Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility will not find Unit

Daleysan

Everything worked Halloween.  Changed no connections and only updated software.

RS485 Adapter.  Computer finds in Comm 3.   Connect to CMB24D DC controller and LED goes from blinking to solid.  Try and search unit in Hardware Utility and says it can’t find any units.  Tried full reboots of all hardware including computer.  Tried updating 485 driver.  Tried renaming units one at a time.  Don’t understand how it went from finding units to not finding units. Seems like connection is good.

It does not.  I tried to play the Xmas one first.  When it did not work I tried the Halloween file that previously worked and the lights failed to come on.  That is when I went to the HU to troubleshoot and realized the communication issue.

Couple of things to try:  Do a factory reset on the CBM24D.  I've had (and still do have) issues with CMB24D's not correctly reading their unit id from the DIP switches.  Sometimes resetting the power (and/or doing a factory reset) gets it to respond correctly again.  I would also double check your cable to the controller.  You could have had a critter take a bite out of it.  It's also amazing how easily & quickly the cabling can fail and/or degrade and cause issues even without signs of visible damage (see my video on the dangers of using CCA Cable)

Thank you.  I have two units and have only had this equipment 2 months.  Today I bought a new computer to use exclusively with this system.  I did the factory reset of CMB units (both). I tried new Cat wire and tested each unit independently.  Same issue.  LED turns solid as if computer is communicating to each unit but won’t turn on the lights.  I am feeling pretty defeated.  Could it be something is wrong with USB 485 adaptor?

First, always keep a spare adaptor on hand, they do occasionally fail and your dead in the water without it. Get a red one for future proofing and they are only a few dollars more.

If the lights are solid with HU then the adaptor sounds ok. Have you set your network prefs on the new machine and is control panel running.

Did you close HU, only one LOR program at a time can use the com port.

Did you copy your entire LOR data folder structure to the new machine. you need the sequences and some other files, notably the preview file.

You said you updated the 485 driver.  What did you use to updated it (and to what)?  I can remember some older issues where using the wrong Com driver caused issues with LOR.  On my system I'm using the FTDI driver dated 8/16/2017 v2.12.28.0

You might also want to get a trouble ticket started with LOR as well if you're still having problems after checking Phil's and my suggestions.

Just to add, if you plugged in the adaptor before you added the drivers, Windows, trying to be helpful, might install its own generic drivers, which don't usually work .However if the HU is reading the controllers, I would say its probably not that.

COM# -> LOR network name may have changed. Use the Network Preference Utility to map the COM#'s to LOR network.

eg Com11 -> Regular

• The topic was locked