Jump to content

How to change the path used in a configuration


taybrynn
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can't figure out how to change the subdirectory path now that my laptop had been rebuilt (after hard drive failure).

C:Documents and SettingsAll Users
is now changed to
C"Documents and SettingsScott and Chris

How do I reflect this in my configuration files ?

Is there any approved way to edit a .lcc file without corrupting it?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There IS something called LORPost ... not sure what that is.

I tried it ... but it still doesn't like the path embedded in the configuration file.

I do have the sequences in a subdirectory under the normal sequences directory.

Do you think I should move it into the default sequences directory and try again?

It is a little confusing to me what this utility is intending to do.

I can specify a path for LOR ... but I'm not sure ... is there with the "Light-O-Rama" directory root should be?

I tried specifying the My Documents/Light-O-Rama and also the location for my sequences, which is My Documents/Light-O-Rama/Sequences/2008/80ch ... and neither had the desired result.

THe latter actualy re-created all my directories under /80ch ... i.e. /80ch/Sequences ... and copied all bunch of files in there ... so that wasn't what I wanted either.

I already have all my files in the right places, I just want my configuration file to know thats its not /All Users its not /Scott and Chris that holds the My Documents folder. How confusing, I know.

THanks,
Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused by your posts. In the first one you say it is now "C"documents and SettingsScott and Chris". But in your last post you state that "its not /Scott and Chris that holds the My Documents folder". This seems to be contradictory. What is the user name you are logging in as?
A far as the lorpost.exe utility, it gives you the option to browse to the directory that contains your files and select it. Did you do this?

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I did that ... but when I click on animation ... it still looks in the old location. I can open the configuration file and its hard-coded into the xml there. I don't think the conversion utility modifies the .lcc (config) files, it just sets a new LOR home.

Sorry about my last post, I typo-d basely and can't change it now.

My original thread post said it correctly.

I now log in as "Scott and Chris" ... previously I logged in at either Chris or Scott ... but the All Users is where the My Documents resided. Now it resides under /Scott and Chris instead of /All Users.

Does anyone know how to edit the .lcc (config) files? I can import it into excel and do a global replace, but when I saved it back out the file goes from like 90k to 1300k ... and still doesn't work work, despite changing the file paths in excel. Obviously, this way isn't working for me.

I really hate how XP implements the My Documents stuff ... now I just want to move everything to C:Light-O-Rama on all machines and just leave it that way. Thats a side (future) goal ... right now, I'm trying to get the animation window working ... I suppose I could create /All Users/Light-O-Rama and fix it that way instead (probably easier).

Thanks,
Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't realize your main problem is the animation not working. Your previous posts didn't indicate that. You are correct in that the lorpost.exe utility sets the default location for your LOR files including creating subdirectories for sequences and audio files. But it sounds like the only issue is that the animation cannot find the background image file, is this correct?

One option is is to select a new image in the animation window. You'll need to adjust the resolution to match the original settins using the (+) or (-) keys. Once this is done, you can export the channel config and import it into you other sequences. If you decide to edit the .lcc file to change the image location, you need to use an editor that supports reading and writing XML. I use a freeware program called TextEdit 2.1 and it works fine on LOR files. Here is the link:
http://www.download.com/TextEdit/3000-2351_4-10398908.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10557648

But if you are running LOR on multiple computers with different user logins, I would take the time now to standardize the location so the files are easily moved between machines. I use "C:Light-O-Rama" as the root for all of my files.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

taybrynn wrote:

I can't figure out how to change the subdirectory path now that my laptop had been rebuilt (after hard drive failure).

C:Documents and SettingsAll Users
is now changed to
C"Documents and SettingsScott and Chris

How do I reflect this in my configuration files ?

Is there any approved way to edit a .lcc file without corrupting it?

Thanks in advance,
Scott


I have put my files in C:LOR. I never did like that programs store data files under Documents and settings simple for the fact that most want to store it under a user. Not one of Microsofts good ideas.

The .lcc files are XML files and you can edit them with notepad. Select the file, right click and the click on OPEN WITH. Select notepad and open. You will be able to edit and save the file.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

garyfunk wrote:

taybrynn wrote:
I can't figure out how to change the subdirectory path now that my laptop had been rebuilt (after hard drive failure).

C:Documents and SettingsAll Users
is now changed to
C"Documents and SettingsScott and Chris

How do I reflect this in my configuration files ?

Is there any approved way to edit a .lcc file without corrupting it?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I have put my files in C:LOR. I never did like that programs store data files under Documents and settings simple for the fact that most want to store it under a user. Not one of Microsofts good ideas.


I'm a little confused by your staement. All individual user's data is stored under the Documents and Settings/ directory. Are you saying that all users should store their data in the same location?

Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No ... I am just stating that the default installation location for LOR S2 seems to be to create a Light-O-Rama folder under "My Documents" ... but My Documents seems to depend on who you log in as, how many users are on the PC, etc.

So I was just stating that, since I share (and backup) the sequence and configuration files between two different computers, it would (in retrospect) have been easier if I have just installed them into a C:LOR as Gary does.

Then I would have better consistency between machines and it would have made backing up and recovering easier, since they My Documents (which can vary as I said above) would not have messed things up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I misunderstood your previous post where you said "I never did like that programs store data files under Documents and settings..." I thought you were referring to any program installed in a Windows environment. I agree that it is more flexible when you use a common directory for LOR files. I have always used a directory off of the root of C since the upgrade to version 2.x when they first introduced the new data file structure. But at least they have the utility to allow you to change the location after the fact.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark Steele wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
taybrynn wrote:
I can't figure out how to change the subdirectory path now that my laptop had been rebuilt (after hard drive failure).

C:Documents and SettingsAll Users
is now changed to
C"Documents and SettingsScott and Chris

How do I reflect this in my configuration files ?

Is there any approved way to edit a .lcc file without corrupting it?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I have put my files in C:LOR. I never did like that programs store data files under Documents and settings simple for the fact that most want to store it under a user. Not one of Microsofts good ideas.


I'm a little confused by your staement. All individual user's data is stored under the Documents and Settings/ directory. Are you saying that all users should store their data in the same location?

Mark


No. I am saying programs should store their data under there own directory.

Documents and Settings/ is for MY data. No other programs, no other users.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

taybrynn wrote:

No ... I am just stating that the default installation location for LOR S2 seems to be to create a Light-O-Rama folder under "My Documents" ... but My Documents seems to depend on who you log in as, how many users are on the PC, etc.

So I was just stating that, since I share (and backup) the sequence and configuration files between two different computers, it would (in retrospect) have been easier if I have just installed them into a C:LOR as Gary does.

Then I would have better consistency between machines and it would have made backing up and recovering easier, since they My Documents (which can vary as I said above) would not have messed things up.

Scott, just reinstall the program, select C:LOR to store the data, move all of your files there and then open each one and adjust the paths as needed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

garyfunk wrote:

Open each .lms file and point it to where the audio files are, then resave them. I'm still new to a lot of this. I know there are lms, las and lcc files.

lms - musical sequence file
las - animation sequence file
lcc - channel configuration file
In addition LOR uses the following:
lss - show file
weeksched.lsc and yearsched.lsc - schedule files

I'm just mentioning these for reference purposes. For most users, it's probably best not to attempt to edit these unless they have a compatible editor.

As far as Scott's problem, he never replied back to my post asking the specific issue he is having with the animation. So I'll just assume he got it straightened out.

Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...