Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP: PixCon 16: Not working this year

Paul Masterson

Hi all, hoping folks can help as I am now in a bind for the start of the Christmas show.

This is my second year using a PixCon 16 in my show. After putting everything up and expecting "it to work as it did last year", the "ain't that easy" gremlin bit. No PixCon 16 or other devices attached after it. I have gone back and tried all of the troubleshooting steps and reconfigurations, bit to no good. I reset the box, ensured all jumpers are on the LOR side, and reconfigured it to:

• Port 3, 57.6k, enhanced
  • J3/J4 option checked off
  • WS2811/12, high speed, simple config, starting ID 40, nodes per port 50,order=GBR

Running test modes from network preferences connected to the ethernet port work perfect, colors match.

Connecting from my LOR show computer through a USB485B port direct to port1 on the PicCon 16 has nothing found when I look for it in Hardware utility. I've disconnected from it and gone direct to my CTB16PC and it is found on Port 3 no problem. I've even gone as far as to create a new sequence, PixCon on port 40 and nothing else, and no lights.

Thoughts? Is it possible that my two year old box all of a sudden has bad in/out ports? I would hope not since it is very unused and yet I can not think of what else I may be missing,

Someone Pixcon experienced will need to really help... BUT

what leapt out to me   57.6K  <<<<

Smart RGB (pixels) needs SPEED.  500K or 1000K  (and a Red HS adapter) or run on E1.31  from a network Switch and connects to a DIFFERENT jack on the Pixcon (the shielded one)

DO NOT plug the CAT5 cables into jacks for LOR (RS485) if the other end is Ethernet Magic Smoke can escape

• Like 1

I don't have a Pic on 16, but as I understand it

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Someone Pixcon experienced will need to really help... BUT

what leapt out to me   57.6K  <<<<

Smart RGB (pixels) needs SPEED.  500K or 1000K  (and a Red HS adapter) or run on E1.31  from a network Switch and connects to a DIFFERENT jack on the Pixcon (the shielded one)

DO NOT plug the CAT5 cables into jacks for LOR (RS485) if the other end is Ethernet Magic Smoke can escape

I don't have a Pixcon16, but as I understand it, the hardware utility will not see it.

Second, as the Ducks said, 56k speed is really slow for pixels.  That will be good for a total of about 500 channels or a little over 150 pixels.  With that said, according to the LOR network speed page, the Pixcon16 requires at least a 500k connection.

• 2 weeks later...

500k was the issue. 🤷‍♂️ I don't know how I missed that but all is better  and we are up and running. THanks

• The topic was locked