Light-O-Rama Forums

1602 MP3 Audio Port

dkoehler42

Is the 3.5 mm audio port on the MP3 section of the controller powered?  I'm considering using outdoor speakers that don't have their own power supply.

No 3.5 mm audio jack ever carries power. Not possible. The audio output MAY be strong enough to drive efficient speakers but you may not get much volume.

Any suggestions on an AC powered speaker that would work then?  I'm having trouble finding something that's a basic speaker with power and  aux input.

I have the FM transmitter, but I'd like a straight speaker to connect to the aux input.  I saw Wowlights was selling a Yorkville C120P that's plug and play, but that's $150 elsewhere minimum.

I also am taking the audio output from my show computer and splitting that to my FM transmitter and also to the amps that are driving my yard speakers (separate amplifiers in my bedroom closet driving four speakers in the yard).

10 hours ago, dkoehler42 said:

Any suggestions on an AC powered speaker that would work then?  I'm having trouble finding something that's a basic speaker with power and  aux input.

Any older desktop Computer speakers (before they went USB), that had the green 3.5 plug. I used a set I got with my W95c computer in the warehouse where I was racking servers. The front office yelled for me to turn it down.

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Any older desktop Computer speakers (before they went USB), that had the green 3.5 plug. I used a set I got with my W95c computer in the warehouse where I was racking servers. The front office yelled for me to turn it down.

That would work indoors, but this would be going outside in the Northeast US.  It gets awfully wet and chilly out there.

22 minutes ago, dkoehler42 said:

That would work indoors, but this would be going outside in the Northeast US.  It gets awfully wet and chilly out there.

Cold is not an issue. Simply put them in a Shelter (mini dog house) above the snow level, far enough back that direct rain  does not strike the grill (avoid the fabrics grills)