issues and problems you don't want.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

From what I can tell you are in the MP3 tab.  If so, before doing anything with trying to add firmware to the unit, do you see the MP3 Director listed, along with the firmware revision that it currently has installed in it?

How you know if the unit is actually connected, the empty box where it says set time will be populated so you could set the time in the Director.   However, this WILL NOT populate if using a Mini Director, but above the Set Time box is where you'd see "MP3 Connected.  Firmware 1.3.9"  This is what you should be seeing, the fw numbers are just an example for clarity. 

So, if you're updating firmware and your revision was 1.3.9, the next revision could be 1.4.0, or it could even be 1.4.6, and let's say the highest revision is 1.6.3.   Before you can update to 1.6.3, you would need to install each revision before 1.6.3 and start with the revision that is the next highest from what is in your Director unit, and update with each revision until you have the latest revision installed.  

Firmware IS NOT like the LOR Software, this makes an internal hardware change to make things work, so every revision must be added in sequence{numerical order, lowest to highest}, otherwise you can possibly screw up the boot-loader in the unit and have to reset it, then start with the very first revision until the last.  

Going out of sequence or trying to load the last/latest revision, because this may make changes to a PREVIOUS revision before it, can cause some issues.  And sometimes doing these firmware updates out of sequence could create an issue where you'd need to send the Director back to LOR for repair.

At least this has been my experience with updating firmware in my Director and Controllers.  I ALWAYS do this in numerical sequence from the next revision up from what is in my units and one at a time until I finally have the latest and newest revision installed.    Any other way may invite issues and problems you don't want.

I want to send you some pics? I think we are both on the right page. Email me at dwbulldawgs@yahoo.com then I will send you pics

I want to send you some pics? I think we are both on the right page. Email me at dwbulldawgs@yahoo.com then I will send you pics

On 12/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Coach said:

I want to send you some pics? I think we are both on the right page. Email me at dwbulldawgs@yahoo.com then I will send you pics

E-Mail sent.