Light-O-Rama Forums

G3 Mp3 director Issues.. I am having glitches... Comparing sd card sizes and possibly missing something during write session

GriswoldStyle

So I am using S4 software version 4.4.6  but I have noticed a bit of confusing details regarding sd cards. The manual as someone pointed out states up to 8gb sd card towards the end of the manual. However I have been using 16 gb cards for the last 3 years without issue including last year which was my first year using the g3 director. Before that was the mini director... . This year it seems to be hit or miss when I write an sd card and the same card will bring different results each time I write to sd card and the only thing that changed this year was I added a pixel tree. Every time I write a different sd card for the show, I get different results. Some are glitchy and some are great. Keep in mind I am using a kingston on every write session just different sizes. This year I added a 16x50 pixel tree. I have it on enhanced network 500k. That is running through aux A network. That is the only thing on that network due to previous issues with g3 controller not working well when I started testing and getting stuck on random shimmers to a channel (randomized not always the same channel) So needless to say after replacing all cat5e cables, nothing changed. Burned a new sd card and problem went away. So I started experimenting with different kingston sd cards and found almost every single one of them yielded different results. A couple leave pixels on during transitions like a lag behind when it should be off, some would glitch out regular network channels with a random shimmer and some leave a very mild but noticeable white haze of the tree when it should be black or off in the background coloring. By that I mean some effects when they come on such as an image will have pixels on very very mildly when they should be off completely. To me it is visible but to my guests they would think it is part of the show. It isnt always on. Some images it does it for a second or two and then goes away. Others it is like that until the image changes on the tree.

This is all new to me but when I hook the computer up directly and play it, it does not do that. Only when running from the sd card. The pixel tree is new and was just purchased this year from LOR. The g3 was purchased last year from lor. Now back to the sd cards.... I noticed the 8gb sd simply can not keep up. It was the one that came with my lor system back in 2016. So scratch that card. I have a 16gb that works. Somewhere this year I heard the g3/g4 could handle a 32 gb card. So I tried it. Bought a 2 pack. One randomly goes bad and displays wingding folders that were not added to the card. Sometimes it reads error on the director screen. The other of the two 32 gb sd cards works perfectly but displays the mild white background (almost like if static on an old tv was peeking through. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the cards bring mixed results. Or maybe it is the reader/writer that came with the pixel tree kit or maybe it is the software itself. So I am reaching out to see if anyone has come across this or can offer a suggestion on how to overcome it. 

I tried to provide as much info as possible. Ultimately I am trying to see if anyone can suggest the perfect sd card. I have a Kingston canvas react coming in today that is class 10 and uhs 100mb/s. Hoping that will make a difference.   Is there something I can do to maybe make the files cleaner or maybe I am missing something. When I make the sequence I simply save it. Should I be compressing it or anything? Is there a step I am overlooking? I jumped into lor with ac channels in 2016. Moved to pixel arches in 2018. I thought the pixel tree would be simple but this year it has been non stop something lol. I might be missing a step or not doing something properly. Can someone give me a step by step that they do for a successful show on sd card? Is there a setting I should look for in the software? I write all my cards directly through hardware utility. I have not messed with or changed any settings since I started using the software. I do not want to mess with something without guidance.

I know this is a lot of info but wanted to explain everything in the hopes someone might better understand where I am screwing up or if I am at all... 

Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

I bought 2 Kingston 32GB class 4 SD Cards for my N4-G4 Director {just downloaded the manual that covers the N2-G3/N4-G4 Directors and they use up to a 32GB SD Card}.  But both these SD Cards have yielded the exact same results when set to run a show.  I've had no issues with mine at all, at least not yet.

4 hours ago, Orville said:

I bought 2 Kingston 32GB class 4 SD Cards for my N4-G4 Director {just downloaded the manual that covers the N2-G3/N4-G4 Directors and they use up to a 32GB SD Card}.  But both these SD Cards have yielded the exact same results when set to run a show.  I've had no issues with mine at all, at least not yet.

I ended up getting a Kingston React 32gb class 10 pro grade sd card. Seems all my problems are now solved. So very odd though as the other cards seemed to glitch up. One thing I did try differently is I used a different writer usb. Perhaps the one lor sent me was defective. Because now I am having no more problems. So Im not sure if it was the cards or the reader but there is no more lag in my show. I have ordered an additional React sd card as well as a backup. One thing I have learned is to buy directly from Kingston or through links on kingstons site. The ones are amazon are not always what they claim to be. Too many potential fakes even through prime sellers. Either way my problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone who offered help under both threads even though they were two different issues but now seem to be all related.

8 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I ended up getting a Kingston React 32gb class 10 pro grade sd card. Seems all my problems are now solved. So very odd though as the other cards seemed to glitch up. One thing I did try differently is I used a different writer usb. Perhaps the one lor sent me was defective. Because now I am having no more problems. So Im not sure if it was the cards or the reader but there is no more lag in my show. I have ordered an additional React sd card as well as a backup. One thing I have learned is to buy directly from Kingston or through links on kingstons site. The ones are amazon are not always what they claim to be. Too many potential fakes even through prime sellers. Either way my problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone who offered help under both threads even though they were two different issues but now seem to be all related.

I buy all my Kingston SD Cards directly from Kingston too.   Wouldn't go any other route.  

I found them for a lot less at other places, but when something is so drastically reduced than what the actual manufacturer sells it for, that sets off the red lights and warning bells in my head.

• The topic was locked