Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PG3 Box iSSUES

Dave Atarave

I have 4 boxes and the last box the first 8 outlets in the box stopped working all together I have replaced the fuse but this has not helped.. 

outlets 9 - 16 are still working fine and i have a green light on my circuit board.. 

I have updated the box to the latest firmware 16PC-G3 Ver 1.1 

the outlets just stopped working all together .. can someone tell me what might be the problem and how to fix 

If it reads V1.1?, then it is wrong.  The latest FW is 1.11

I just chased this (version issue) down (also the last box on the net)

Short story: Cr*p CAT5  (suspect cross talk noise). FWIW this was a 50' of CAT5 (no letters) from the 10Mbps era. real  low twist count

Longer version: Green LED was on, Downgraded (single device connected when loading FW: CAT5 across the lawn) to 1.09.

HU could not always find the device when on the full net even with a Green LED. Terminated w/120ohms. LED goes OFF and HU could never find.

Bined  that cable and a fresh run and we seem good.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, TheDucks said:

If it reads V1.1?, then it is wrong.  The latest FW is 1.11

I just chased this (version issue) down (also the last box on the net)

Short story: Cr*p CAT5  (suspect cross talk noise). FWIW this was a 50' of CAT5 (no letters) from the 10Mbps era. real  low twist count

Longer version: Green LED was on, Downgraded (single device connected when loading FW: CAT5 across the lawn) to 1.09.

HU could not always find the device when on the full net even with a Green LED. Terminated w/120ohms. LED goes OFF and HU could never find.

Bined  that cable and a fresh run and we seem good.

Hi, thanks for sharing. I have similar issues, suddenly. I have tried a bunch of cables but no luck. My CTB16PCG3 goes in and out of sync all the time. May I ask what cable you used? Cat6?

BR Henrik

Most people use Cat5e as there's no real reason to spend more for Cat 6 (unless you are running a lot of pixels over E1.31 - then it may make sense to use Cat 6 for that).  Another thing to watch out for is that your cables are made of pure copper wire and not CCA (copper covered aluminum).  I recently found our the hard way the problems CCA wire can cause.

If you're making your own cables, I would highly recommend using an outdoor rated Cat5 cable to connect your controllers.  I just switched all of my control cables this year as I was having problems with lags and controllers dropping out.

Here's a couple of links to videos I made about the control cables and CCA wire:

Creating new Data Control Cables with Outdoor Rated Cat5 Cable

Issues using CCA Cable

IMHO the only reason to use CAT6 in a 10/100 network: EM Noise immunity. That issue is common in areas where large electrics are in use (Industrial) or the inability to space away a few inches from other power running alonsid.

LOR is not even that. It is Serial, made to drive up to 4000' when properly terminated.

One thing I have noted (was chasing net issues) is there are 2 pair (7+8, 1+2) that are not loaded. (Wish I had a o-Scope), because something was going on, that a simple CAT5 (VDV) continuity tester did not show

• The topic was locked