Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting Controllers

RyanB123

HELP! I have three controllers and just tried to connect the third and it is not working. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I have a cat-5 going from controller 1 to controller 2 and from controller 2 to controller 3. For some reason it is not working. I have also set the Unit ID to 3 on controller 3.

Can you describe a bit more about "it's not working" ?

Does it power on? (yes?) Does it get a steady status light when you connect to it? (yes?) Does your programming use Unit ID 3? Does it not do what you programmed?

Just now, Don said:

Can you describe a bit more about "it's not working" ?

Does it power on? (yes?) Does it get a steady status light when you connect to it? (yes?) Does your programming use Unit ID 3? Does it not do what you programmed?

Yes it powers on. If connected to my computer and to the hardware utility as the only controller it works. Once I connect the two other controllers it does not work. As not working I mean that it is not doing what I have programmed in the sequence editor. 

When you connect it to the other two controllers, is the status light staying solid? Hopefully so.

If it is, then that would usually point to an error in the sequence/Preview, and Unit 03 not being in there. If you want to send in a help desk ticket and attach the sequence there, I'll take a look.

3 minutes ago, Don said:

When you connect it to the other two controllers, is the status light staying solid? Hopefully so.

If it is, then that would usually point to an error in the sequence/Preview, and Unit 03 not being in there. If you want to send in a help desk ticket and attach the sequence there, I'll take a look.

No when I play a sequence the controller 3 status light blinks

I'm going to guess you've swapped cables around. If not, see what happens (if possible) when you connect only #1 to #3, same for #2 to #3.

Since the light on #3 starts blinking when connected to other LOR devices, that has me thinking there is a wire (or pin) crossed somewhere that's causing it to lose connection.

24 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm going to guess you've swapped cables around. If not, see what happens (if possible) when you connect only #1 to #3, same for #2 to #3.

Since the light on #3 starts blinking when connected to other LOR devices, that has me thinking there is a wire (or pin) crossed somewhere that's causing it to lose connection.

That is what I am thinking as well.  Hopefully you have tried also swapping cat 5 cables.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, Don said:

This worked thank you for your help !