Light-O-Rama Forums

Ethernet port failure

tbrunt

Hi I have a 16 port residential unit (not sure the exact model). I am running 4 controllers. One of the 2 ethernet ports is not working. I have reset the controller, but no luck. I am able to recognize the box and ALL other boxes if this unit is the last unit in the chain, but I can't get the unit to pass through data on the failed port so if its not the last port I can't see anything after this one.

Any suggestions? or do I need an emergency replacement for the whole unit?

Your Ethernet jack may have 1 or 2 issues: 

#1. And the hardest one to fix:

Usually the issue is the solder joints have broken loose and the jack is no longer seated and making proper contact with the circuit board.   You can take the circuit board out of the box and try re-soldering the jack back to the board to secure the connection again.   Or it may need to be completely replaced, desoldered and new one put in it's stead.   If you can solder, you can do this yourself.  If not, you'd either need to find someone that can do it for you or send it back to LOR for repair.

#2: And the easiest and usually the most common issue:

The other issue is easier and less complicated to fix, the wire fingers inside the jack may have gotten bent out of shape and need to be straightened, you'll need a very small flat blade screwdriver {like a jewelers screwdriver} or some type of very thin flat object to lift the contact fingers back up to make contact with the cat5 cable in the jack with the issue.

These are usually the two main causes of a cat5 jack not to function in a controller.

Hopefully it'll be an easy fix and a repair you can do yourself.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tbrunt said:

Hi I have a 16 port residential unit (not sure the exact model). I am running 4 controllers. One of the 2 ethernet ports is not working. I have reset the controller, but no luck. I am able to recognize the box and ALL other boxes if this unit is the last unit in the chain, but I can't get the unit to pass through data on the failed port so if its not the last port I can't see anything after this one.

Any suggestions? or do I need an emergency replacement for the whole unit?

Easiest thing to do to get thru Christmas is to place that controller last in line, that way you just use the port still working. Reassign ID number on the failed controller to the number usually last in line and same for the replacement, then after Christmas you can repair or send to LOR for repair.

Keith

THEY ARE NOT Ethernet ports.  They are RJ45 jacks.

Cheat if you can't move the location in the chain.

Get an RJ45 Y and a very short patch (6" or less) cable. RS485 will tolerate a tiny bit of T

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7294&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXlzmOujSuiFplw8PObh7qA9pnEvgoclfiZU01P2mNG3zwJL6zoPHwhoCjYYQAvD_BwE

Don't get a 'splitter'

I am having this same issue on box 4. The power is going through, but box and computer are not seeming to talk to each other. I have changed out the cat cable too. 

8 hours ago, Rocky Pond said:

I am having this same issue on box 4. The power is going through, but box and computer are not seeming to talk to each other. I have changed out the cat cable too. 

There are 2 RJ45 ports and 1 RJ11 port, have you tried swapping out the cables positions in the controllers, moving the controllers to a different position in the sequence of controllers. You need to identify which controller is having the issue then move it to the end of the line and use the one RJ45 connector that is working. Or you could use the RJ11 connector with telephone wire and connector for the controller that is having the issue.

Keith

11 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

There are 2 RJ45 ports and 1 RJ11 port, have you tried swapping out the cables positions in the controllers, moving the controllers to a different position in the sequence of controllers. You need to identify which controller is having the issue then move it to the end of the line and use the one RJ45 connector that is working. Or you could use the RJ11 connector with telephone wire and connector for the controller that is having the issue.

Keith

We have narrowed it down to the controller.  I can connect to all the other boxes.  I will try the phone cord connector and see if that works.  

Just now, Rocky Pond said:

We have narrowed it down to the controller.  I can connect to all the other boxes.  I will try the phone cord connector and see if that works.  

Have also changed the plug spots too.

20 minutes ago, Rocky Pond said:

The green light in the controller is blinking really fast.  What would be another option?

Fast says the board is in RESET.  Had you moved the JP3 jumper to the Reset position? You need to power off and move it back to pins 4+5

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Fast says the board is in RESET.  Had you moved the JP3 jumper to the Reset position? You need to power off and move it back to pins 4+5

Can you give me instructions on how to do this?

6 hours ago, Rocky Pond said:

Can you give me instructions on how to do this?

Your board came with a Yellow booklet, which can explain better than I.

BUT if you did not move that JP3 jumper.  1st: Is this a Factory assembled unit or the DIY (just the final assy) kit?

It may be that your FW is corrupt. Connect ONLY this box to your adapter. Does HU find anything? (might say boot loader)? If it does: Download the firmware for your  model (should be gen3 because of the Green LED) from LOR. Follow the  procedure at the end of the manual for updating Firmware

• The topic was locked