Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

So its abou 1am and I have come in for a break from doing whatever i am doing outside (i wouldnt call it decorating, I would call it the midlife crisis of decorating, like what am i doing and feeling overwhelmed???) I dismantled my megatree (i obviously am positive about the firefly tree) And with this mess I have I looked at it and sat on the front porch and looked out and said "what have I gotten myself into??? (but a little more colorful)"

So i came in to vent. I think Im done for the night. And after 5 hours outside after work, I have to say it really doesnt look and different.

Not to mention I still have a castle in the front of my house, grrrrrr.

good night ( i did purchase santa and 8 reindeer blowmold, that is exciting)

Is it bad that I also want to do a MEGA leaping arch about 40' wide??? And, im dead serious about it. What thickness do you think the PVC should be? Cause I will be at home depot when it opens in 6 hours!!!

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

i was just hoping someone had the number handy cause i wont get home from work until tomorrow morning.

oh well

i guess you test it with the red, green, and blue on 100%?

I hooked all 4 of mine up and turned them all on white. All 192 channels on 100% the total was less than an amp.

Actually I just went and tested them again because I could not remember exactly. It is .67 amps for all 4 of the on white.

This was tested using a kil o watt.

Just so you know...lol.....I am not at all happy right now!!!! lol

I ran this same test sequence the other day and it ran fine. Now the #9 pixel seems to be sticking!!!!

Thanks alot!!

lol

that scares me. I havent ran anything since you told me to do a 95% to 100% fade to stop the sticking!

Im going to pretend i didnt read that post

OK.... I just ran one of my show sequences. It ran fine!! Now I can probably go to be in a few hours.

BTW....The test sequence I ran is simple chases on and off....not fades.

omg...............what a let down, i waited years for that????

I tried my best to convince myself i needed to sequence it for christmas, but it just sucks (at least it doesnt do it for me)

Paul Roberson wrote:

Duke wrote:
thebaronn wrote:
Hey Paul!

So you have any video of the "top" mounted arches? (at night)

I like that idea and it looks cleaner (no crinkling of the wire around the arch)

I may have to change real quick, thats what is awesome about this stuff, easy to cut zip ties!! Hope I dont cut wires! LOL

I have 4 of these running now. I front mounted them but with a twist.... literally.

These are longer than 10 foot. My PVC is 10 foot exactly so.......
I mounted the 1st pixel about 6" from the end and used 1 zip tie on each side of it.
I then wrapped the wire around the 1" thinwall PVC, 1 turn. Repeat this until all the pixels are on and facing the same direction. Use a zip tie on each side of the last pixel as well for a total of 4 zip ties and NO crinkly wire because it is spirally wrapped around the pole. If you want them to point up, simply rotate the entire pole and viola!. Want them to point forward, rotate the pole 90 degrees and they face out. AND you do not need to add any length to the pole because the spiral wrap shortens the spacing to about 7.2 inches from 8. :)

Cool idea. Was there any problem with the wire tightening or loosening when you made the pipe in to an arch?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Been busy setting everything up.

The wire doesn't loosen much if at all due to wrapping it in a spiral fashion around the tubing. It is more forgiving and you can align the pixel's if need be. If I rotate the tubing 90 degrees I get top mounted pixels as well if I want and there is no need to add the 10" extensions as you did. My first arch initially only used 4 zip ties total. One on each side of the starting and ending pixels. Once I had my arch in place on my "test stand" (a 2 X 4 with a 1/2" diameter by 12" long piece of rebar 6 feet apart) I aligned the pixels to all be facing outward and added zipties as required. (not many at all) I then rotated the tubing while on the stand by grasping it firmly along the top of the arch and giving it a twist and Viola! all the pixels were pointing up! No saggy or buckled wiring either. Now if I could just resolve my sticky pixels I'll be a happy camper. Tried the 95 to 100% fade with no luck. All the controllers have V 1.3 for firmaware. I've removed them from power and plugged them back in right away and THERE STILL ON!!!!! Only after leaving them unplugged for a minute or so would they then go off. Now what?