Light-O-Rama Forums

Netgear switch or easier way to control boxes

hope4ia

Hello,

This year we decided to try something different to make it easier to control all of our boxes.  We have Netgear switch, that we have plugged 10 of the control boxes into.  I have run the hardware utility and can't detect those boxes plugged in to the switch.  Anyone has success with doing this or is there something we need to do differently?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, hope4ia said:

Hello,

This year we decided to try something different to make it easier to control all of our boxes.  We have Netgear switch, that we have plugged 10 of the control boxes into.  I have run the hardware utility and can't detect those boxes plugged in to the switch.  Anyone has success with doing this or is there something we need to do differently?

Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Unplug those controller net cables FAST. Magic smoke can (and might have) happened

Netgear makes wonderful ETHERNET switches (I use nothing but the Pro line on my network),

BUT LOR is RS485 Serial (unless you are using the Pixcon, then it has ONE Ethernet port along with LOR ports

You daisy chain RS485 (and optionally terminate the end unit with 120 ohms)

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Unplug those controller net cables FAST. Magic smoke can (and might have) happened

Netgear makes wonderful ETHERNET switches (I use nothing but the Pro line on my network),

BUT LOR is RS485 Serial (unless you are using the Pixcon, then it has ONE Ethernet port along with LOR ports

You daisy chain RS485 (and optionally terminate the end unit with 120 ohms)

Thanks!  Unplugging immediately and praying for a miracle!

If it is not a PoE switch, you likely did not damage your LOR controllers.  Potentially could have damaged the switch...

All Ethernet devices use tiny transformers. (Read about Ethernet transformers.) LOR controllers use pair 1 for signaling, and pair 2 with about 9VDC, to power an ELL or other LOR device that doesn't have its own power cord. Since Ethernet transformers are very small, they are wound with very tiny wire that has a low impedance to DC, and will likely melt in under a second if you try to put 9V across them.

• The topic was locked