Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and LEDs

Guest guest

Reading Annalisa's (the crazy light lady) post in the LED forum, she commented that she had a problem with generators triggering flashes in the LEDs. I have the same problem with some of my LEDs.

Specifically, I have two separate controllers. Controller 1 has 16 sets of LEDs - one per channel. Controller 2 has a power strip with 15 strobes. When just the strobes are firing, I see some of the LEDs light up with no apparent pattern.

Why is this happening? How can I fix this? Does this happen to anyone else?

I am not using a generator - I use house current. I was referring to having the same symptoms as Annalisa in her post in another section of the forum. She was using a generator.

I am using two LOR1602W Showtime controllers that are plugged into a single powerstrip that is plugged into the wall. The flashing happens only to the LEDS which are on controller 1. The strobes are on controller 2 with two other channels of minis. The LEDS on a separate controller flash when the strobes are firing but the minis on the same controller as the strobes don't have the same problem.

Do strobes throw off interference that can cause the controllers to momentarily flash the LEDs? If so, why not the minis? Should I just keep the controllers away from strobes and nuclear explosions?

Thanks, Roger.

This is for Dan and anyone else that understands electronics: I bet it's because the strobes are sending out inductive noise on the power line because of the high voltage needed for the strobe light. The incandescent bulbs act as a snubber, even when they're off. The LED's, when off, present no load and allow the noise to go into the TRIAC cause the gate to trigger for one half cycle.

Do these boards have the snubber parts installed? If not, these would probably stop this from happening in the case of LED's being used.

Roger: If you plug a single C7 bulb in parallel with an LED string I believe the problem will stop. A night light (with a C7 installed) plugged into the same output would work, just to test this.

ErnieHorning wrote:

This is for Dan and anyone else that understands electronics: I bet it's because the strobes are sending out inductive noise on the power line because of the high voltage needed for the strobe light. The incandescent bulbs act as a snubber, even when they're off. The LED's, when off, present no load and allow the noise to go into the TRIAC cause the gate to trigger for one half cycle.

Do these boards have the snubber parts installed? If not, these would probably stop this from happening in the case of LED's being used.

Roger: If you plug a single C7 bulb in parallel with an LED string I believe the problem will stop. A night light (with a C7 installed) plugged into the same output would work, just to test this.

It sounds plausible. We use snubberless triacs so we do not have locations for the CAP and Resistor used in a snubbing circuit. Plus, because these controllers are intended mostly for lights additional snubbing should not be required.

Agreed that in most cases a resistive load on the LED circuit (a light bulb as mentioned) generally makes everything work better.