Light-O-Rama Forums

Stuck again- Unit ID problem?

Steve28

How many of you feel like Chevy Chase in Christmas vacation?  Everything looks good, I go to fire it up, and nothing happens.  I think I'm crossed up somewhere with the unit IDs.  When I insert my RGB tree into my preview I get this-

image.png.839b4ffa17e5d1a7df13f4b845bc505b.png

There aren't really two of them I just made it happen for the picture.  When it says the start channel is Unit ID 11, does that mean that I need to use the hardware utility to set the first RGB unit ID to 11?

I did change the unit ID to 11 and I am able to turn the lights on in various colors using the test in the hardware utility.  I'm trying to run my show through my computer to prove that it works but so far it doesn't.  Everything looks like it is playing correctly in the preview.  I did have to change the network to enhanced, so at least that part is fixed.  I feel like I'm still missing something.

If it was a sequence problem would it still play correctly?

2 hours ago, Steve28 said:

How many of you feel like Chevy Chase in Christmas vacation?  Everything looks good, I go to fire it up, and nothing happens.  I think I'm crossed up somewhere with the unit IDs.  When I insert my RGB tree into my preview I get this-

There aren't really two of them I just made it happen for the picture.  When it says the start channel is Unit ID 11, does that mean that I need to use the hardware utility to set the first RGB unit ID to 11?

I did change the unit ID to 11 and I am able to turn the lights on in various colors using the test in the hardware utility.  I'm trying to run my show through my computer to prove that it works but so far it doesn't.  Everything looks like it is playing correctly in the preview.  I did have to change the network to enhanced, so at least that part is fixed.  I feel like I'm still missing something.

If this is a pixie controller and your (...) is correct and you manually built the controller in to the sequence, it is incorrect.

Let the software add the controller.

THe pixie does not use your standard numbering order. they use hexadecimal. 1-9 and then 0(or the number in your series) with A-F and then back to the 10's.

Yes use the HU and set the controller unit ID however if you haven't done it - turn off all dip switches first.

JR

2 hours ago, Steve28 said:

If this is a pixie controller and your (...) is correct and you manually built the controller in to the sequence, it is incorrect.

Let the software add the controller.

THe pixie does not use your standard numbering order. they use hexadecimal. 1-9 and then 0(or the number in your series) with A-F and then back to the 10's.

Yes use the HU and set the controller unit ID however if you haven't done it - turn off all dip switches first.

JR

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step - LOR Hardware - General - Light-O-Rama Forums

• Thanks 1

Its a pixie 8 controller.  I have two of them chained together. Thanks for the link it looks like I have some work to do.

I watched the full video using the S4 software.  How well does this transfer to S5?  I can build the sequence from scratch in S5. I'm also familiar with S4 and I'm starting to wonder if a downgrade would be a good idea. 

I will build the show as I go but I don't fully understand how I'm letting the software add the controller.  I thought I did that the first time.  When it defaults to LOR unit ID 11, I assume this means that this is what I should set it to in the hardware utility.  Is this correct?

The string summary does show different numbers.

image.png.e2ee6c4767773c2bb22645d74049a870.png

14 hours ago, Steve28 said:

Problem solved.  It was the dip switches.  It wasn't letting me change the unit ID.  That video saved me.

Thats ALWAYS the first thing I recommend anyone with apixie controller do, very first step in my video, "turn off all dip switches"

Glad it helped you

JR