Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing from RGB channel to multi-channel light string

Steven

For reasons that in retrospect were a mistake. I made my super strings, which have a red, blue, and green LED string, as RGB strings in the sequence editor. This lets them be one line where I can see each string, but it also combines them RGB style which isn't what they actually look like, because they are really separate strings.

So when I converted to S5, I made them multi-channel light strings, which more represents reality.

The trouble is that when I import the S4 sequence with RGB into the S5 sequence, it seems to get confused, and doesn't convert the events even though the channels match. The import dialog also shows multiple RGB channels being imported to the same fixture even though there is only 1 RGB channel per fixture in the S4 sequence.

The result is that the RGB channels end up as archived channels, which I have to open, select row, copy, and paste to the new multi-channel fixture.

Is this a bug, or something I'm doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I found a solution. It appears that importing from an S4 RGB channel to a S5 multi-channel string just doesn't work. The solution is to do it in 2 steps:

First, I created a copy of my Preview in which I changed the multi-channel RGBW strings to a dumb RGB string + a white string.

Then I used this "Old Christmas" preview to convert the S4 sequence.

Finally, I changed the preview to the "Christmas" preview, and the channels got migrated correctly.

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

I found a solution. It appears that importing from an S4 RGB channel to a S5 multi-channel string just doesn't work. The solution is to do it in 2 steps:

First, I created a copy of my Preview in which I changed the multi-channel RGBW strings to a dumb RGB string + a white string.

Then I used this "Old Christmas" preview to convert the S4 sequence.

Finally, I changed the preview to the "Christmas" preview, and the channels got migrated correctly.

Its much simpler.

Take the S4 sequence to S5. Open the RGB channels and copy the "red " row over to the normal string channel.

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Take the S4 sequence to S5. Open the RGB channels and copy the "red " row over to the normal string channel.

That's how I was doing it, but since I have over a dozen of these, that was a lot of copy and pasting. My new way seems to migrate all the channels at the same time.